PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting

87ShelbyJT
10-07-2006, 08:01 PM
I have a new hood and fender off a parts car to fix my damage, and my question is should I have them professionaly blasted or can I do it myself for a good finish. I have a Craftsman sandblaster, if I do it myself will that be enough?

Also, what about removing the paint off the facia how should I do that

Directconnection
10-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Always avoid sand or bead blasting body panels when you can. The media causes localized heat which can warp the panels to some extent. You are supposed to use an orbital sander or at least a DA if painting over the existing paint. But once the panel has been sanded, it usually needs some kind of prep work besides just shooting it with primer, then paint and then clear coat. You will need filler to fix a few dings and scratches, etc... then a sandable primer which is a thick primer that fill these tiny voids left from the sanders, etc... and just simply blends things in more uniform. Then goes on a different primer which i don't know what for...I think to seal it and let the paint adhere to better. You don't sand this, then goes the paint and then clearcoat.

Now I am obviously leaving out a boatload of info as I don't do bodywork, but my friend does (restores big $ classics and muscle cars) I will be doeing my own body work in the coming year(s) on my cars.

devlish
10-07-2006, 09:54 PM
i wouldnt reccommend mediablasting either. get a good paintstripper, something with the bees-wax stuff in it. paint it on thick onto the panel, then cut open a big plastic garbage bag and put that over it. after the paint stops bubbling up (20min-60min) take off the bag, and start scraping. probably best to use some sort of plastic scraper. repeat process where needed. done this on various parts/panels over the years and it works great! stinky, but works great! work outdoors if possible.

the bag trick is from an old friend of mine that restored classics & customs as well. it locks the vapors from the paint stripper inside and helps it work more effectively. i've done it both ways, and for me, the bag always helped!

Force Fed Mopars
10-19-2006, 07:53 AM
You can blast the rusted areas if you have any on the replacement parts. Just don't get to carried away with blasting, and I don't think you will have to worry about any heat warpage with a small craftsman home sand blaster, there isn't enough pressure produced out of a small compressor and pot to even worry about doing any panel harm.

Orangetona
10-24-2006, 01:15 PM
You can blast the rusted areas if you have any on the replacement parts. Just don't get to carried away with blasting, and I don't think you will have to worry about any heat warpage with a small craftsman home sand blaster, there isn't enough pressure produced out of a small compressor and pot to even worry about doing any panel harm.

+1, On my orangetona, I used mine on the back fenders, and the bottom of the doors. Like Force Fed Mopars said, dont get carried away. I have a snap on professional blaster, it didnt kill anything. But that was on places where you cant warp the metal. If you're doing a whole panel, dont.

87ShelbyJT
10-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the info/advice guys