PDA

View Full Version : TIII sorta have a t3 question. *puts on flame suit*

Bardo
03-04-2016, 09:37 PM
*zzzziipp* I'm looking to get a 92 spirit rt for dirt cheap. I'm giving it to my step son and I'm not warm and fuzzy about him have a t3 to beat on. Being I have a tune of 8v stuff, I was wondering how hard it would be to swap the t3 out in favor of a 2.5 8v?

turbovanmanČ
03-04-2016, 09:53 PM
It wouldn't. The 8 valve drops right in then you'd need to find either a 92 8 valve turbo wiring harness, I believe the Van's work but my memory is going or modify the TIII harness. Again, IIRC, the cam and crank sensor connectors are the same as an 8 valve HEP.

Bardo
03-04-2016, 10:14 PM
So then I would just need a tune for a 92 8v correct?

turbovanmanČ
03-04-2016, 10:16 PM
So then I would just need a tune for a 92 8v correct?

You would need an 8 valve turbo SBEC, you can't use the RT one unless you make the cam and crank triggers work.

Bardo
03-04-2016, 10:48 PM
Got it. Thanks Simon.

iTurbo
03-05-2016, 02:30 AM
I'll just echo what Simon said and those are pretty much your options. You can transplant an 8v '91-92 Spirit ES harness in, or you can modify the R/T harness. If you modify the R/T harness, just be aware that several things will need to be relocated for 8v use. The cam/crank sensors will become the HEP pigtails, the injector wiring is on the other side of the engine, the knock sensor is in a different spot etc, and you'll definitely have to use the 2.5L 8v SBEC as a starting point.

Why not just run it with the stock TIII for now? I was only 16 years old when my older brother bought an '85 GLH and it made a car guy out of me..

Bardo
03-05-2016, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I have 2 reason to swap the engine. 1 is,because I have a whole bunch of t1/2 parts and w because I believe I can sell the complete t3 engine for the price I'm getting the car for.

iTurbo
03-05-2016, 03:02 AM
I'm probably going to be telling you something that you don't want to hear. You should just keep the TIII in it.

Why?

1. Do you really want to go through the hassle of wiring harness transplant or major wiring modifications? Probably not.
2. Do you have a 2.5L TI ready to drop in? Does the TIII run? If so, just run it!
3. Despite popular opinion, the TIII (IN MY EXPERIENCE) is very reliable and gets great gas mileage as well as making good power. I would know because I used a Spiirt R/T for many 10s of thousands of miles delivering pizza.
4. People talk all the time about how expensive TIII parts are. But I'm here to tell you it's bullshit. Everything is available and parts are available for the asking. The Maserati stuff is what is actually hard to get.
5. It's a somewhat rare car! Don't neuter it! Let your stepson have some fun with it!

Bardo
03-05-2016, 03:26 AM
We have one more problem. He can't drive a 5speed very well.

tryingbe
03-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Get something slow, reliable, safe, and take regular gas. The one none of his friends want to ride in it is perfect.

moparman76_69
03-05-2016, 09:30 AM
There are tons of local 2G SOHC neons for dirt cheap (at least here). If you want him to get better at a manual, let him tear one of those up first. I completely trashed the transmissions in the first two vehicles I owned. I put 4 clutches in the second one until I finally trashed the gears inside the trans. That way he can work his way up to the R/T and maybe even have a shitty neon for a winter beater.

turbovanmanČ
03-05-2016, 02:22 PM
If he can't drive a 5 speed, then he'll have to learn. Its not that hard and IMHO, everyone should learn how to drive a stick to get a drivers license.

Bardo
03-05-2016, 02:31 PM
When it's all said and done the car will be free. I haven't seen a car for free on Craigslist yet. Simon his mom and I both agree that he needs to learn how to drive a stick but until he gets his license its the least of our concerns. He has a hard enough time with an automatic lol

turbovanmanČ
03-05-2016, 04:32 PM
When it's all said and done the car will be free. I haven't seen a car for free on Craigslist yet. Simon his mom and I both agree that he needs to learn how to drive a stick but until he gets his license its the least of our concerns. He has a hard enough time with an automatic lol

LOL, dare I say then he should walk! :p

Bardo
03-05-2016, 05:39 PM
LOL, dare I say then he should walk! :p

That was also a consideration

Wastelands Warrior
03-05-2016, 05:56 PM
If u can get the R/T cheap why not sell it for a profit without cutting it up and buy something else for the kid? I can't see ripping up a perfectly good rare car when u can get something else that will be a better fit.

Bardo
03-05-2016, 07:48 PM
Because the td community is known for being cheap and striping it for parts will turn more of a profit.

Wastelands Warrior
03-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Because the td community is known for being cheap and striping it for parts will turn more of a profit.

You got me there. I couldn't believe some of the cheap arse stuff I've seen around the community...and the buzzards are proud of being cheap and rude!

Bardo
03-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Even tho its a 1 of 2xx car or what ever, that only means something here. To everyone else, it's just a spirit. I can't say anyone is rude being their are people in this thread that don't want me to do what I'm thinking of doing but they still offer helpful hints on what needs done.

Wastelands Warrior
03-05-2016, 11:53 PM
Even tho its a 1 of 2xx car or what ever, that only means something here. To everyone else, it's just a spirit. I can't say anyone is rude being their are people in this thread that don't want me to do what I'm thinking of doing but they still offer helpful hints on what needs done.

I didn't mean people in this thread are rude. I meant my experiences trying to sell things and getting lowball offers and the people are acting like they are doing you a favor by insulting you with their cheapness.

mopar-tech
03-06-2016, 11:56 AM
57475574765747757478574795748057481574825748357484 5748557486
Thanks for the info guys. I have 2 reason to swap the engine. 1 is,because I have a whole bunch of t1/2 parts and w because I believe I can sell the complete t3 engine for the price I'm getting the car for.

Swap to TII is easy on a TIII car I did two of them.

Just use the TBI alternator sub-harness (unplug the TIII alternator harness) The cam sensor plug on the shock tower extend over the rad support and have it end at the distributor. That takes care of the distributor end. Extend the TBI AIS and TPS wiring to where the TII throttle body is. The TIII fuel injector harness works fine on a TII, will even stretch over to reach.

Gary D.

Bardo
03-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Thanks Gary. I know you've done it before but I also know you're busy and I was really hesitant about PMing you about it. By the way what did you do for a computer? Did you find a 92 computer with a 2.5 tune?

mopar-tech
03-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Thanks Gary. I know you've done it before but I also know you're busy and I was really hesitant about PMing you about it. By the way what did you do for a computer? Did you find a 92 computer with a 2.5 tune?

Nope. I ran the car with an 1990-1991 Turbo I computer with a modified 3bar 2.2 VNT calibration and plus 40's. Passed the states sniffer emissions with flying colors.

My personal car had an 87 TII motor with ported head, Turbonetics Super 60 Turbo and double core intercooler. It would run 13's all day on Falken street tires at moderate boost, never ran it on slicks.

Bardo
03-06-2016, 09:51 PM
Not worried about passing emissions test because my county doesn't require. this information was a world full of help thank you Gary. Now just have to get the car to the house and figure out what I'm going to do.

iTurbo
03-07-2016, 12:40 AM
You might just have to pass on this car and find something else.

Bardo
03-07-2016, 03:19 AM
You might just have to pass on this car and find something else.

Why would you say that? Gary just laid out the whole process.