PDA

View Full Version : window scrapers / moulding falling apart – help

stillkickin
05-19-2016, 10:31 AM
My window scrapers have been falling apart for years. Now huge chunks are coming off. Any word on the availability of these items, or how to fabricate/substitute some kind of replacement?

Odd to think this item might be the end of my 1989 Caravan SE.

Again, this is the rubber molding at the exterior base of the windows

thanks

wheming
05-20-2016, 10:54 PM
You aren't alone there. These are very hard to come by now. If you have a yard nearby check it out. I did find some in a local yard. I bought all the ones they had that were decent. I did sell another member the only extra set i could spare.
One thing fyi, they are side specific only in the sense of the predrilled holes. You should be able to redrill if you end up finding two of the same side.

I was at the same yard recently and the newer 2gen van window moldings might be able to be adapted.
I don't know that we could ever get enough folks together to get them remade.

1991SpiritES
05-21-2016, 07:22 AM
I got lucky and found 1 NOS window scraper for my van. I have been looking at those companies that weather stripping to find something close, but haven't yet. Junk yards by me are pretty much washed up on 84-90 vans. They might get one a year in. I have looked at the 91-95 vans, but the way they go into the molding on the back side of window, I really don't think it will work.

wheming
05-21-2016, 02:16 PM
I didn't have time while in the yard to see how it all came apart. But it didnt appear that the door sheetmetal was different. Best thing would be to strip the part off and see if the two doors are stamped ot the same. It might be easier to find a 2gen doors in better shape.