PDA

View Full Version : any room for a 16v in a mini?

justafor
01-08-2006, 02:52 AM
Just as it says, I am not familiar with the engine bay of a minivan, but would like to have the ability to 16v one. Been looking for family comfort and honestly seen some fords I'd like to do, but you guys are like a bad drug...can't kick ya,lol. I know money is always the issue and trust me I've been there, just gonna keep it around 10k this time (funny when single you don't spend as much,lol)

Russ Jerome
01-08-2006, 03:27 AM
Yes sir MR. justa4 it will fit, with room to spare!

I happen to know a guy in Milw who owes you a
great debt and is willing to help in any way sir!

turbovanmanČ
01-08-2006, 05:47 AM
Theres slightly more room at the back and tons more in front, where the intake manifold goes.

The S is Silent
01-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Theres slightly more room at the back and tons more in front, where the intake manifold goes.

You could throw one hell of an intake manifold on a minivan. You have the space to engineer the perfect manifold :thumb:

Una
01-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Or any of the stock DOHC manifolds..They probably all fit in there just fine..

Chris Faulk
01-08-2006, 04:37 PM

Slightly?

Man is that ever an understatement! :lol:

There's a TON of room between the firewall and engine.

turbovanmanČ
01-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Slightly?

Man is that ever an understatement! :lol:

There's a TON of room between the firewall and engine.

Not really. My 2 piece intake is only an 1inch away from the firewall and only a few inches room on top of it, I am using a header for all models, my turbo just clears but just below where the turbo is, the firewall is pulled back so there, yep, tons of room there. Hope this makes sense, lol!

Chris Faulk
01-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Not really. My 2 piece intake is only an 1inch away from the firewall and only a few inches room on top of it, I am using a header for all models, my turbo just clears but just below where the turbo is, the firewall is pulled back so there, yep, tons of room there. Hope this makes sense, lol!

True...thanks for the details.

Stevien1
01-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I find on the vans that the engine is set lower in the engine bay when compaired to the cars. This makes it a pain to do anything to the back of the engine from above (like trying to adjust a wastegate arm or tighten a loose EGT probe.) The only thing the van engine bay has going for it is height....

Now with the van up on a hoist, I could almost change the turbo through the exhaust tunnel! ;)

-Chuck James

Omniboy
01-09-2006, 09:34 AM
http://portfolio.iu.edu/ealucas/turbovan/turbovan.jpg

Here was the T3 in my mini

turbovanmanČ
01-09-2006, 01:12 PM
http://portfolio.iu.edu/ealucas/turbovan/turbovan.jpg

Here was the T3 in my mini

Does it run yet? TIII or Mini computer?

Dave
01-09-2006, 02:03 PM
You could throw one hell of an intake manifold on a minivan. You have the space to engineer the perfect manifold :thumb:

Or you could be like Russ and just a cut a hole in your hood. :eyebrows:

Omniboy
01-09-2006, 03:00 PM
ya it ran with the smec electronics. I'm putting it in my 87 charger now and will have a custom map for the smec.

justafor
01-15-2006, 12:50 AM
Yes sir MR. justa4 it will fit, with room to spare!

I happen to know a guy in Milw who owes you a
great debt and is willing to help in any way sir!

Will look you up in about 7 years as I must take a leave of absence at the end of the month. Gonna blow for sure (easy on the pun) but imagine how low the prices of these vehicles are gonna be when I get out...As long as you guys don't jack up the prices by ricers wanting them,lol.

turbovanmanČ
01-15-2006, 05:02 AM
I had to work on my van today and theres aprox 2 1/2 inches back there, at the intake, so not much, lol!

whywoody
01-26-2006, 02:34 AM
I use a log style ex.manifold with a ford/chrysler turbo,and I had to push the wall in about 3/4''.There is enough room up front to run the stock stratus intake (no a/c),which is what I use.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2137502

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2006, 03:00 AM
A dyno time, track time? how strong does it feel vs your old 8v? What have you revved it to?

whywoody
01-26-2006, 09:55 PM
A dyno time, track time? how strong does it feel vs your old 8v? What have you revved it to?

I haven't dyno'ed it,or run it down a track.I built this for a mechanical project rather than searching for horsepower.The only 8v engine I have ever had running was the stock 2.5 with a G head fitted,12 deg igniton timing,3" exhaust,small intercooler,early garrett T1 turbo,stock injectors and fpr,14psi max with Gvalve.
The hybrid set-up is alot stronger all over,from idle up to about 5thou rpm,haven't reved it much past there.This is with 2.4 cams and intake TB,ford/chrysler turbo,3" exhaust,ford 302 TB style injectors,NO intercooler (coming soon!),NO Gvalve just hooked the wastegate signal exactly as stock minivan,12 deg ignition timing,was trying to keep boost at stock 'till the 'cooler is done,but I find that the wastegate cannot bleed off enough pressure,and I have BIG trouble not hitting boost cut out with anything more than 2500rpm and 3/4 throttle.It is not so bad on the hiway in 5th (523 converted 3:50 diff) as the rpm is low enough,but in the first 4 gears you MUST control boost with your foot.
This is the main reason I have'nt dyno'ed it,as this set up was just to get me through the winter,until I could fit the hy35 and big 'cooler.We get alot of snow (usually!) up here,and I use it year round so more HP is useless to me right now.I will be using the stratus intake and TB with the new goodies,as I don't have the money to have a new one welded up.I also have 2.0 cams to try,but I like the way it runs now for what I use it for.I think it will be better with the hy35 all round,even off boost as the current turbine is WAY to restrictive.
This thing also gets alot better gas mileage than I could ever get from the 8v,so it is slowly paying itself off! It has done almost 7000klm's so far,and running strong enough for me.

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks, what kind of fuel economy are you getting?

whywoody
01-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Well,I was getting about 430klm,if lucky,to say 62 ltrs.I now get 550klm to the same amount of fuel and driving.This is alot of hiway,mixed abuse of the gas pedal,and at 4500' above sea level.The 8v was also with the 5sp,it was real bad in the winter with the auto,down to 350klms in the cold months!!
If my crappy math is right,that should be 8v@16-17mpg,and 16v@20-22mpg,corrrect me if I'm wrong please!

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2006, 11:11 PM
Well,I was getting about 430klm,if lucky,to say 62 ltrs.I now get 550klm to the same amount of fuel and driving.This is alot of hiway,mixed abuse of the gas pedal,and at 4500' above sea level.The 8v was also with the 5sp,it was real bad in the winter with the auto,down to 350klms in the cold months!!
If my crappy math is right,that should be 8v@16-17mpg,and 16v@20-22mpg,corrrect me if I'm wrong please!

Not bad, I am averaging 15mpg with my auto, you were averaging the same, and your stick numbers are bang on. Thats another reason I want to go 16v, I am sure theres more fuel economy there to be had with some tuning.