PDA

View Full Version : New '86 Chrysler Laser XT owner

ol' Grump
06-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Hi folks,

I recently acquired an '86 Chrysler Laser XT and I'm finding it a real fun car. I have no doubts I'll be asking questions, probably quite a few about this critter. It runs fine, but there are a few problems to be fixed. I read the thread bout the C/S windshield as mine does need one. the glass shop owner and I haven't been able to figure out how to take the broken one out to this point. Hopefully, this will give us some ideas about that.

Other minor stuff is the tachometer doesn't work, seems to be stuck on 3,000 rpm even with the engine off. Another one is the 12 button display in the top middle of the dash doesn't work, just displays wrong date and time starting from when I replaced the battery but those are a ways down the list at this time.

I mostly mess with old equipment, a D2 and a D4 Caterpillar, older snowmobiles and such. I'm a self taught mechanic, retired machinist/tool and die maker and retired welder.

glhs875
06-23-2016, 11:47 AM
Welcome!

Vigo
06-23-2016, 11:48 AM
I would reflow all the solder joints on the tachometer and jiggle/reseat the connectors on the back of the instrument cluster as a first step on the tachometer.

Welcome to the forum!

Wastelands Warrior
06-23-2016, 11:56 AM
Cool car, and welcome aboard!

chromguy
06-25-2016, 09:05 AM
Welcome
Here is a link to 12 button repair for your reference
http://www.daytonaturbo.com/tech-zone/12-electronics/10-12-button-navigator-rebuild

GLHNSLHT2
06-25-2016, 10:07 AM
Nice to see a fellow Northwesterner.

ol' Grump
06-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Thanks for that link chromeguy, it'll probably be winter project as I'm still trying to figure out how to get that darned windshield out w/o tearing things that would probably be hard to replace.

Believe it or not, I was doing some cleaning, lifted the rear mat and floorboard and lo and behold, there was the original spare tire and jack.

martin kolner
06-27-2016, 01:19 PM
is it a t-top car?

ol' Grump
06-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Yup. .it's a t-top. .now I'm looking for the weatherstrip/rubber parts etc so the windshield can be replaced. I checked with the Chrysler/Dodge dealer yesterday and all that stuff has been discontinued years ago and no longer available. I'd like to have everything on hand before the windshield comes out. Due to it's age there are doubts much can be reused, any ideas on where to find everything?

martin kolner
06-29-2016, 11:30 AM
OK this part is a problem:

the glass shop owner and I haven't been able to figure out

stop right there....unless you know what you are doing you or the other guy are going to destroy the moldings around the windshield and then end up spending lots more $ to replace them

they are riveted in and also held with a pile of black sealant. care must be taken to remove them. there is also a thin seal that goes under all 5 of the moldings between them and the glass

it is 118.5 inches long....this usually breaks...it is #4397116

I have removed these parts and it is a giant PITA

anybody else want to chime in here?

ol' Grump
06-30-2016, 07:40 AM
So the thread in the knowledge center regarding the C/S is only part of the windshield removal process? http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/knowledge.php?title=Exterior:T-Top-G-Body-Windshield-Trim-Removal

martin kolner
06-30-2016, 08:13 PM
that should help you remove the trim.

1991SpiritES
06-30-2016, 10:08 PM
Those moldings are a huge PITA to take off. I parted 2 T-top cars and took off all the moldings. Not only are they riveted and glued into place there are also screws hidden in there too after you scrape away all of the sealant. On the A-pillars there is also a weird christmas tree clips at the end.