PDA

View Full Version : Steering column roll pin removal?

c2xejk
10-20-2016, 07:04 AM
Working on replacing the steering rack on an 89 Daytona. Can't figure out how to remove the roll pin at the base of the column. Doesn't seem like enough room to hammer it out.

Any tips or tricks?

83scamp
10-20-2016, 07:44 AM
You shouldn't have to remove the roll pin. The coupler at the base of the column is a slip fit. It just pulls out and you can remove the column. I didn't have to remove any roll pins when I pulled the column on my 89 Daytona...

DevoBuzz
10-20-2016, 05:32 PM
Roll pin removal is an L body only thing I believe. Joint should be slip fit. It was D shaped on my 89 Lancer.

Warren Stramer
10-20-2016, 11:34 PM
Working on replacing the steering rack on an 89 Daytona. Can't figure out how to remove the roll pin at the base of the column. Doesn't seem like enough room to hammer it out.

Any tips or tricks?

My 84 Laser XE has the same roll pin, I remove the left wheel, turn the steering shaft so that the pin is facing out, made a long pin drive shaft from 24" piece of 3/8" rod, ground down to the diam. of the roll pin........hammer away, get a friend to support the opposite side of the coupling with a three pound hammer.

Dr. Johny Dodge
10-21-2016, 01:15 AM
89 should simply be a slip joint

remove the lower / under dash panel
drop the cllm
pull the cllm rearwards

the flex joint should pull apart and the bottom of the cllm should pull out of the lower bracket