PDA

View Full Version : Caliber RT AWD? Anyone own one?

ShadowFromHell
06-30-2016, 07:54 PM
My wife totaled her 08 avenger last week. Been car shopping and found a 07 caliber RT AWD. My wife is pretty set on it. But I don't know anything about them. I do know it has the same motor as the avenger and it had a 180k on it when it died. I had done nothing to it but change the oil and plugs, and we bought it new. Any tips on what to look for would be great. It a 07 with 100k and they are asking 4 grand.

Thanks.

ShadowFromHell
06-30-2016, 08:04 PM
My research is showing this has a CVT tranny. Are these proven by now or should I just stay away?

contraption22
07-01-2016, 02:50 PM
My research is showing this has a CVT tranny. Are these proven by now or should I just stay away?

Drive it and see how you like it. CVT's feel weird to people that have never driven one before. I can't say I have heard a lot of positive things from anybody that's owned a Caliber, other than the SRT-4's. Stupid power and comfy seats make up for a lot of the vehicle's short comings I suppose. Rattles, powetrain noise and a general cheapness in feel were among the top complaints. Sure, we are K-car people so we are used to that kinda stuff, but in 30yr old cars, not 9 year old cars.

iTurbo
07-09-2016, 02:11 AM
I have owned my '08 Caliber SRT-4 since new, and it's been a great car.

I can't comment on the AWD or the CVT transaxle, but it's been very reliable and very useful for my job as a maintenance guy in lieu of having a truck. The hatch/cargo is quite large and I managed to move to my new house using mostly the Caliber and only having to borrow a truck for the larger things like the couch and fish tanks. The interior is very comfortable, and much quieter and far better all around than my Omni GLH or Shelby Lancer or any old turbo Mopar by a long shot. Maybe that seems like a ridiculous comparison since they are 20 years apart, but that's where I came from before getting the Caliber. I've driven a similar year Subaru STI before and I was less than impressed with that.

I only have about 45k miles on my Caliber SRT, but so far I've only had to change the oil/filter, rotate tires, had a TSB done on the front control arm bolts (free), and....well that's about it! I just recently put a new set of tires on it (2nd set). VERY reliable car and *great* for road trips.

I admit though, even though it's far faster than my Omni GLH, it is not nearly as fun as throwing the TI Omni GLH Turbo around through town!

I've never driven any other variety of Caliber, and I'd be hesitant to buy anything with a CVT. Mike's right that having gobs of HP/torque might make up for a lot, but I can't fault my own Caliber for much as it's been an all-around great car from day 1.

GLHNSLHT2
07-10-2016, 09:28 PM
Guess it depends on your budget. If 4k is it then you're somewhat limited. I'd rather have this though

http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/5659315427.html

Bigger, lower, handles better, faster. 22.5mpg at 80mph.

shackwrrr
07-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Not bad cars, plan on replacing the front suspension often. Also alternators, throttle bodies, and maniverters. The transmissions aren't as common for failing as they were. Ask them to do a trans fluid/filter change as part of the deal and have them check for excessive metal. The fluid is fairly expensive though.

dodgeman87
10-19-2016, 11:51 AM
I had a Caliber for a company car with a CVT. I didn't like the CVT. Even raced it at SDAC in Kansas, didn't tell the boss ! You would floor it and it would just max out and hold it there.

90vnt
10-19-2016, 08:02 PM
Check the front and rear sub frame, 07 model year had some bad rusting issues that they fixed in the 08+.

shackwrrr
10-19-2016, 10:00 PM
Check the front and rear sub frame, 07 model year had some bad rusting issues that they fixed in the 08+.

They aren't totally fixed in the later years. I have replaced many 08, 09, and 2010 subframes.