PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used any brand of sound deadener in there van/car?

turbovanmanČ
01-08-2006, 12:11 AM
I have seen ads for thin foil type material to lay down or put on floors, door panels etc. My van even though its got carpet etc is still boomy on the highway so I want to do the floor, and side panels in the rear as there is nothing there so any suggestions on brand and how much am I looking at?

JeremyL
01-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Check out the deadeners at www.b-quiet.com & www.raamaudio.com. I've used the foil backed asphault based deadeners several times with great results. A few years back we dabbled around the car audio circuits while I had a store and the stuff does makes a big difference in quieting things down. Dynamat brand is what most people will tell you to get, but for the extra $ all you're getting is their logo on the backing.

The last car I put any material in was my 64 Galaxie. It's got a big cam, flowmaster exhaust, ect ect ect. The interior is totally gutted out & while idling the resonance was so bad that it was vibrating the trim clips loose on the sides of the quarter panels. I put 72 square feet of deadener in the trunk floor, rear seating pan area, and on the rear deck. Now it idles quiet enough that you can carry on a normal conversation in & around the car.

For a cheap deadener that works fairly well head to Home Depot & get a bucket of elastometric roof coating. Load some of it in a electric sprayer of some sort & spray it in their. We used about 5 gallons of the stuff on a Ford Explorer DB Drag vehicle in all the areas we couldn't get regular dampening material in. It takes a while to dry & has a smell for a while, but it's cheap & works well.

Good luck!

Una
01-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Check out Ebay.. You can get sound deadener for like $1 a square foot there.. I've used stuff by Cascade (aka CAE) quite a bit at work. It's decent, most companies sell several styles. The foil backed tar based ones are most common. Then there's some that looks alot like ABS plastic.. And some in between the two that kind of has an aligator skin backing.. I'm not sure what the performance difference is between them tho..
I plan to put some down in the interior of my '83 SC after I get another new motor in that car..
Tip for a first time installer... Use a heatgun or at least a good hairdrier to make the sound deadening more flexible while installing it. And if you cut up the foil backed stuff to fit it into small areas, wear leather gloves to keep from slicing up your fingers on the sharp foil..

turbovanmanČ
01-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks guys, will start searching around. Will probably do it in the spring or summer, when it gets warmer outside, :thumb:

Diabloed
01-08-2006, 09:54 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/408000-408999/408568_64_full.jpg

I used Dynamat in the back of my Dakota, I noticed quite a bit of change.

minigts
01-10-2006, 12:28 PM
I used E-dead. Covered the car from the pedals to the rear hatch (1985 Charger). It was hard to tell a huge noise difference, but I did. Mainly because the exhaust leak under the car was covered! lol I was going to do the dash area when I took it out, but I don't have the money to spend on that right now and I know how to take it apart.

My stuff was like $90 for about 60 sq. ft. But it was the double insulated stuff, not the thinner stuff. The thinner stuff is like $1/sq.ft.

JDAWG
01-10-2006, 01:27 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&DID=7&CATID=18&ObjectGroup_ID=37&filter=sheet&raid=54&rak=dampening_sheets
Any of this stuff is cheap and works good

mcnoople
01-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Back in the day the hotrodders would use standard roof tar applied with a trowel covered with carpet remnants.

yippee my first post here.

turbovanmanČ
01-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Back in the day the hotrodders would use standard roof tar applied with a trowel covered with carpet remnants.

yippee my first post here.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, no. :yuck:

Tony Hanna
01-11-2006, 10:51 AM
You guys are gonna laugh, but I've always used asphalt roof shingles. I had a bundle laying around, and an old truck that was so noisy inside that you couldn't hear the radio. We held the shingles in place with roof cement and between that and the new carpet and carpet padding, it made a night and day difference.

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2006, 01:18 PM
You guys are gonna laugh, but I've always used asphalt roof shingles. I had a bundle laying around, and an old truck that was so noisy inside that you couldn't hear the radio. We held the shingles in place with roof cement and between that and the new carpet and carpet padding, it made a night and day difference.

Hahahahaaha, MMmmmmmmmmmmm, NO. :ban: :focus:

Clay
01-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Ive used dynamat a few times. Does it work? yes. Does it last? yes. Ive got a truck with it on the interior and doors for 10 years now. Its all still there.

It even works well outside. IE on the back of a ratteling license plate!!

Ive also used the spray on stuff. It also works well. Personally, if you wanted spray on, go by some spray on undercoating at the parts store. Its basically the same stuff.

and yes, with dynamat, your paying for the name. The same stuff can be bought else where much cheaper.

clay

Tony Hanna
01-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Hahahahaaha, MMmmmmmmmmmmm, NO. :ban: :focus:

Don't knock it 'til you try it. Just because it's not over advertised and overpriced doesn't mean it doesn't work.:thumb:
Seriously, I've heard some really good things about Dynamat and been in some vehicles with some serious audio equipment before and after and it definately makes a big difference. I just couldn't get past the price.

turbovanmanČ
01-12-2006, 02:40 AM
Don't knock it 'til you try it. Just because it's not over advertised and overpriced doesn't mean it doesn't work.:thumb:
Seriously, I've heard some really good things about Dynamat and been in some vehicles with some serious audio equipment before and after and it definately makes a big difference. I just couldn't get past the price.

Trust me, I am not using tar shingles, I don't care how cheap they are, :amen:

Tony Hanna
01-12-2006, 06:46 PM

I hear ya. I was just making the point that they do work. It's the same principle as any other asphalt based sound deadener. It changes the resonant frequency of the metal it's attached to. It's a really good trick for somebody that wants to quiet their interior down but doesn't have the money to sink into it.

In your case (shingles not an option :p ) I'd go with any of the foil backed asphalt based sound deadeners mentioned here by others. The boomy noise you are getting on the highway is a product of resonance and any of them will do a fine job of stopping it (or better put, changing the resonant frequency of the metal so that it doesn't match up with the vibration from the road at highway speed).

Garret
01-12-2006, 07:49 PM
I've used roofing tar sheets in cars before, my advise is to just leave the doors open/windows down for about 12 hours afterwards to get some of the stink out. Car used to be an 8 out of 10 for interior noise, that quieted it down to a 3.5 out of 10. This was in my fully gutted interior Daytona. I did the doors and the floor then covered in carpet. about a 20lbs weight increase but a pretty silent car. My car had an open downpipe as well. Fantastic way to mod.

zark
01-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Don't knock it, they make great patch panels for rusty L body floorboards as well! A tube of RTV and a stack of old shingles and no more wet carpet. Worked on my $200 Shelby Charger :)

Aries_Turbo
01-23-2006, 12:53 AM
my buddies and i used roofing tar paper and roofing tar/sealant to glue it down. works amazing and is a little less ghetto than shingles.... we had it in a 1970 chevelle.

Brian

turboaddict
01-23-2006, 04:01 AM
i tried the spray on auto parts store (undercoating and sound deadener) to help with exhuast noise on my eclipse. didnt work worth a damn. the best mod i did was reinstalling the rear seat. big noise reduction there.

turbovanmanČ
07-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Back from the dead, I found some other stuff, a guy used it on his Chevy diesel pickup, better than Dynamat they say and over 1/2 the price.

Raamaudio.com (http://www.raamaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=59)

neongary
07-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I've used this product from Second Skin Audio with good results. It cost less than Dynamat.
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibration-mat/damplifier.php

bakes
07-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Dammit Simmon lets stop adding weight to are vehicles lol just busting you ---!!!

The best sound deadening i have done is when i pulled the dash and installed sound deadening up to the windshield remember the stock ends at the carpet line most of the time

I think my LS needs a reduction in sound deadening the car is 400# over weight

turbodaytona87
07-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Ebay seems the cheapest place to order the sound deadening from

turbovanmanČ
07-26-2009, 04:07 AM
I've used this product from Second Skin Audio with good results. It cost less than Dynamat.
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibration-mat/damplifier.php

What car did you use it in? How much did it reduce the noise?

Dammit Simmon lets stop adding weight to are vehicles lol just busting you ---!!!

The best sound deadening i have done is when i pulled the dash and installed sound deadening up to the windshield remember the stock ends at the carpet line most of the time

I think my LS needs a reduction in sound deadening the car is 400# over weight

Crap man, its already heavy, what's another 50 lbs, :eyebrows:

What's that, 3 more psi? :lol:

neongary
07-26-2009, 09:27 AM
I used sound deadner on my Lebaron convertible. Quite noticeable in reducing road noise and I can hear the stereo better. It went on the floor pans, trunk and inside the doors.

ShelGame
07-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Let us know how it works out Simon, I may want to do the same to my mini :thumb:

neongary
07-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Ebay seems the cheapest place to order the sound deadening from
It's probably all the same stuff. I went with Second Skin because a friend had it and it worked well and was reasonably priced. We used Dynamat at the shop I used to work at. Seemed that Dynamat was easier to lay down than Second Skin.

4cefedomni
07-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Simon I used some stuff called fatmat in my s10. you've heard my stereo and you can barely hear anything outside with the doors closed and the windows up. It was cheap and worked really well

turbovanmanČ
07-26-2009, 03:13 PM
I used sound deadner on my Lebaron convertible. Quite noticeable in reducing road noise and I can hear the stereo better. It went on the floor pans, trunk and inside the doors.

Thanks.

Let us know how it works out Simon, I may want to do the same to my mini :thumb:

Not sure when I'll get it done, but I will report back.

Simon I used some stuff called fatmat in my s10. you've heard my stereo and you can barely hear anything outside with the doors closed and the windows up. It was cheap and worked really well

I've never had the windows up, I'll have to next time, ;)

neongary
07-26-2009, 11:27 PM

GMC made the S10?

turbovanmanČ
07-28-2009, 03:18 PM
GMC made the S10?

Well Chevy S10, GMC Sonoma, in the older days, GMC S15, same truck but different grills.

JDAWG
07-28-2009, 08:32 PM
second skin seems about the best for the money right now, lots of audio guys use it, they are a vendor on a forum im on, just found these vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27HITtvWuTo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARi3EIYcPPU

turbovanmanČ
07-28-2009, 08:42 PM
That is hilarious, notice how the 2nd roof didn't move as much, :thumb:

neongary
07-29-2009, 12:16 AM
Well Chevy S10, GMC Sonoma, in the older days, GMC S15, same truck but different grills.
Just wondered if something different was in Canada as the guy above with all the pictures mentions his S10 but a few of the pictures show a steering wheel that says "GMC". I know that in Canada a lot of "Chrysler" named cars were Dodge down here.

neongary
07-29-2009, 12:19 AM
That's pretty funny with the vids. Don't think it would work on my convertible though! Probably my only complain with Second Skin is that it seems like it takes forever for the product to get here after I order it. Slow shipping dept. I guess.

JDAWG
07-29-2009, 10:38 AM
That's pretty funny with the vids. Don't think it would work on my convertible though! Probably my only complain with Second Skin is that it seems like it takes forever for the product to get here after I order it. Slow shipping dept. I guess.

He is pretty much all by himself, small vendor just like fwdp or tu, he isnt a large factory like dynamat. He recently has gotten into spray on and roll on stuff, so he has coatings like bed liner type stuff, heat coatings, and por15. Havnt used any of that myself though. He gives discount to forum members on caraudio.com and gives discounts for large orders. Atleast you can call and talk direct to the owner if you had a problem or wanted to make a large purchase.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/products/Sound-Deadening-Materials.php

fishcleaner
07-29-2009, 12:42 PM
I used this stuff called Zilla Mat, its about $1 a square foot, it helped but have no idea if its better or worse than Dynamat, it sure did feel like it stuck well and will put it on verticle surfaces, I just intalled it so time will tell.

rampant150
07-29-2009, 12:52 PM
I bought some b-quiet out of a guy in saskatchewan on ebay. I was quite happy with it. Cheap too.