PDA

View Full Version : TIII Oil passage on head leaking

polopharm
04-14-2016, 07:58 AM
I thought I had a leaky head gasket, oil seeping from exhaust side of #4.
Pulled head and found the following http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160414/688723599b909303e7c483df8b9e69fa.jpg
Oil leaking from the porous welding. And when they bored out the hole to prep for welding the came within 1/120th of the horizontal passage perpendicular to this one.
Head is warped by 1/16th and has approximately 200 miles on it.

Plan is to send back machine shop , hope he can remove old weld and re-do it better

Suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

going4speed
04-14-2016, 09:03 AM
That is a huge amount of porosity. All that needs to be ground out to parent metal before rewelding. A few things I look for when I see this level of porosity are filler metal type being wrong, cleanliness (probably the root cause here), preheat quality, weldor capability. It may be in your best interest to find a good aluminum local tig weldor to fix that before getting the head resurfaced by potentially a different machine shop. 1/16 warp at that low a mileage sounds ridiculous to me.

polopharm
04-14-2016, 10:03 AM
I agree 100% , I bought the car like this.
I am having a race fabricator , that does the Honda factory race team heads as well as all there tig welding.
His concern is the fact that when this was done they took out so much of the parent metal , that he will likely have to repair the other passage as with only 1/120 he believes he will enter that passage.

The idea was to pre heat metal, bring all impurity to surface , clean again and then repeat till clean. He says not only is it full of impurities , but now also oil.

----

2.216VTurbo
04-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Sounds like the race shop youre using is plenty competent but years ago when I had welding done in that area of the TIII head the shop I used unknowingly welded the oil passage to the exhaust cam shut, it of course wasn't discovered until after assembly and running the car a bit:mad: Big PIA.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: Im not too sure they can fix a .060 warp?? I think the cams will be binding. I'm selling off my TIII spares, LMK if you need a bare head.

going4speed
04-14-2016, 02:58 PM
yea having that level of weldor available rocks! Dont forget post heat and slow cool too. how did you measure the warp?

polopharm
04-14-2016, 06:32 PM
The engine builder measured it.
I will ask him. It did have a very thick cometic gasket.

But nothing was binding , and has adjustable valve gears.