PDA

View Full Version : Built t2 vs srt swap

polopharm
03-16-2016, 08:54 AM
Starting another consulier project. This is a dedicated road car only car. A factory built race car. It comes minus engine , but with a555 with lsd.
Horse Power goals are modest only looking for 300 max whp. Much more hp will negatively affect both drivability and racing class.

I am also looking at reliability, parts availability, and relative ease of install.
I would prefer a coil pack type ignition, probobly stand alone management.

engine cooling is very important.

going4speed
03-16-2016, 09:49 AM
Holset 2.5 T2 setup with megasquirt sounds fun

tryingbe
03-16-2016, 10:09 AM
Here's a built 2.2L dyno I just did, on E85, still on factory LM.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?79759-My-8-valves-made-290whp

http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe/dodge/omniproject/2015build/dyno1.jpg

But I were to build a race car, I'd probably choose a n/a V8. Flat torque curve, less parts (no turbo, intercooler, pipings, bov, oil feed, oil return, etc), easy of installation due to less parts, LS performance parts are everywhere, etc.

Have you thought about a LS4 (FWD)?

contraption22
03-16-2016, 11:31 AM
If you're already planning on aftermarket engine management, I would go 2.4 between the two. You could build a very mild engine and make 300hp very easily.

polopharm
03-16-2016, 08:57 PM
Can't do a v8 swap for multiple reasons in a consulier. They built a couple but the had to extend the monocoque chassis.

Also as factory made mainly t2 , a couple t3 and 1 srt4 , you can use anyone of them and still qualify for vintage racing. Or as stock for 1 lap of america.

Looking for durability as will eventually do the Carrera panamericana.

tryingbe
03-16-2016, 09:05 PM
2.4, maybe a ported head, but minimal boost if it is any kind of endurance race.

polopharm
03-16-2016, 09:23 PM
@tryingbe what amount of boost was that On your dyno?

I am sure this is posted somewhere here , but how much different are the motor mounts, bell housing etc. Between the srt and the t2?

tryingbe
03-16-2016, 10:22 PM

Boost/AFR graph is under the HP/torque graph

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?79759-My-8-valves-made-290whp

A.J.
03-16-2016, 11:31 PM
I'd go SRT-4. Much easier to get parts and lots of aftermarket support.

I am sure this is posted somewhere here , but how much different are the motor mounts, bell housing etc. Between the srt and the t2?

On my SRT-4 build, The transmission mount lined right up. I used an automatic but the manual mount will line up also. The front mount I used a '98 2.4 N/A Caravan mount. I only had to slot some bolt holes and it lined right up. The timing belt side mount I had to build. I use the Stratus engine mount, an adaptor somebody made to put the 2.4 in a Neon, my original '88 Caravan mount and an aluminum spacer welded to the 2.4 Neon adaptor.

As far as the transmission most of the bolt holes line up but if it's a road race car, why not get an automatic trans that bolts to the 2.4 and a manual valve body and then you don't have to worry about trying to adapt the 555 to the 2.4?