PDA

View Full Version : Suspension: L body Rear Axle - Long Shot

minigts
04-24-2016, 11:54 PM
I've asked the guys that I know are local and there aren't any in the yards that I've checked. Looking for the rear axle that will fit an L body. I have one on the blue car, but really don't want to pull anything like that from that car unless I have no other choice. I can weld the problem, but would prefer to pull it and fix it properly.

black86glhs
04-24-2016, 11:58 PM
Jon, I have Jim Reeves rear axle from his Omni. I know I'm up in Akron, but your welcome to it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

minigts
04-25-2016, 12:09 AM
Man if I didn't need it ASAP and it could be gotten easily, I'd take you up on it. I may just get this one welded up like I was thinking, but a stock one would be best to swap out. Hoping there is someone on the board close by that I haven't met yet who has something. I may start looking for cars sitting around that could be donor cars. :P

black86glhs
04-25-2016, 04:53 PM
I knew it was a long shot being up here. Hope someone comes through to help you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

minigts
04-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Man I know. If I had some time and money to come get it I would. I need to come back up there for work again, not sure when that will be though. Pulling this apart right now to assess the damage.

minigts
04-27-2016, 01:03 PM
Aaand the damage. Not horrible considering, but REALLY wish I had paid more attention to tightening the bolts, which I'm assuming is why they backed out. I recently replaced the rear axle bushings and most likely loosened everything to lower it down to gain a better shot of removing the bushings and forgot to tighten the bolts. If that isn't what caused this, I will start ALWAYS using thread lock.

Anyone know of a good replacement bolt with a shoulder or will anything long enough grade 8 work? Obviously the width of the shank will need to match that of the shock, but wondering if using a bolt with a shoulder like this is mandatory or not.

58054 58055 58056 58057

83scamp
04-27-2016, 02:38 PM
That doesn't look bad at all. V out the crack a little and weld it back together. :thumb: You should be able to get a bolt like that from McMaster-Carr. Not sure what metric size it is, but they carry a wide selection of fasteners, and their web site makes it pretty easy to get what you want. They will ship it right to your door.

Not sure the shoulder is super critical, but you should be able to find something close. I checked the parts manual, and it doesn't say what size it is, just calls it a shock bolt...

minigts
04-27-2016, 03:28 PM
That doesn't look bad at all. V out the crack a little and weld it back together. :thumb: You should be able to get a bolt like that from McMaster-Carr. Not sure what metric size it is, but they carry a wide selection of fasteners, and their web site makes it pretty easy to get what you want. They will ship it right to your door.

Not sure the shoulder is super critical, but you should be able to find something close. I checked the parts manual, and it doesn't say what size it is, just calls it a shock bolt...

Thanks for the bolt info. Yeah I was worried when I looked under the car, but after seeing it up close it seems like I could weld it back up and put some more meat against it and tie it better to the axle. Got two offers to have a welder brought over (more or less offers :)), so I may end up running a 220 circuit and hopefully repair it without having to remove it. I'll check the bolts on their site to see if I can find something that will work. Worst case I can pull one off the blue car. Eventually there won't be anything left of her... :(

rgl10
04-27-2016, 08:09 PM
Looks like one might be in Sardis MS if that's not to far from you. It probably doesn't have the sway bar on it but it might get you by.

Davis Auto Salvage, LLC (http://www.davisautosalvage.com/) (Sardis)

Listed in car-part for 50 dollars from a 90 Omni

RattFink
04-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Come on down to Georgia and pick up a whole parts car!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/5523797036.html

minigts
04-27-2016, 08:48 PM
Looks like one might be in Sardis MS if that's not to far from you. It probably doesn't have the sway bar on it but it might get you by.

Davis Auto Salvage, LLC (http://www.davisautosalvage.com/) (Sardis)

Listed in car-part for 50 dollars from a 90 Omni

Come on down to Georgia and pick up a whole parts car!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/5523797036.html

Haha thanks guys. The one in Sardis is actually pretty close, that may be an option! Thanks for finding it.

I was just in Atlanta too! But couldn't have brought that back with my lady friend. I don't think she would have cared for me to bring a car back with us. :)

1983Rampage
05-02-2016, 12:23 AM
Got a rear axle from an 80 Omni 024. Not sure if it is interchangeable, but let me know if you are interested.

johnl
05-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Weld it grind it flat, then weld a doubler on top that is bent so it wraps around the corner and you're done

minigts
05-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Got a rear axle from an 80 Omni 024. Not sure if it is interchangeable, but let me know if you are interested.

Thanks man. I plan to fix it and if I can source one close or have the time to pick one up, like yours, I will eventually get a spare. Thank you very much for posting man! You're close enough to make it to SDAC, please come on up!

Weld it grind it flat, then weld a doubler on top that is bent so it wraps around the corner and you're done

That's the plan. I will be getting some wire and a receptacle to install and borrow a welder. Two people have offered to let me use a 220v welder, so I need to make provisions for one. I was thinking about how to tie it together and how you're describing it is how I'd like to do it. Hopefully I will be able to do it right and possibly on the other side as well. It's not broken, but I don't want to wait for it to fail.