PDA

View Full Version : Valve guide locks

black86glhs
03-10-2016, 01:44 PM
Anyone have a source for getting these? I would like the small amount of insurance they give especially since the guides were replaced?
Thanks,

Bryan

johnl
03-10-2016, 03:18 PM
Too late but I like flanged or snap ringed guides for that reason.

black86glhs
03-10-2016, 05:03 PM
The guides I have in the head already have the groove but did not come with the lock rings. Hence my question.

johnl
03-10-2016, 06:47 PM
If the grooves are proud of the aluminum, then you still might be able to slip the rings on, or not?

black86glhs
03-10-2016, 11:51 PM
It hasn't been run yet, so it can be done. However, I don't have them and am looking for some. Never used them on anything before, but I know once the guides are changed they can drop, mainly on the exhaust side.

johnl
03-11-2016, 12:30 AM
You might be able, on the side of each, to lightly tap with a sharp center punch just to raise a proud spot, or two, that hopefully would catch a dropping one, in the unlikely event . . .

Each guide, being solid in the head, and if you had a partner press and "buck" each with something well shaped and good and heavy before your careful strike, then likely OK.

black86glhs
03-11-2016, 09:18 PM
You might be able, on the side of each, to lightly tap with a sharp center punch just to raise a proud spot, or two, that hopefully would catch a dropping one, in the unlikely event . . .

Each guide, being solid in the head, and if you had a partner press and "buck" each with something well shaped and good and heavy before your careful strike, then likely OK.Good idea John. I will look into this. I've staked other items to secure them, but it never crossed my mind on the guides.

4 l-bodies
03-16-2016, 11:43 AM
It hasn't been run yet, so it can be done. However, I don't have them and am looking for some. Never used them on anything before, but I know once the guides are changed they can drop, mainly on the exhaust side.
Exhaust guides can and do drop on factory guides too Bryan. I've seen plenty of them dropped on cylinder head teardowns. Did you use steel-iron or manganese-bronze guides? Most bronze replacement guides will have a stop ring built in. The bronze guides can be run a bit tighter, which will increase the life of valve job. I don't really get why your machinist wouldn't have noticed the stop ring groove before installing and resolved issue then? Installed with stop, proper installed depth is then a breeze.
Todd

black86glhs
03-16-2016, 12:17 PM
I replaced them. They are at the proper height, just that they didn't come with the stop rings and thought they should have. Thus, why I was asking if anyone has a source for the rings.