PDA

View Full Version : Reusing new headgasket

mrchriswray
07-20-2016, 09:09 AM
Okay guys I know the very title of this thread makes most want to cringe but I'm in a pinch and need to know for sure either way before I fully commit. Can you reuse a new headgasket? It was put on about less than a week ago. Torqued down with arp bolts to 90ft lbs, and then ran to discover an exhaust leak at the header. It wasn't been on long or ran for maybe 5 minutes tops. Would it be able to be reused or is it once it's on its on and when you take it off you have to throw another on.

tryingbe
07-20-2016, 09:15 AM
People have done it.
Would I recommend it? No. I got my Fel Pro for $9 a piece, I think.

Vigo
07-20-2016, 10:59 AM
I've reused head gaskets multiple times, but i found that each time they would push coolant at lower and lower boost. I reused one mopar gasket 3 times and by the last time it was pushing coolant at stock boost levels.

So can the car run fine and not leak under stock conditions? Probably. But if you plan to go for power i would recommend a fresh one.

Having said that, RIGHT NOW im building a motor with a reused headgasket. I put it together once, torqued to 65, and then realized i had to take it off before i added the final 1/4 turn. It was never run. We'll see.

83scamp
07-20-2016, 11:37 AM
Right now, Rock Auto has the Felpro's for $6.99 each. I realize high boost guys don't like them, but IMHO, it's better than used...

Not worth the risk to reuse one in my opinion...

contraption22
07-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Sure would be nice if Fel Pro engineered an MLS replacement gasket. but putting engineering dollars into these old engines doesn't make much sense.

mrchriswray
07-20-2016, 01:19 PM
I've reused head gaskets multiple times, but i found that each time they would push coolant at lower and lower boost. I reused one mopar gasket 3 times and by the last time it was pushing coolant at stock boost levels.

So can the car run fine and not leak under stock conditions? Probably. But if you plan to go for power i would recommend a fresh one.

Having said that, RIGHT NOW im building a motor with a reused headgasket. I put it together once, torqued to 65, and then realized i had to take it off before i added the final 1/4 turn. It was never run. We'll see.

What about an intake/exhaust manifold gasket? Are those reusable under the same conditions?

csxtra
07-20-2016, 01:23 PM
What about an intake/exhaust manifold gasket? Are those reusable under the same conditions?

Nope. I put a brand new one on a couple of years ago and put the manifolds on in the wrong order and had to take it back apart before I even torqued them both down, and three days later I was pulling the head again to replace the intake/exhaust gasket because it blew out on the exhaust side.

jonnymopar
07-20-2016, 02:29 PM
Sure would be nice if Fel Pro engineered an MLS replacement gasket. but putting engineering dollars into these old engines doesn't make much sense.

Just to ask a stupid question: which head gasket are guys using on 2.4/2.5 hybrid builds? The old style or the new? I'm wondering, since all 2.0/2.4/2.2/2.5 engines have the same size head bolt, bore, and bore center, would the head gasket from a 2.0/2.4 DOHC work? Or even a 2.0 SOHC gasket? OMGQUESTIONS??

contraption22
07-20-2016, 02:56 PM
The hybrid conversions rely on external plumbing of oil passages to compensate for mismatches between the block and head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83scamp
07-20-2016, 02:57 PM
Just to ask a stupid question: which head gasket are guys using on 2.4/2.5 hybrid builds? The old style or the new? I'm wondering, since all 2.0/2.4/2.2/2.5 engines have the same size head bolt, bore, and bore center, would the head gasket from a 2.0/2.4 DOHC work? Or even a 2.0 SOHC gasket? OMGQUESTIONS??

They use the MLS gasket from the 2.4. But it won't work on our cars because the oil feed & drains are in the wrong locations. That's why you have to run external oil feed & return lines on a hybrid.

Ondonti
07-20-2016, 03:18 PM
If you have copper spray, go for it. Brand and quality of gasket matters. In a pinch I have used a factory installed headgasket 15 years old that had sat among junk for years. My Duster also currently has a reused low mile headgasket set.

I don't accept the idea that intake or exhaust gaskets can't survive

83scamp
07-20-2016, 03:29 PM
A bit off topic, but has anybody tried a Magnum head gasket? I like the looks of them. They have the sealing bead on them like the later factory Mopar gaskets. I've not broken down and bought one yet, but thinking about it...

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5952015&cc=1089378&jsn=479

Vigo
07-20-2016, 03:52 PM
I haven't used them but i've also NEVER had an external leak from the headgasket on one of these so i don't see that as a big plus. I'm using Felpros currently.

A.J.
07-20-2016, 05:24 PM
What is your time worth? If it's not worth the $6.99 for a new gasket at Rock Auto I say give it a try.

If you have copper spray, go for it. Brand and quality of gasket matters. In a pinch I have used a factory installed headgasket 15 years old that had sat among junk for years. My Duster also currently has a reused low mile headgasket set.

I don't accept the idea that intake or exhaust gaskets can't survive

I agree. I would definitely coat it with copper spray if it's going to be reused.

Pat
07-20-2016, 07:58 PM
Right now, Rock Auto has the Felpro's for $6.99 each. I realize high boost guys don't like them, but IMHO, it's better than used...

Not worth the risk to reuse one in my opinion...

New Felpros are fine. I've made tons of nitrous fed, high boost drag runs and rev limiter smacking autox runs with a Felpro. The one failure I had was totally my fault. Put another Felpro in and went back at it.

For the price, I wouldn't even consider reusing.

OmniLuvr
07-20-2016, 09:58 PM
I actually have had 2 of my cars leak oil externally from the headgasket, pretty annoying when it happens... this was on motors that came in the car, once I replaced the gasket I had no issues...

83scamp
07-20-2016, 10:21 PM
I actually have had 2 of my cars leak oil externally from the headgasket, pretty annoying when it happens... this was on motors that came in the car, once I replaced the gasket I had no issues...

I believe I have that problem right now on my Daytona. Block is wet on the corner at the head gasket, and it runs down the front. I think my turbo lines are also weeping. The head is coming off this week while I have the body apart prepping for paint so I can replace the head gasket & turbo lines.. I will be installing a Felpro gasket.

I can't complain too much, as far as I know, it's the original 25+ year old head gasket & turbo oil lines. Probably well past due for replacement...

Force Fed Mopar
07-21-2016, 09:50 PM
New Felpros are fine. I've made tons of nitrous fed, high boost drag runs and rev limiter smacking autox runs with a Felpro. The one failure I had was totally my fault. Put another Felpro in and went back at it.

For the price, I wouldn't even consider reusing.

x2, I've run 25psi on mine, and my buddy has run 30psi. No problems.

tryingbe
07-21-2016, 10:02 PM
OLD style Fel-Pro... probably from before 2002. You probably can't even find one new.
http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe/dodge/headgasket/oldfelpro.jpg

New style Fel-Pro, all I ever known and used.
http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe/dodge/headgasket/felpro.jpg

jeff1234
07-22-2016, 08:54 AM
I put a Cometic head gasket on my engine this last rebuild, They are terrifically expensive, $140.00 but I believe they claim it can be reused 5 times. I don't know about that I just felt it was worth the money to torque it down and forget about it. Other people may have had a different experience.

mopar-tech
07-22-2016, 04:29 PM
I have used low miles headgaskets in a pinch with no ill effects. Between the Reliant and Daytona there were always heads coming on and off.

Spray them with sealer and slap them on.

Gary