PDA

View Full Version : Water pump - common block

DevoBuzz
07-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Hi everyone,
I am installing a common block in my 85 SC. I have the common block water pump housing but not the flat water pump pulley. So can I install a non common block water pump with the ribbed pulley in a common block housing? The belt routing would then be just like a non common block.

Thanks, Ralph

4 l-bodies
07-09-2016, 02:06 PM
- - - Updated - - -

No Ralph the bolt patterns are different between the two housings/waterpumps. I have always used early housings and waterpumps on the L-bodies when installing a CB. Primarily due to the lower radiator hose connection being in the correct location. Also all your brackets, pulleys, and belts fit then too. They fit just fine with a very slight mod to the CB oil pan. 5 minute mod at the most. The TC's did this from the factory. They used the early pump and housing for packaging reasons. It was obvious they used a ball peen hammer to make the oil pan fit!
Todd

DevoBuzz
07-09-2016, 02:24 PM
Ah OK - so use all the 85 stuff then. Can I also use the alternator/brackets and power steering pump/brackets too? Thanks Todd.

4 l-bodies
07-09-2016, 03:03 PM
Everything from the SC should bolt up fine after the oil pan mod. I do HATE the factory L-body alternator and lower alternator bracket. Like first thing I change out when I buy a new to me L-body. I use the larger car alt, bracket, and alt sub harness. PS pump and bracket work fine.