PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Lancer Wheel Center Cap Repair Solution

ajakeski
03-25-2016, 08:49 AM
I designed an replacement insert for the retainer clips of the Shelby CSS wheel center caps. Using the insert will require cutting off any remaining retainer clips on the cap, if there are any left.

I've made working prototypes in ABS. The final procuct will be made in a stronger, more flexible nylon. The new piece has an interference fit to the original cap and can be epoxied and maybe riveted in place for added security.

This should be available for sale in the next few weeks.

minigts
03-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Wow, nice work man!

ajakeski
03-25-2016, 05:37 PM
Wow, nice work man!

Special just for you!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/S7GA82TS4/1987-shelby-lancer-center-cap-repair-insert?li=shop-inventory&optionId=59542862

iTurbo
03-25-2016, 05:39 PM
VERY cool! Beings I have 2 sets of CSS wheels, I can see myself buying these. One set has no caps, the other only has a couple (including one that has no broken teeth).

Kudos!!

EDIT: ordered 8.

ajakeski
03-25-2016, 05:55 PM
VERY cool! Beings I have 2 sets of CSS wheels, I can see myself buying these. One set has no caps, the other only has a couple (including one that has no broken teeth).

Kudos!!

EDIT: ordered 8.

Thanks!

It locks the cap on the wheel pretty tightly. In order to get the cap off you have to tap the retainer gently from the back side with a drift and a hammer.

Xtrempickup
03-25-2016, 06:02 PM
Looks good man

iTurbo
03-25-2016, 06:37 PM
Thanks!

It locks the cap on the wheel prety tight. In order to get the cap off you have to tap the retainer gently from the back side with a screwdriver and a hammer.

Sounds like a good thing! Nobody would ever want to lose one of these in the ditch at 100 + MPH. Plus they just so happen to be my favorite stock turbo Mopar/Shelby wheel.

88C/S
03-25-2016, 09:35 PM
Faaantastic, I was going to pry a medallion from a cap that has one or no tabs left. Now, I can buy your solution and swap out the cap that has the missing medallion for the one with the missing tabs.:thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
03-25-2016, 10:47 PM
My wifes jeep has clips like the CSS caps, but on the inner diameter is a groove that a ring clip fits in to and doesn't allow the clips to flex in and holds the center cap in tight. something like this I thought would be nice to hold the caps in and keep the clips from failing. Next time I have the wheels off (might be a while) I'll try and snap a pic.

ajakeski
03-26-2016, 12:22 AM
That could help, but the real issue is the clips breaking off. The original plastic was too ridgid and brittle and probably never strong enough to hold that big center cap in place.

ajakeski
03-26-2016, 11:30 AM
Good cap vs. Repaired cap: