PDA

View Full Version : 86 T1 engine build - advice needed

RattFink
04-10-2016, 11:17 PM
I'm building a new engine for my 86 Shelby Charger. Power levels will be nothing insane. 200 - MAYBE 250 HP. Looking for a fun weekend driver, probably won't see a drag strip. I will most likely do a T2 conversion upon installing the engine as I already have some of the pieces stashed away. I plan on using an 86 2.2 bottom end as I have 2 of them already. I am not worried about the block or crank at those power levels. I am however worried about the connecting rods. From researching, I have the weakest rods which are known to fail with no warning at all for no reason. What is the best route to go with the rods? Early carb rods, which are supposedly stronger, with press pins and stock pistons or T2 rods/piston combo? If I go T2 rods/pistons, will I have a problem using my 86 crankshaft? Are common block T2 rods/pistons any different from non common block T2?

ajakeski
04-11-2016, 08:08 AM
1985 Turbo 2.2 rods are the same size as 1987 and later TII and common block Turbo rods. The only diffrence is that the 85 Turbo rods are for pressed pin pistons. TII and CB rods are bushed for floating pins. 85 rods can be machined for bushings and floating pins.

All these rods are the same length and all will work with your 86 block and crank. It just depends on the piston you choose to use. Stock 86 TI pistons were cast with pressed pins.

Gaboon
04-11-2016, 02:05 PM
You should be just fine with the rods you have.
I've run well over 300hp at the wheels with 86 lightweight rods with absolutely no issues.