PDA

View Full Version : 8 cyl Deutz Diesel Overheating?

guyd_15
10-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Here at work, I've got a Deutz 1015, V8 watercooled, that's overheating. I've checked the usual stuff, it's had the radiator replaced. I don't have anywhere to run the equipment under a load (It never overheats, without the engine being under a load, regardless of engine speed).

Does anyone know if there are dipsticks that I can use to check the coolant for exhaust gases? If I need to use a gas analyzer, does anyone have any recommendations?

If you've got any suggestions, they will be appreciated!

Thanks!
Guy

TopDollar69
10-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Does it sound funny at all when its running (missing)? How does the exhaust look? Hows the blow by?

guyd_15
10-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the reply.

It's was brand new, we had it air freighted from Austria ($$$$$).

I wish we could run it on our dyno, but it usually takes about 160 hours to pull it out of the piece of equipment. When we dyno our Detroit Diesels after break in cycles we run them for 10 hours under max load at WOT. If there are any problems this usually brings them out :).

It makes no unusual noises. The exhaust looks good. Injection timing is perfect! I did find a product sold thru NAPA called Blok-Chek and am going to give that a try.

Guy

TopDollar69
10-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Sounds like it might be a thermostat. I could be wrong, as all I usually work on are 2011s and 2012s, but the principles are the same. How does the radiator and hoses feel after its run up to temp?

ottawa rogue
10-14-2006, 05:27 PM
this may sound crazy, but check to make sure you have the right amount of antifreeze, some engines are tempramental this way. we had a F-800 ford that would overheat if the antifreeze concentration got above 60%, and it took us a while to figure it out.
on the gas thing, if you have a tool dealer, have him get you one of those things that you stick in the radiator fill neck and put the chemical in, if you've got combustion gas in the antifreeze, it'll change color from a dark blue to a yellow color, i've used them on diesels before.

TopDollar69
10-17-2006, 10:28 PM
I have a couple more questions, and ideas. You might have a leaking intercooler, causing the engine to overfuel. Is this piece of equipment repowered? If so is the radiator the correct size? Im guesssing the engine came with a radiator and intercooler, so was the engine speced correctly for the apllication?

guyd_15
10-18-2006, 06:41 AM
No, it isn't a repower. Engine is a drop in (duplicate of OEM spec). It is an upgrade, 10 of the other pieces are air cooled. The remaining 5 pieces are water cooled, 4 have no problems this one has the persistant overheating condition. At this time I'll use the NAPA product to check for exhaust gas in the coolant. If it checks positive, out it comes (With such a long lead time on engines, we've ordered another engine from Austria). We need the piece back in service!
I will check for a leaking intercooler.
Thanks