PDA

View Full Version : Cracking paint prep question.

TurbododgePirate
10-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Okay, on the front nose cone of my 1986 Shelby charger it looks like it took a small hit a long time ago and spidered the paint. I sanded down into the yellow plastic pretty well, but not all the way to remove all of the cracks. I have since epoxy-primered the nosecone. You can still see it a little, and I had planned on a little glaze over the area and wet sanding it. However, I don't want that area to return in the future. Should I remove more plastic so all the small cracks are gone and use filler to build it back up? Looks like I'll have the same issue with the rear bumper. Any qualified advice????

~~Heath

MiniMopar
10-10-2006, 04:00 PM
I would use a filler, but the normal glazing stuff is too brittle. There is a filler for this sort of thing, but the name escapes me.

Aries_Turbo
10-12-2006, 07:53 PM
dont go the whole way to the plastic... its hard to get paint to bond to it again without special stuff.

yeah you need something with some kind of flex agent to use with the flexible bumper.

Brian

GLHS592
10-12-2006, 09:34 PM
I think I'd try to find a nicer one if at all possible. I bought an excellent rear bumper cover from Jay in Ohio.

Orangetona
10-15-2006, 12:23 PM
yeah you need something with some kind of flex agent to use with the flexible bumper.

I know from experience that you NEED the flex additive with the rubber parts. If you dont, in a month you will have cracks. I know from experience. You dont need it on the metal parts but I use it just incase.