PDA

View Full Version : 92 TIII Daytona no start

Gaboon
05-28-2016, 05:22 PM
I'm trying to give my buddy a hand with his Iroc Daytona 16 valve.
Last fall he parked it in the garage and went to start it a week later and nothing.
The ASD relay will not click and neither will the fuel pump relay without a jumper. If I jump the relay's they click and I can get the pump to prime.
No spark, no fuel, can’t retrieve codes, either the check engine light is burned or has no signal. Only lights that come on with key on are Check gages and oil light.

I cleaned all connections at the 60 pin and all connectors I found in the area. I also cleaned grounds.
I have 12 volts to the asd relay but it doesn’t get asignal.

Any help is much appreciated.

Gaboon
05-28-2016, 10:20 PM
Anyone? I know this is different from the 8 valve but anyone have any ideas?
Could it be he computer?
Unfortunately I don't have a scanner.

2.216VTurbo
05-28-2016, 10:46 PM
Cam position sensor can be finicky, to near it gets eaten, to far it doesn't read rotation of the motor. Think of it as the HEP of the Lotus 16V motor, set it at .030 from the intake cam gear. Is it clean? are the pins corrosion free? Are the female pins loose? Got a spare? Crank position sensors seem less apt to go out of adjustment or fail in my experience.

Gaboon
05-29-2016, 12:34 AM
Cam position sensor can be finicky, to near it gets eaten, to far it doesn't read rotation of the motor. Think of it as the HEP of the Lotus 16V motor, set it at .030 from the intake cam gear. Is it clean? are the pins corrosion free? Are the female pins loose? Got a spare? Crank position sensors seem less apt to go out of adjustment or fail in my experience.

Thanks for the reply Alan, we thought about the cam and crank sensors but thought to omit either as an issue due to the ASD or fuel pump relays not engaging at key on, even after disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. Then again, I was just a guess. We'll definitely clean and set the cam sensor as well as clean up the crank sensor.

Force Fed Mopar
05-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Could be a bad ignition switch. Or a mouse chewed a wire somewhere. Stupid mice...

Gaboon
05-29-2016, 06:24 PM
Could be a bad ignition switch. Or a mouse chewed a wire somewhere. Stupid mice...

Could be, but what would be the symptoms of a bad ignition switch? Car turns over etc.... t does have a factory alarm thingy... Seems to work.
Still haven't had a chance to verify the cam and crank sensors, the car is about an hour away.

crazychris
05-29-2016, 09:27 PM
Don't know if it will help but last year I had 2 issues with one of my RT's

First one on the under side of the relay box in the engine bay. one of the wires wasn't making contact after pulling a relay out while doing diagnostics. Basically when I installed the relay it had pushed the wire out the back of the box.... no start.

Later I had a couple fuses in the same area that had simply separated if you will. Don't know if they had broke or what but the plastic around the fuse itself had separated and it would loose contact or something. I thought that wire was the issue when I noticed said fuse wasn't sitting right replaced and it started right up.

Doubt that will help much but those were my issues

Gaboon
05-29-2016, 10:35 PM
Don't know if it will help but last year I had 2 issues with one of my RT's

First one on the under side of the relay box in the engine bay. one of the wires wasn't making contact after pulling a relay out while doing diagnostics. Basically when I installed the relay it had pushed the wire out the back of the box.... no start.

Later I had a couple fuses in the same area that had simply separated if you will. Don't know if they had broke or what but the plastic around the fuse itself had separated and it would loose contact or something. I thought that wire was the issue when I noticed said fuse wasn't sitting right replaced and it started right up.

Doubt that will help much but those were my issues

Any help or insight is appreciated. I ohmed all fuses and all checked out, I also verified all wires underneath as well. Everything looks okay but you never know, I will go over the system again.

Thank you.

KCturbo
06-06-2016, 04:43 PM
I will be checking to see if indeed my Check Engine lamp is burnt. Since I can't get any onboard codes. Then check the cam & crank sensors to see their condition. Clean if nec and re-installl.
See what happens after that!

Gaboon
06-07-2016, 08:21 PM
I will be checking to see if indeed my Check Engine lamp is burnt. Since I can't get any onboard codes. Then check the cam & crank sensors to see their condition. Clean if nec and re-installl.

Join date of Aug 2011 and this is your first post? :)

Everyone, this is Kevin. Good to see you here!

crazychris
06-08-2016, 01:26 AM
Join date of Aug 2011 and this is your first post? :)

Everyone, this is Kevin. Good to see you here!

And whom is Kevin? Lol

2.216VTurbo
06-08-2016, 02:00 AM
And whom is Kevin? Lol

Grammer police weigh in please. Cordes?

crazychris
06-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Oh right I forgot I was on This site lmao

shadow88
06-08-2016, 09:05 AM
I did a quick search for a 92 daytona FSM online and found something from Ralph Scott. This is for a 93, but the info on the security system may be helpful.
http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/factory_security

KCturbo
06-27-2016, 01:31 PM
I am Kevin (the Owner of the Daytona IROC R/T) LOL!

rx2mazda
06-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Check the 02 sensor wires. I had mine burn on the turbine and short out....gave me similar issues.

Black93RT
06-27-2016, 08:42 PM
Check the 02 sensor wires. I had mine burn on the turbine and short out....gave me similar issues.

This. My 93 did the same. Blew fuses for a while, then finally died completely. No fuel pump priming . O2 wires under airbox, melted on turbo.

KCturbo
06-28-2016, 06:38 AM

Verified that check engine lamp is not burnt. Removed, cleaned and re-installed both the cam & crank sensors. I gapped the cam sensor at .030. Still nothing, just turns over. Still cannot get any onboard diagnostics for codes. We have checked wires and connections and all seems fine. I am beginning to think it might be my ecm. We will try to get a hold of a scanner this weekend.

Gaboon
06-28-2016, 11:34 AM
I received some input from another source that said to verify grounds at the 60 pin connector. We will do that and verify the O2 wires as well.

Gaboon
07-22-2016, 11:26 AM
Still no start or ASD, fuel pump activation nor check engine light illumination. I've verified all power and grounds at the 60 pin connector and all check out. Also verified 02 wires and they are in good condition as well.

Does anyone have a spare 92 TIII brain I could try? Or I could also ship this one out for someone to try.

Thanks for your help.

Joey

Gaboon
07-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Anyone???
I wonder if Shelgame would be able to test and or burn a chip?

crazychris
07-27-2016, 08:44 AM
I'm sure rob would be your best bet to have a call burnt I'm sure he could also test it if need be. There has to be another T3 car out that way. I'd throw it on my car for ya in a heartbeat if you weren't across the country lol

Gaboon
07-27-2016, 03:59 PM
I'm sure rob would be your best bet to have a call burnt I'm sure he could also test it if need be. There has to be another T3 car out that way. I'd throw it on my car for ya in a heartbeat if you weren't across the country lol
I have absolutely no issues sending it to you if you're willing to give it a try.

Shoot me pm with your details and I'll get it out.

Thanks

crazychris
07-28-2016, 04:31 PM
Sent u a pm

KCturbo
08-12-2016, 09:41 AM
Well we have determined that the problem is indeed the ECM. A mopar turbo buddy Nelson lent me his ECM from 1 of his 92 Daytona's to try in mine. I swapped it out and it started 1st shot!
So now I need a new ECM! Thanks so much Nelson and to my buddy Joey for all his help!!
Kevin

2.216VTurbo
08-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Did you confirm that it's not the factory alarm module shutting it down? Arizona Parts (Martin Kolner) posted in another thread that he has NOS TIII SBEC's for sale...