PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Experience With Rock Auto

1BADVAN
08-01-2016, 05:17 PM
I have liked ordering from them in the past, but I definitely will look for other places to buy now, I ordered a Gates belt for my shadow, receipt says Gates and everything but they ship me a crappy looking belt under a different name., so i try to return it online which doesn't give a way to describe this problem when "then they say the manufacturer says it should fit Its not our problem we will refund you 50%" What kind of super crappy customer service is this.

Then when i call the guy on the phone treats me like an idiot when i said the online thing didn't work because i don't want to have to pay 50% because they shipped me a different brand, the guy continues to argue and says because it was under private label they can ship me any brand they want claiming it was made by gates, but this belt is either super old or just a crappy belt.

Made me super pissed and just hung up on the guy because he wouldn't listen, so just beware if you ever try to ask questions about their mistake

black86glhs
08-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Make sure you read the description. Many times they are private label and it can be under any name.
Now with that said, I have never had a problem like that. I just returned some tie rods last week and never had a problem. Hopefully it isn't a sign of things to come.

tryingbe
08-01-2016, 06:30 PM
USPS lost the package of $100 of shocks. Rockauto sent me a second set right after I called them.

I highly recommend Rockauto.

Yes, private label means any brand.

1991SpiritES
08-01-2016, 06:43 PM
I have bought items from Rockauto a few times and they had shipped me the wrong stuff. I ordered an A/C line and they sent me an evaporator instead. They said they would send me the A/C line if I ship back the evaporator, at my cost. Yeah Rockauto sucks.

cbw1994
08-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Iv had them send me the wrong brake hose, for a complete different vehicle. Of course they wanted me to pay to ship it back before they would send me the correct one. So i said screw it and went to my local parts depot. I still order from them because their usually so much cheaper.

mopar-tech
08-01-2016, 06:49 PM
I have liked ordering from them in the past, but I definitely will look for other places to buy now, I ordered a Gates belt for my shadow, receipt says Gates and everything but they ship me a crappy looking belt under a different name., so i try to return it online which doesn't give a way to describe this problem when "then they say the manufacturer says it should fit Its not our problem we will refund you 50%" What kind of super crappy customer service is this.

I pointed this out in another thread- They freely admit they will substitute at any time and tough cookies.

marc
08-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Never had any problems with Rockauto.

ajakeski
08-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Private label and Dealer Closeout are usually old stock they bought out from a warehouse or supplier. I've still had better luck getting the correct parts from Rock than from my local parts store.

mopar-tech
08-01-2016, 07:59 PM
Private label and Dealer Closeout are usually old stock they bought out from a warehouse or supplier. I've still had better luck getting the correct parts from Rock than from my local parts store.

I ordered a premium Standard Industries O2 sensor and got a Bosch unit. When I called up to complain they stated they will substitute at any time with a "comparable part" after much badgering and a few threats they took the unit back. This isn't the first time its happened.

Private label and close outs anything goes and you take your chances... I'm not referring to that.

black86glhs
08-01-2016, 10:16 PM
I ordered a premium Standard Industries O2 sensor and got a Bosch unit. When I called up to complain they stated they will substitute at any time with a "comparable part" after much badgering and a few threats they took the unit back. This isn't the first time its happened.

Private label and close outs anything goes and you take your chances... I'm not referring to that.I agree. If it says a specific part, I expect that part. If it is just a generic replacement part, I'll live with it being a substitute. Be careful children and read the fine print.

MILKCARTON
08-01-2016, 11:17 PM
Never had any problems with Rockauto.

Me either, great to deal with

Vigo
08-02-2016, 12:20 PM
Ive only had one or two small issues and they were addressed quickly and painlessly.

Side of my fridge:

Reaper1
08-02-2016, 02:09 PM
I had to return a power steering hose because it wasn't to correct one. I had a decent experience with it, they sent me a return label via email, I reboxed the item and took it to a FedEx store. They shipped me the correct part as soon as they got my return.

Now, that hose is the one that failed on me (still on the car leaking like no tomorrow), so I'm going to get one made. I'm sick of crappy hydraulic hoses. I don't blame RA, for that, BTW. Just a crappy part. Not their fault.

BIGBRUDDA
08-02-2016, 08:13 PM
They sent me a tie rod end that in no way ever fit a Chrysler product. I had to go down the street to Orielly's. When I called about a return I got the "hold please" routine.It was only $7 but still. I've never been real impressed, the shipping usually drives the price up to comperable stores.

marc
08-02-2016, 08:28 PM
While it may not always cost effective due to the shipping, I still buy from them. I like the idea of being able to choose the brand and quality of the parts. I much rather have a Wagner brake rotor then a Duralast brake rotor.

ajakeski
08-02-2016, 08:37 PM
I agree. If it says a specific part, I expect that part. If it is just a generic replacement part, I'll live with it being a substitute. Be careful children and read the fine print.

Agree

mopar-tech
08-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Oh and the latest?

I ordered sway bar bushings for my sons car. Rock Auto states on their website that those same bushings fit a Ford truck! They fell out of the car inside 5 miles.

Rock Auto claimed they have no reason to issue a return tag since the manufacturer claims they will work for the application!

Look up 89 Shelby Daytona swaybar, 1.25" bushings.

I order A LOT of parts since we have 12 vehicles here and I work on customers cars time to time so that is a lot of volume for things to go wrong.. and they do.

looneytuner
08-03-2016, 10:53 AM
Sounds like a good time to contact your states attorney general. If their stated policy is not what is practiced they are subject to scrutiny. Refer them to this thread covering customers in several states. Rock will pay attention since it is cheaper than fighting states that have all the money needed.

dodgeman87
08-08-2016, 06:28 PM
I ordered a power steering hose for my '89 Chrysler Lebaron. Put in right model and engine. Sent me a belt that I thought was to short ( 38"), but I was going to Memphis in two days so we bump started the belt on. On the way back from Memphis the belt broke. Stopped at Chrysler dealer near Champaign, Il. and they asked me all the same questions but with one additional question. Did I have a plastic or metal reservoir ? The metal reservoir uses a 43" belt ( No wonder other belt was so tight ). So their computer program missed that and I got the wrong belt. Other than that I am pretty happy with them. I did email them with a note about this but don't know if they made any changes.
I did return a oil pressure sender two weeks ago that was the wrong one and they refunded my money. This was the only return I've made in about five years I have been using them . So I'm pretty happy.

J.R.

Wastelands Warrior
08-08-2016, 07:23 PM
I order a lot of stuff from them and cannot recall having any problems. I just installed 2 brand new cv shafts I got from them for my Spirit R/T and they were perfect.

cjbintx
08-09-2016, 06:39 PM
I will never buy from them again and try to steer anyone I know away from there after my experience with the attitude of their customer non-service department. Might be fine if you never have to deal with them. I just could not believe their unwillingness to correct a customer satisfaction issue at anything other than my continued expense when the parts received were not as advertised and had no disclaimers.

RockAuto
08-10-2016, 10:37 AM
I will never buy from them again and try to steer anyone I know away from there after my experience with the attitude of their customer non-service department. Might be fine if you never have to deal with them. I just could not believe their unwillingness to correct a customer satisfaction issue at anything other than my continued expense when the parts received were not as advertised and had no disclaimers.

I am sorry to hear of your concerns with our customer service. We try to make the return process as quick and easy as possible for all return situations through our step-by-step online return system. Customers are encouraged to use our "Order Status & Returns" page to report problems such as "Part Didn't Fit" and to quickly arrange a return. We use that information to improve the accuracy of our catalog, and we share it with our part manufacturers.

marc
08-10-2016, 06:00 PM
When I get ready to order from rockauto, I will go to the manufacturer web site of the parts I'm considering and double check the part numbers against rockauto's part numbers.

mopar-tech
08-10-2016, 06:29 PM
When I get ready to order from rockauto, I will go to the manufacturer web site of the parts I'm considering and double check the part numbers against rockauto's part numbers.

Doesn't matter, Rock Auto has stated they will substitute as they see fit.

Already been through this myself.

MILKCARTON
08-16-2016, 10:13 PM
I am sorry to hear of your concerns with our customer service. We try to make the return process as quick and easy as possible for all return situations through our step-by-step online return system. Customers are encouraged to use our "Order Status & Returns" page to report problems such as "Part Didn't Fit" and to quickly arrange a return. We use that information to improve the accuracy of our catalog, and we share it with our part manufacturers.

My car is built with Rockauto parts, you guys ROCK!

chromguy
08-16-2016, 10:27 PM
My car is built with Rockauto parts, you guys ROCK!

Rockauto no complaint with me, any issue and I complete as Rockauto suggested above using "Order Status & Returns". Fast and easy. So far works without issue.

Nemesismachine
08-17-2016, 12:44 AM
I have ordered from them, and every time have been sent the wrong parts. The 2 people here that have gotten it right are the minority. They sent me the wrong calipers for one of my cars, then charged me to restock the wrong part hen I sent it back. I'll pay the markup locally, f*ck rockauto and their comcast-like "customer service." The only thing worse than their commercials is their service.

tryingbe
08-17-2016, 01:49 AM
I bought a set of KYB shocks. USPS said they delivered it, nope, not on my porch. Called Rockauto and it says to follow the webpage and they will send me another pair at no extra cost. Sure enough, 2 days later, Fedex delivered it. A week goes by, USPS finally make the very late delivery, emailed Rockauto and ask them what to do, and they send me a Fedex shipping label.

No complain here.

fixit
08-17-2016, 12:05 PM
i've had good results with rock auto customer service.. but its a pain and you're responsible for shipping back..

there like any other provider its only as good as the manufactures description -- i've been burnt by gates selling a srt4 water pump and it was a neon one..

so unless its much cheaper than advanced auto parts (with one of there 20% off coupons) ....

MILKCARTON
08-17-2016, 12:08 PM
I have ordered from them, and every time have been sent the wrong parts. The 2 people here that have gotten it right are the minority. They sent me the wrong calipers for one of my cars, then charged me to restock the wrong part hen I sent it back. I'll pay the markup locally, f*ck rockauto and their comcast-like "customer service." The only thing worse than their commercials is their service.

It would probably help if you ordered the right parts, come on, every time???????

Rrider
08-17-2016, 12:37 PM
My fridge isn't quite as covered as Vigos, but I've had good luck with Rock for the most part. Had some bum parts but those were closeouts.

contraption22
08-17-2016, 02:00 PM
I just attempted to order a steering rack from them this morning. I clicked to order and a screen came up saying that it was processing my order, and not to hit refresh or back. So I let it run for 20 minutes. Finally I opened a new window. The item was not in my cart and the part was no longer available to order.

jonnymopar
08-17-2016, 02:48 PM
I guess I'll join the club. Here's most of them:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59165&stc=1

I've only had to return one item to RockAuto under manufacturer warranty. Quick and easy.

Also, I'm not sure if this happened lately, but I can't remember ever seeing so many actual Mopar parts available, albeit at an "outlying" warehouse. Still, between their prices, selection, and wholesaler closeouts offerings that I've cashed in on in the past, I've got nothing but good to say.

RockAuto
08-18-2016, 09:16 AM
I order a lot of stuff from them and cannot recall having any problems. I just installed 2 brand new cv shafts I got from them for my Spirit R/T and they were perfect.

We are happy to hear you are satisfied with your RockAuto experience!

- - - Updated - - -

This is what we like to hear! We are glad you are satisfied with your RockAuto experience, Jon!

I guess I'll join the club. Here's most of them:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59165&stc=1

I've only had to return one item to RockAuto under manufacturer warranty. Quick and easy.

Also, I'm not sure if this happened lately, but I can't remember ever seeing so many actual Mopar parts available, albeit at an "outlying" warehouse. Still, between their prices, selection, and wholesaler closeouts offerings that I've cashed in on in the past, I've got nothing but good to say.

mopar-tech
08-18-2016, 04:11 PM
We are happy to hear you are satisfied with your RockAuto experience!

Do you have a button on your keyboard that posts this automatically?

You have yet to address why Rock Auto reserves the right to substitute parts as they see fit even if a very specific brand and number is ordered and paid for, nor the fact if the "parts manufacture" states the parts fits but does not you have to send it back on the buyers dime.

Anyone can sell a piece and be done with a transaction, service after the sale is what separates the good from the bad.

Feel free to look up my purchase history, I buy several hundred parts a year and not terribly impressed.

RattFink
08-18-2016, 05:10 PM
I used to use RockAuto a lot more than I do now. I've had mixed experiences.

1) Ordered an O2 sensor, they sent me some random sensor that belonged on a Ford diesel engine. I contacted them and they sent the right part hassle free, they paid shipping, and they said I could just keep the wrong part too. I was happy with that experience.

2) Ordered a fuel pump for my daily driver. Paid for expedited shipping, but I wish I didn't because it took about the same amount of time as normal to get. Installed said part, and had issues with hard starts. The check valve in the pump was acting up. Contacted customer service. They wanted me to pull the pump, ship it back to them, then they would send me a replacement.... Ummm no, not happening, this is my daily driver... The problem got better and I sold the car anyway...

3) Ordered rear hatch supports/struts for my Charger. They sat in the garage for a couple months before I got around to installing them. They lasted all of 2 seconds before failing after I installed them. Customer service refused replacement because it had been over 30 days since ordering. This really made me angry, I was sold bad parts and denied even a refund. I don't see why it matters when I ordered them. Advance/Napa/Autozone would never do that to me.

I still buy from them, but only things like gaskets/sensors/small stuff for projects.
Critical components for my daily drivers get bought locally for ease of exchange.
Shipping has also got out of hand, usually a coupon for advance or autozone makes their prices competitive with rockauto

RockAuto
08-19-2016, 08:46 AM
Do you have a button on your keyboard that posts this automatically?

You have yet to address why Rock Auto reserves the right to substitute parts as they see fit even if a very specific brand and number is ordered and paid for, nor the fact if the "parts manufacture" states the parts fits but does not you have to send it back on the buyers dime.

Anyone can sell a piece and be done with a transaction, service after the sale is what separates the good from the bad.

Feel free to look up my purchase history, I buy several hundred parts a year and not terribly impressed.

As mentioned on our help page, sometimes manufacturers buy parts from other manufacturers and re-sell them as their own. In doing so, they declare the quality of the part worthy of their name and stand behind the product with their warranty. Finding a Brand Y part in a Brand X box can be a nice surprise when Y is the vehicle manufacturer (OEM) or another respected brand. It can be frustrating when Y, sold under its own brand, costs less than X.

We have no control over manufacturer supply chains. When we buy a part from Brand X, we pay X's price for it, and your price is based on our cost.

If you disagree with a manufacturer's purchasing decision, you may return the part. Shipping is not refundable, and if you re-order the same brand and part number, you'd likely receive an identical part.

1BADVAN
08-19-2016, 10:49 AM
As mentioned on our help page, sometimes manufacturers buy parts from other manufacturers and re-sell them as their own. In doing so, they declare the quality of the part worthy of their .
I like how it's assumed that everyone will r ad. Your help page before purchasing, just put next to the item what private label means, after my incident I had to use Google to find it because finding it on your site was not easy I am also interested in how you know what parts manufacturers buy from other manufacturers, and the fact that it is the same quality, because in my case the quality seemed like garbage in comparison, and return shipping cost more than it was worth.

1991SpiritES
08-19-2016, 04:26 PM
It's always hit of miss when I order. I did order a lot of body trim parts for my van, everything went perfect. I ordered a a/c suction and a/c discharge line for my Daytona, I received the suction line, but they sent my a evaporator instead of the discharge line part number on the box wasn't even close. Of course to correct it, I had to pay to have the wrong part shipped back, no thank you so I had to eat the money I spent. I still order little things from Rock Auto, but for major parts I still go to my local parts store and even ebay.

GLHS444
08-22-2016, 08:13 PM
3) Ordered rear hatch supports/struts for my Charger. They sat in the garage for a couple months before I got around to installing them. Customer service refused replacement because it had been over 30 days since ordering. I don't see why it matters when I ordered them. Advance/Napa/Autozone would never do that to me.

Yep same here...ordered a tranny mount for a 07 PT Cruiser GT w/ 5 speed and couldn't get to it before the 30 days was up. Since I hadn't pulled the mount off, I had to go off what their web site said was a valid part for my configuration. Once I got around to the replacement, sure enough, it the wrong part. As expected, the website rejected my return and so was a return email (good luck finding a phone#). They are more than willing to let me buy from them again, but think the useless one I have will look good holding open my door in the house I guess. I even did the home work to find correct one on the manufactures site (which is wrong as well) in hopes I could can get this corrected. I am crossing my fingers my return email will provide some type of compromise we can both deal with.

Its funny you used to never see complains on this forum about RockAuto. Now...its the top of the list..

tryingbe
08-22-2016, 09:06 PM
(good luck finding a phone#).

https://www.google.com/search?q=rockauto+phone&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

ajakeski
08-28-2016, 05:35 PM
22 orders since June 2016. All parts were correct, even the axles for my Maserati.

GLHS444
09-14-2016, 07:55 PM
UPDATE:
RockAuto came though for me on this one. They stated I would be allowed a one time credit for this issue. Once the part was shipped back and verified, I would be issued a store credit. That came though about a week ago. I ordered the part needed before that, but no matter, the credit will be used soon enough.

After a bit more digging on the issue, I discovered what was probably the root cause. The part vendor they use has hosed their database which propagated into RockAutos. Lesson learned...do a bit more home work to triple verify everyone before ordering.

Thank you RockAuto for doing the right thing.

mopar-tech
09-26-2016, 05:22 PM

Screwed again.

Ordered 2 pinion bearings and 1 race to replace the ring and pinion on the Duster, they pulled the wrong parts.

Note the part numbers on sheet and boxes.

RockAuto
09-27-2016, 08:36 AM
We are sorry you had a problem with an order. Please report the issue on our order status & returns page for a prompt solution: https://www.rockauto.com/orderstatus/

mopar-tech
09-27-2016, 05:12 PM
We are sorry you had a problem with an order. Please report the issue on our order status & returns page for a prompt solution: https://www.rockauto.com/orderstatus/

I'm well acquainted with Rock Auto's return page thank you.

mopar-tech
09-27-2016, 05:48 PM

Just awesome incompetent service- Not only do you ship it from the furthest depot from my house on the east coast you have not even bothered to put it in the mail yet.

OUTSTANDING.

RockAuto
09-28-2016, 08:37 AM
All orders ship within 24 hours unless otherwise noted at checkout. Orders ship from the closest warehouse that stocks the part(s) selected.

Just awesome incompetent service- Not only do you ship it from the furthest depot from my house on the east coast you have not even bothered to put it in the mail yet.

OUTSTANDING.

mopar-tech
09-28-2016, 06:02 PM
All orders ship within 24 hours unless otherwise noted at checkout. Orders ship from the closest warehouse that stocks the part(s) selected.

The customer service individual whom I spoke with on the phone indicated the parts would be sent AT ONCE since it was a screw up on Rock Auto's part and would wave holding the outgoing package till the incorrect parts were back on their way to Rock Auto.

Clearly that did not happen as all that occurred was a shipping decal being generated.

RockAuto
09-29-2016, 08:52 AM
Once the order has been picked and packed in one of our warehouses, a shipping label is generated and the package is ready to be picked up by the carrier. As your package was ready for pickup at 5:00 pm, it is likely that the carrier would not have arrived to pick up the package until the following morning, something our warehouses are unable to control.
The customer service individual whom I spoke with on the phone indicated the parts would be sent AT ONCE since it was a screw up on Rock Auto's part and would wave holding the outgoing package till the incorrect parts were back on their way to Rock Auto.

Clearly that did not happen as all that occurred was a shipping decal being generated.

1991SpiritES
11-12-2016, 08:51 PM
Yup Rock Auto strikes again. Completely wrong part. Bought a closeout part for my 89 Turbo Caravan. The part came in and it's for a GM. I still won't recommend them to anyone.