PDA

View Full Version : Rampage leaf suspension

Nemesismachine
05-13-2016, 02:12 AM
Short of going full Pat and swapping IRS from another car into a Rampage (or the other teasers I've seen of airbag setups), has anyone bought new leaf springs for these cars? I'm in the process of dearching one set of leaf springs, prior to throwing all polybushings under the rest of the car and was curious if anyone has found NEW leafs.

bigbarneycars
05-13-2016, 07:26 AM
I'm not sure but I'm thinking that you might wanna do some research and measuring on the mini van rear springs. Hey? Wouldn't it be ah hoot if we could go straight to Mothers Parts counter and hand 'um the VISA?

83scamp
05-13-2016, 07:57 AM
Minivan rear leafs are an interesting idea.

My big concern would be spring rate. A mini is a whole lot heavier than an L-body pickup. Might ride like a bucking bronco if they fit... Might be able to use just the main leaf, and be OK??? The rear of these pickups is pretty stiff stock anyways... I've considered removing part of the stack from mine... Never quite been brave enough to try it...

Pat
05-13-2016, 08:15 AM
Nick...I can measure minivan leafs for you tonight/tomorrow.

2.216VTurbo
05-13-2016, 09:27 AM
I dearched mine, did the side for side flip UNDER the axle, then to bring it back up a little(was too low after the flip) added a couple of independently inflateable airbags. 2-3PSI is just right to put it at 'street' height. 20PSI and I can carry 1700lbs back there:nod:

bigbarneycars
05-13-2016, 10:21 AM
Yes Greg but remember that the little Trucklets are rated at 1155 haul rate. Either way you can alter the spring count and the U-bolts. Try stacking a set of new leaf's in with the original long mounting leaf that goes from the spring mount to the shackle. All kinds of possibilities including having Eaton or one of the spring company manufacturers build you a set?

Nemesismachine
06-24-2016, 05:09 AM
I steered clear of Eaton after reading some reviews. I went with a company out of PA, Stengel Brothers. Cheaper than Eaton (with shipping) by $215. Eaton wanted $630 for a set, I paid $415 shipped from Stengel.

johnl
06-24-2016, 01:34 PM
I wonder how factory ratings for hauling or towing capacity are calculated. That is, to what extent is the specified maximum hauling capacity dependent upon, or derived from, the stock rear spring rate? And then, of course, to what extent does an increase in the spring rate, or Alan's air bags, allow a safe increase in payload. Obviously, there are limits in the size/thickness/shape of the structural members that supersede spring rates.

When I wanted to haul 1500 pounds, I cut off some stock L body rear shock springs and tack welded them in place as helpers. I cut them short enough so that they didn't touch, or start helping, until I had maybe 750 pounds in the bed.

Wildwest
06-29-2016, 10:23 PM
Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322171746507