PDA

View Full Version : Windshield re-seal

polopharm
10-19-2015, 07:01 PM
As I continue to plug away and am getting closer to having my car finally back on the road , I found another issue.

My windshield has come loose from the epoxy that holds it on. The glass is fine. It is worst at the lower front center, where it has separated completely from the epoxy.

I assume that the windshields were bonded on to all of the cars ? As opposed to a gasket?

I think that from having the car on a lift all summer , the body flexed enough to break the seal.(??) When I have someone push on the rear quarter panel , I can feel movement in the windshield.

Has anyone removed and re-bonded their windshield ?

I don't think that just "window-weld"ing it in place will be adequate. I am worried about the windshield becoming a giant sail at speed , and flying off.

Thanks

MPI_duster
10-19-2015, 08:54 PM
I've talked with a local company that is willing to remove and reseal my windshield. But, most companies are scared of it and won't touch it.

polopharm
11-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Had a window guy out today. He did NOT want to remove it. He thought there was a 90% of breaking it.
He removed all epoxy from inside and out. Centered glass in frame with little sticks like used for setting tile and re-bonded it. Had to remove dash cover to get to it inside.
Looks perfect.

Ps he commented on the smell inside the car. Said it smelled like being in a new boat hull.

Do they all smell like that??!!