PDA

View Full Version : Analzye my time slip......14.06@100mph at Lebanon Valley NY.

inmyshadow
10-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Alright lets here what people have to say about this. Went to a track rental today. Best time was 14.06@100mph.

Here are the numbers from today.

60ft 2.3
330 6.152
660 9.22 @79.82
1000 11.848
1324 14.06@100.77

I made tons of changes. First I raised boost to 18lbs and got 99mph. Raised boost to 20lbs, 100mph. Openned up cutout, 100mph. Cooled down the car, added 100octane gas, raised timing to 14 degree. Raised boost to 22lbs. More 100mph runs. I even cut several 2.2 60ft times with no improvement in ETs or mph. I mostly did shallow staging to try for mph.

I forgot my 4000E scanner and my EGT gauge hasn't been reinstalled. So I didn't feel comfortable changing cam timing.

My day ended when my clutch wouldn't hold a 24lb boost spike. I lifted and got back into it. This run was 14.4 at 98mph.

Car's mods.

2.5TI
ported exhaust manifold
TII turbo/2.5in swing valve
turbo back 2.5in exhaust/no cat
3in electric cutout----new this year
Spearco intercooler knockoff----new this year gbody intercooler last year
+40/3bar/supporting cal
88tbi cam
two adjustable cam gears----one gear new last week
no balance shafts
TU oil pan---new this year
underdrive pulley
3.85 A568
lightened flywheel
225/50R15 Kumho 711
Kosei K1s

The scales weren't on, but I weighed the car a month ago at 3220 with driver.

Today brought no ET/MPH improvements over last year. Car was just more consistent with the new FMIC. I also didn't blow my turbo this time around. Last year the turbo blew just as I got on the highway. Weather was the same too.

I really thought my car would run around 13.8 today. I've seen people with nearly the same weight and mods do so.

I want to improve. Just one catch, no drag radials or slicks will be used. I drive my car at the track the same as on the street. I already had plans for a 3in downpipe to match my 3in cutout. That is in a few weeks.

86lance
10-06-2006, 07:13 PM
knock some off your 60ft and i think you could be looking at 13.5-6's

inmyshadow
10-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Should I run my street tires flat for more traction?:D

knock some off your 60ft and i think you could be looking at 13.5-6's

shadow88
10-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Very impressive time for street tires.:thumb:
I did similar times with drag radials but with poorer 60 fts.:confused:

Maybe a sure-grip or front end balance will help. ie sway bar shimming.

Are you sure the weather was exactly the same ie barometric pressure, himidity? It makes a big difference, but that's not new news to you. Good times!

86lance
10-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Maybe a different street tire would be your best bet along with what 88 shadow said. Even your front end out a bit. I work at a tire shop and i have felt the 712's your running. They feel a bit hard for track use i think. A real nice tire that i sell alot of for dual purpose(street&track) is the yokohama avs es 100. Decently priced and feel sticky as all get out.

inmyshadow
10-06-2006, 08:05 PM
I have a quaife.

All I can say is the weather was similar. I ran at night in the mid sept last year. This time I ran durning the day in october. The temps were pretty close. My time slips from last year don't list weather conditons. The track upgraded their timing/scoring since then.

When the day started, there was a nice tailwind. But it disappeared as the day went on.

Very impressive time for street tires.:thumb:
I did similar times with drag radials but with poorer 60 fts.:confused:

Maybe a sure-grip or front end balance will help. ie sway bar shimming.

Are you sure the weather was exactly the same ie barometric pressure, himidity? It makes a big difference, but that's not new news to you. Good times!

ShelGame
10-06-2006, 08:16 PM
To me, it looks like your MPH is high for your ET (My best is a 13.77 @97mph, for example, with a 1.9 60'). At that MPH, you should be ~13.5. If you switch to slicks, I bet you'd get there.

nomadman2001
10-06-2006, 09:02 PM
To me, it looks like your MPH is high for your ET (My best is a 13.77 @97mph, for example, with a 1.9 60'). At that MPH, you should be ~13.5. If you switch to slicks, I bet you'd get there.

Rob - are you running 2.2 or 2.5? I'm a bit confused over the hp/tq thing. Quoted from: http://www.montecarloss.com/SSThunder/engine.html

For Example: A 350cid with 345hp has 390 lbs-ft of torque for a Power Index of 735 while a 454cid engine has 305hp and 430 lbs-ft of torque for a power index of 735. The 454cid engine has less horsepower but will accelerate a given car to the same or slightly quicker ET. The big difference here will be your trap speed, the 350 will likely finish at a higher MPH than the 454, but with a similar elapsed time.

This is saying that hp = mph and tq = et which confuses me more, I thought everyone built engines looking for hp ........
I know James has alot more torque than hp and that's what you'd expect form a 2.5, why then does everyone build 2.2's looking for hp not tq? :confused:

Marcus86GLHS
10-06-2006, 10:41 PM
3220 pounds traping 100 mph calculates to about 250 hp at the tires. nice.

that sounds about correct for your setup since your previous best dyno pull was 217, then you bumped the boost and installed the larger i/c and cut-out.

you have enuf HP for a 13.8, but w/o sticky tires your timeslips wont improve a whole lot but still you did a good job this time out, and you didnt break.

see you at Cecil, you'll go 13.8 there.

inmyshadow
10-07-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm not using Kuhmo 712s. I used a set of those tires years ago and hated them. I couldn't take a turn without them screaming. Didn't matter how fast/slow the turn was, they screamed. I use to get looks by cops when my tires are squealing, but I'm taking the turn as slow as a granny.

Even these 711s I have don't have great traction. I can light up second from a roll. In the rain, even 6lbs of boost lets me spin 3rd and 4th.

For tires, I usually focus on handling. I like a tire that can handle my on ramp attacks and canyon runs. I wanted to get a set of Falken 615s. But they haven't released them in 225/50R15. Its been over a year since they told me it was coming.

I also don't like yokohama tires anymore. I had a great set of A520 tires. Best tire I ever ran for autocross. Handled all the heat and offered awesome wet weather handling. They cancelled that tire only after a few years.

later

Maybe a different street tire would be your best bet along with what 88 shadow said. Even your front end out a bit. I work at a tire shop and i have felt the 712's your running. They feel a bit hard for track use i think. A real nice tire that i sell alot of for dual purpose(street&track) is the yokohama avs es 100. Decently priced and feel sticky as all get out.

inmyshadow
10-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Looks like it was a good idea to leave the track at first sign of clutch slippage.

Seems I may have broken the disc this morning.

slasky
10-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Was the track any better than when I raced there?
If you need any clutch suggestions let me know. I just put a new one in last night.

inmyshadow
10-07-2006, 04:32 PM
I really can't say. I didn't race on the same day as you. This track was very sticky though. It was hard for me to launch without wheel hop.

I'm looking at FWDP's 4 puck clutch disc kit. I've been through alot of clutches in my life. I was a tad upset with this one, a TIII setup. It only lasted a year and half.

Was the track any better than when I raced there?
If you need any clutch suggestions let me know. I just put a new one in last night.

Marcus86GLHS
10-07-2006, 05:10 PM
wheel hop is the enemy of your trany.

soft-sidewalled slicks will really help reduce these types of trany loads.

if slicks are "cheating" (arcording to you), then why isn't an illegal exhaust cut-out also "cheating"?

answer: both are as legal on the street as the other.

:-)

slasky
10-07-2006, 08:42 PM
I had no wheel hop at all; it felt like they greased the track.
I put in the 4 puck from TU last night. I have not driven it much but it seems pretty good. I don't think most people would want it in a car that they use everyday. The clutch pedal pressure is a little more than the t2/t3 setup. It is also either on or off. It has minimal chatter that is easy to get used to. I think it should do well at the track.

ShelbyZD
10-26-2006, 12:02 AM
3220 pounds traping 100 mph calculates to about 250 hp at the tires. nice.

that sounds about correct for your setup since your previous best dyno pull was 217, then you bumped the boost and installed the larger i/c and cut-out.

you have enuf HP for a 13.8, but w/o sticky tires your timeslips wont improve a whole lot but still you did a good job this time out, and you didnt break.

see you at Cecil, you'll go 13.8 there.

Nice.. .. soon I will be there. /me drools at the thought of 18psi.

93sundance
10-29-2006, 01:30 PM
The Falken 512s worked pretty good for me. I was able to get a 2.037 60 ft with the 3.0L A543 Sundance.

I'm not using Kuhmo 712s. I used a set of those tires years ago and hated them. I couldn't take a turn without them screaming. Didn't matter how fast/slow the turn was, they screamed. I use to get looks by cops when my tires are squealing, but I'm taking the turn as slow as a granny.

Even these 711s I have don't have great traction. I can light up second from a roll. In the rain, even 6lbs of boost lets me spin 3rd and 4th.

For tires, I usually focus on handling. I like a tire that can handle my on ramp attacks and canyon runs. I wanted to get a set of Falken 615s. But they haven't released them in 225/50R15. Its been over a year since they told me it was coming.

I also don't like yokohama tires anymore. I had a great set of A520 tires. Best tire I ever ran for autocross. Handled all the heat and offered awesome wet weather handling. They cancelled that tire only after a few years.

later

SwiftTech
01-11-2007, 04:28 PM
You should be able to cut sub 2.3 '60 times with the 711's. I've been able to get 2.18 by airing them down to 20psi or so. I run the exact same tire as you, track prep is also a big factor on your '60 time. our local track doesn't do any prep on the street legal fun drag nights and anything below 2.3's are near impossible, but at real races they throw the vht down and better times are possible.

GLHSKEN
01-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Turbo is maxxed... Good MPH for a 3220lb car!!

BadAssPerformance
01-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Turbo is maxxed... Good MPH for a 3220lb car!!

Holy cow, that's some weigth! What kind of car is it?

13's possible with traction for sure.

contraption22
01-14-2007, 11:54 AM
I would agree with the turbo being maxed.

Directconnection
01-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Almost 101mph with a heavy raceweight is a pretty good accomplishment on the stock turbo. Your boost went up and no improvemnt along with timing. I'd leave the boost back down along with the timing that 1st got you to 100mph.

inmyshadow
01-15-2007, 02:40 PM
It is a convertible dodge shadow es.

I do have plans for super 60, 3in swingvalve and matching 3in downpipe for the electric cutout.

Perhaps I'll make 13s this year.

Holy cow, that's some weigth! What kind of car is it?

13's possible with traction for sure.