PDA

View Full Version : TIII How do you use the timing belt tension tool?

Force Fed Mopar
09-27-2015, 03:33 PM
I see the tool referenced all the time, can find any pics or videos on using it. I normally don't get picky with belt tension as I'm pretty good with doing it by feel, but I've never done a TIII and I know they are picky about the tension. I'd like to check this 2.5 stroker out before installing it and also would like to do the idler mod, and want to see and feel the different settings so I know what it should be. That way if I get in a bind somewhere with it and have to reset or emergency change the belt w/o a tool around, I can do it by feel.

Vigo
09-28-2015, 06:18 PM
The tool has a weight on the end and I am pretty sure you are just supposed to let it 'self tension' based on that weight, but I just use the weight as a helpful place to grab onto and tension it by hand. :p

I've never had a problem from improper belt tension on any of the ones I've done by hand. I've had them make a noise when too tight, then I backed them off. I've repaired a car with a cam broken in half from what was probably massive overtension on a recent cylinder head replacement. None of my own stuff has ever broken. So I don't really care how the tool is used. I know, so helpful, right?

Dr. Johny Dodge
09-28-2015, 06:27 PM
tool is like a short box end wrench

box end wrench end goes on the center hex part of the tensioner with the weight at or around the 11:00 o'clock position

the weight of the tool is supposed to give correct tension once the tensioner center bolt is loosened as gravity pulls down on the weight causing the tensioner to rotate on it's center into and against the timing belt

but , and I'm refering to 8v motors I always add just a little thumb pressure while tightening the center bolt in the tensioner

a , for just a hint of reasurance the weight is really hanging on the belt so to say

B , but mostly to prevent the tool from turning as I tighten the center bolt

Idono about rt motors , I've seen the r/t guys recomend useing a belt tension gauge but I always set my 8v tension at the point where the tensioner's hub JUSTstarts to make a cricket like sound

if it's to tight that sound is way to loud - if to lose it makes no sound

and yes I always set the tension while the engine is running - but the ps belt is outta the way

I've never cared where exactly on the cam pully the belt tracked
inside edge / outside edge / somewhere in the center ... it's the sound of the tensioner hub under load I check for

and I've never had a timing belt related failure

Force Fed Mopar
09-28-2015, 06:57 PM
The belt tension gauge is what I was referring to, and I posted in the TIII section :thumb: Lol I've done 8v belts dozens of times, the one time I used the special weighted tool the belt jumped, so I just use an adj wrench on the tensioner pulley like I've always done.

Pat
09-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Loosen the rocker assemblies to get valve spring tension off the belt, grab the belt in the middle of the two can gears with the tool, read tension, adjust as necessary, repeat.

Force Fed Mopar
09-28-2015, 07:20 PM
But how do you read it? Is it supposed to just sit on the belt and reads tension as you tighten? Or do you twist the belt using the tool?

rx2mazda
09-28-2015, 07:27 PM
There is a gauge on the tool that indicates current tension.. http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20150928_192528183.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/rx2mazda/media/IMG_20150928_192528183.jpg.html)
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20150928_193119961.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/rx2mazda/media/IMG_20150928_193119961.jpg.html)

Force Fed Mopar
09-28-2015, 08:45 PM
I've seen all that, but how exactly does it work? Do you push on the handle, pull on it, does it just sit there and read it as you tighten the tensioner??? I know what it looks like and where it goes, but how it's used has me confused. I'm sure it's simple once you've seen it once. Any video of this procedure?

rx2mazda
09-28-2015, 09:59 PM
I've seen all that, but how exactly does it work? Do you push on the handle, pull on it, does it just sit there and read it as you tighten the tensioner??? I know what it looks like and where it goes, but how it's used has me confused. I'm sure it's simple once you've seen it once. Any video of this procedure?

Sorry, I got you now! You have to push on it to open the teeth to allow the timing belt to fit between, then you release it and can take the measurement. You can leave it there clamped onto the belt and tighten/loosen to the correct tension. I do that and then re-release the tool and recheck the gauge.....adjust as needed. If my engine was together I would take a video for you. Hope that helps you!

Force Fed Mopar
09-29-2015, 05:20 AM
Okay I think I understand it now. Thanks!

Vigo
09-29-2015, 08:40 AM
The belt tension gauge is what I was referring to, and I posted in the TIII section

Oh, that tool? Whoops. I'm in the tIII section?! Whoops. This is what i get for just hitting the 'new posts' button like a lazy bastard.

Lol I've done 8v belts dozens of times, the one time I used the special weighted tool the belt jumped,

Ahh, sweet vindication. When i got the tension tool (in a box of other parts) i couldnt believe how loose it left the belt. Guess it was reasonable to be suspicious.

dodgedaddie
01-25-2016, 12:38 AM
Thank you for asking that question,,
I too was total dumbfounded on the "HOW TO" of this gauge that you all have talked an recommended.
I oddered one but has not come in yet,

THANK YOU,,, rx2 Mazda

iTurbo
01-25-2016, 01:07 AM
Loosen the rocker assemblies to get valve spring tension off the belt, grab the belt in the middle of the two can gears with the tool, read tension, adjust as necessary, repeat.

This is a very important step on the TIII. When you loosen/tighten the rocker shaft assemblies, follow the FSM torque specs/sequence so you don't strip out those bolt holes!

HSKR
01-25-2016, 01:47 AM
You have to push the handle and release to check tension each time. You can't just leave it attached and adjust and watch gauge. It doesn't work that way. Also, I recommend re-checking the tension after tightening down the rocker arms and rotating the engine a couple times. Usually the tension won't change on the gauge much without rotating the belt a little.

dodgedaddie
01-25-2016, 12:02 PM
iTurbo...
Where is this located so as to follow,??
,,,,,,,,,,follow the FSM torque specs/sequence so you don't strip out those bolt holes!

THANKS
My R/T has been in storage for the past 15 years and want to get it back out and have a little MID-LIFE crises this summer and what to do it with out any issues,,

"KNOW WHAT I MEAN",,,,

rx2mazda
01-25-2016, 01:25 PM
I recommend re-checking the tension after tightening down the rocker arms and rotating the engine a couple times. Usually the tension won't change on the gauge much without rotating the belt a little.

That won't work. The reason you loosen the rockers is to get a accurate reading without the cams pulling on the belt. Once you tighten the rockers the cams are pulling on the belt again so the reading won't be accurate. Loosen the rockers, set the tension, re-torque the rockers and drive.

HSKR
01-25-2016, 01:44 PM
That won't work. The reason you loosen the rockers is to get a accurate reading without the cams pulling on the belt. Once you tighten the rockers the cams are pulling on the belt again so the reading won't be accurate. Loosen the rockers, set the tension, re-torque the rockers and drive.

I've done that, re-checked torque after a drive cycle and belt was loose and had to take it back apart to re-set tension. No the tensioner did not move. I always re-check tension after rotating the motor. Have over 30K miles on the car now doing it that way with out the jackson mod for idler pulley and no issues.

rx2mazda
01-25-2016, 02:06 PM
I've done that, re-checked torque after a drive cycle and belt was loose and had to take it back apart to re-set tension. No the tensioner did not move. I always re-check tension after rotating the motor. Have over 30K miles on the car now doing it that way with out the jackson mod for idler pulley and no issues.

Once the rockers are tightened the reading won't be accurate. They can show too loose or too tight (causing you to take everything back apart and re-tension for no reason). If you set the tension with the rockers loose you're good. If you want to rotate the motor a few times and check tension again **WITH THE ROCKERS STILL LOOSE** that's not a bad idea. Only reason the tension should change is if you're using a new belt as it stretches a bit. If I put a new belt on I set it a little tighter since I know it will slack some. Then I re-check after about 500-miles.

HSKR
01-25-2016, 02:17 PM
To each their own. I've found what works for me.