PDA

View Full Version : Suspension: Tie Rod Ends?

minigts
07-13-2016, 02:21 PM
Looking, I think one is bad or worn enough. Are the ones sold through the parts stores good or should I go with a particular brand? Anything outside our cars that are better than others and will work? I'll buy MP ones, but looking for some options. Thoughts?

135sohc
07-13-2016, 02:34 PM
What used to be raybestos professional (now owned by moog/federal) I like a lot. moog is crap. AC delco professional still appears to be the same as the old raybestos professional.

masterjr33
07-13-2016, 04:58 PM
rockauto.com

supercrackerbox
07-13-2016, 05:30 PM
What used to be raybestos professional (now owned by moog/federal) I like a lot. moog is crap. AC delco professional still appears to be the same as the old raybestos professional.

That's what I put on my Daytona oh, probably 60,000 miles ago, and they're holding up just fine. Ball joints too.

marc
07-13-2016, 05:51 PM
Moog is crap?? I was under the impression that Moog was one of the premier aftermarket companies for chassis parts.

135sohc
07-13-2016, 06:15 PM
Moog likes to toot their horn on how their 'powdered metal gusher bearing' design is so superior, it is so superior at being so inferior and not lasting. The raybestos chassis I installed in 2010 on the Shadow to replace the moog garbage installed in 2004 is still rock solid and all the joints are still tight and not sloppy.

K based chassis
LH chassis
numerous trucks ect. Every time the moog stuff doesn't go more than a year or two before its loose and making noise again.

black86glhs
07-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Moog used to be the way to go. Seems they have slipped quite a bit on quality sadly. ACDelco are more expensive but seem to still have the goods

marc
07-13-2016, 06:50 PM
It's sad to hear that Moog the once "go to" for chassis parts has gone down hill.

ajakeski
07-13-2016, 09:16 PM
I use Moog and haven't had any issues. I rebuilt the front end and steering linkage on my truck with all Moog parts 40,000 miles ago. It's held up this long.

minigts
07-14-2016, 09:21 AM
I'll be autocrossing the car a lot and want to make sure I have something there that will hold up. Anyone had any experience with something outside our stock config? Do they make a heim joint setup or is that something you wouldn't do? I saw some for an import that seemed really strong and durable, but that was a while ago so I don't remember the brand, application, etc. Just curious if there is something as an alternative that might work. Probably will get AC Delco for now. They are more at RA, but hoping they will hold up. Thanks for the input so far!

ajakeski
07-14-2016, 09:46 AM
Tie rods are basically larger, greasable heim joints. I look at it this way, I didn't break the old, worn out steering linkage components that used to be on my GLH. Chances are the new steering linkage parts are not going to break either. Unless I hit a tree...

minigts
07-14-2016, 11:22 AM
I just got done reading through some other forums about how they aren't designed to hold up long term. I'll stick with the standard kind unless I find a performance one that is better, but probably not this go around.

contraption22
07-14-2016, 03:44 PM
I just got done reading through some other forums about how they aren't designed to hold up long term. I'll stick with the standard kind unless I find a performance one that is better, but probably not this go around.
That's correct. Heim joints are not lubricated and shielded from contamination like OE replacement stuff is. They are great for track duty where components are replaced regularly, but not for long term use in the elements.