PDA

View Full Version : Rossion

polopharm
09-22-2015, 05:54 PM
I just stopped by Rossion today. All the vans were crushed and junked over the summer.
They are trying to consolidate the parts in the containers and get rid of it all, either by selling it and or dumping it all. No time frame on that yet.

I did find 2 series 2 engine covers and 1 engine cover for a targa?? See picture http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/22/d1a1de1bb546ff4d9b09038ab4fe88a8.jpg

Also found 3 decent windshields, I grabbed one. The glass is clear, minor fogging in corners by the black stripes. See picture. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/22/3c83cf1deb8ade4ba6297663b7ea39cc.jpg

Lots of the cragar wheels left , but the pickings are getting slimmer.

The have actually put a bunch of mosler mt90 stuff out in the containers. So I imagine they are serious about getting rid of stuff.

My car should be back on the road next week. Just got the radiator back. It looks great. This guy had done some work for Warren years ago , and had told him about a design flaw in the radiator that allows too much flex , and thus the break. Mine was modified in this way , and re-cored http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/22/d18d59a0da7359ea8d96b8dc8d62a3ba.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/22/21e9a0c502ab6d4de0f59eb86db1597c.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/22/82c106e5694bf5f8a0a3d321b12b1ae7.jpg

polopharm
09-22-2015, 06:04 PM
On further inspection the windshield I picked up is better then I thought. Most of the "fogging " is actually under the black stickers that surround the windshield, as I cleaned it and the sticker came off it was clear underneath. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/22/af96df672a017e2c440017ec46462c9a.jpg

There are 2 more pretty good ones , and then a bunch of not good ones.

They still have the aluminum sub frame that believe dscrab was looking for.

Rrider
09-22-2015, 06:26 PM
I really wanted one of those vans. I love vans. I love composites.

Would have never done anything with it though..

DaveSkrab
09-22-2015, 07:28 PM
As of last week, I am waiting on a shipping quote on that subframe. Guess I need to call again.

player1up
09-23-2015, 09:12 AM
My guess is that it's all gonna get dumped, too much trouble and work for all of the little stuff.
Don't get me wrong, the guys are cool, but we're talking hours and hours of work for very little income comparatively speaking

Besides, everything except the body panels is just about worthless and everything requires rework to be in a usable state.
It's a labor of love more than bolt on pieces...for example: The CF engine cover I bought will be getting the gel coat fixed before it can be used due to the bubbles on the surface.
I would like them to give us the opportunity to help them "remove the junk" ;)
If you don't mind, keep an eye out and let us know when it's getting dumped.

FYI Targa covers are flat, I'm guessing that's an early / prototype series 2 cover based on the aluminum louvers

polopharm
09-23-2015, 09:13 AM
Did anyone recognize what that series 2 cover went to ?
Have not seen one like it before.
Does anyone have an extra series 1 cover that they would want to sell? Or trade for a series 2 ?

polopharm
09-23-2015, 11:38 AM
I am going to keep stopping by weekly or so.
Do you think it's worth trying to get the body molds or no?

I am trying to get a buddy to go in on the yellow WSC racecar , anyone interested let me know. They want 20k best offer.

player1up
09-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Does a series 2 lid fit a series 1 car? I've not seen that one before. There was another series 1 carbon fiber lid there and about 5-10 fiberglass ones. Did they get pitched? Heart breaking if they did. I'd like to have one to "play" with. I can't bring myself to mod the original one.

player1up
09-23-2015, 12:11 PM
I am going to keep stopping by weekly or so.
Do you think it's worth trying to get the body molds or no?

I am trying to get a buddy to go in on the yellow WSC racecar , anyone interested let me know. They want 20k best offer.

The body molds would be cool, but not sure they're worth a whole lot as they'd need to be retooled and without someone with Consulier layup experience...you might have a unique artificial reef... The logistics of building a replacement chassis are daunting...

Although...a quick search of the FL DMV site just made my day a bit more interesting...
NOTE: To register your car as a street rod, it must be manufactured before 1949. To register your car as a custom vehicle, it must be at least 25 years old and have been produced after 1948.

SO, if you build a consulier now it's technically a custom vehicle and doesn't have to meet the constraints of new cars....hmmm

bfarroo
09-23-2015, 01:17 PM
It's sad how last year they thought everything was made out of gold and now it's all getting tossed.

Reaper1
09-23-2015, 02:28 PM
I still think that it's totally possible to build one. Composites aren't really all that hard. The difficult thing would be to make sure to use the correct materials in the correct way. Does anyone know if these were cured in an autoclave or if they were simply wet lay-up with vacuum bags?

player1up
09-23-2015, 04:03 PM
I still think that it's totally possible to build one. Composites aren't really all that hard. The difficult thing would be to make sure to use the correct materials in the correct way. Does anyone know if these were cured in an autoclave or if they were simply wet lay-up with vacuum bags?

Both from what I've heard. The series 2's were rumored to be autoclaved. The series 1's weren't and that's why they're all wavy.

Reaper1
09-23-2015, 05:52 PM
I would think that the waviness had more to do with the mold quality than the way it was processed. I do know that the cars are a foam sandwich type construction, but I don't know if it was foam planks or if it was injected expanding closed cell structural foam? What I DO know is that a lot of the foams out there aren't very dimensionally stable in relation to temperature. Also, the materials, especially fiberglass, shrink a little so it's possible that the parts were under internal stress as it was curing and caused the imperfections.

Using an autoclave would make for a lighter and more structurally sound part, however it's not totally needed and I think that using vacuum assisted resin transfer in an out of autoclave process would work just fine and net parts nearly as light as pre-preg/autoclave parts without the massive cost and complexity.

Thrillz
09-23-2015, 08:28 PM
Is there someone dealing with this stuff there? An email or phone number possibly kicking around?

Thanks

polopharm
09-24-2015, 09:22 AM
I will try n post the new parts guys number. I gotta find it.

player1up
09-24-2015, 09:31 AM
I would think that the waviness had more to do with the mold quality than the way it was processed. I do know that the cars are a foam sandwich type construction, but I don't know if it was foam planks or if it was injected expanding closed cell structural foam? What I DO know is that a lot of the foams out there aren't very dimensionally stable in relation to temperature. Also, the materials, especially fiberglass, shrink a little so it's possible that the parts were under internal stress as it was curing and caused the imperfections.

Using an autoclave would make for a lighter and more structurally sound part, however it's not totally needed and I think that using vacuum assisted resin transfer in an out of autoclave process would work just fine and net parts nearly as light as pre-preg/autoclave parts without the massive cost and complexity.

The story I heard on the waviness is that the cars continued to cure ( shrink in some places ) after being removed from the molds. The molds are finished like you'd expect, very smooth.

Pretty sure they're foam plank. I have vents in the rear of the car on the floor of the "behind the engine area" that are cut through where the core is exposed. Looks like 1/2" or 3/8" foam core with a layer(s) of fiberglass on each side.

Thrillz, Last time I was there we worked with Mike Magee, he's always been super nice and willing to help.

Reaper1
09-24-2015, 02:33 PM
OK, so most likely we are seeing materials not playing nice dimensionally while curing.

Johnny
09-24-2015, 09:15 PM
I would buy the targa cover....or the mold for it.
The one I had made here is okay, but an original mold would be better!!!!!!!

MPI_duster
09-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Any luck on contact info?

MPI_duster
09-29-2015, 02:01 PM
Has anyone see any of the front sub-frames in the storage containers? I've not had a chance to go and rummage through there yet.

bfarroo
09-29-2015, 05:53 PM
I don't remember seeing any when I was there but that was a year ago.

DaveSkrab
09-29-2015, 06:12 PM
I found one on my last visit, it was damaged, but it was the only piece I could find. So we grabbed it.

polopharm
09-30-2015, 08:34 AM
I am going by on Friday morning. Any specific items anyone needs let me know.

MPI_duster
10-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Polopharm, I assume you'll be picking up that aluminum subframe for Dave, if he can't get them to ship it. If you do, could you post up dimensions of the tubes? I've been looking at making a lighter sub-frame, before I knew that one existed.

player1up
10-02-2015, 09:47 AM
I'd also be interested in what ( if any ) the differences are between the steel and aluminum subframes. Specifically if the aluminum one has more supports or gussets or larger tubing. Take lots of pics and measurements.

DaveSkrab
10-02-2015, 07:08 PM
If Polo doesn't measure it, I can take measurements after I get it home. I also have a steel frame to compare to. Will document the differences.
Thankfully, Corey got back to me, and will have a shipping quote monday.

polopharm
10-02-2015, 07:48 PM
It was packed when I was there. So no measurement. But I have a lot of good news from my time there today. Details to follow.

polopharm
10-04-2015, 10:48 AM
I spent 5 plus hours at rossion on friday. I got a much better read on things.
When they told me last week that they were going to "toss all the junk" - they meant the junk like the old empty parts bins, the restaurant equipment etc. Not the car parts!
They do not intend to toss out anymore gtp parts.
In fact they are very fond of the cars , and kind of include them in the rossion family of cars along with the noble and the mt900.
In fact the head body guy told me he wants to build himself a brand new gtp out of full exposed carbon fiber- that would be wild.

Anyway they also said people with specific parts needs can call Corey in parts and he will attempt to find parts and will ship them out. ( he is a bit limited by the fact that he doesn't know the in's n out's of the cars)

All in all a very positive trip. I am going to join them as a guest at there next track day at PBIR, once my car is up and running.

DaveSkrab
10-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Glad to hear the visit went well.

polopharm
10-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Ps did they send out your subframe?

polopharm
10-04-2015, 06:24 PM
While there I picked up 2 full carbon series 1 engine covers - they are unfinished, the body guy at rossion is going to do the finish work on them. They are much lighter then the one on my car now which I think are a mix of fiberglass and carbon.
Also got some cool headlight covers from the Mosler WCS race cars for use as wall art.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/04/bc98c7e7be5416b2bcf8bf5f1fd2176c.jpg

I think I have a good handle on what's there now. If you have questions let me know.

DaveSkrab
10-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Corey said he would have a shipping quote for me on Monday. So, I hope it can go out this week.

Johnny
10-04-2015, 09:51 PM
series 1 engine covers

Really? Not looking right, not for a full engine cover for a series one.

polopharm
10-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Not sure I understand your post

Johnny
10-04-2015, 11:08 PM
I am saying those are not Consulier engine covers.

polopharm
10-04-2015, 11:20 PM
Oh , yeah. In my post it says - they are headlight covers from a mosler wsc race car. They are going up on the wall.

Johnny
10-04-2015, 11:24 PM
OH...okay.

GTP#44
10-05-2015, 06:53 PM
Keep me posted I would like to go to PBIR with you guys….#44 is running fine..

I spent 5 plus hours at rossion on friday. I got a much better read on things.
When they told me last week that they were going to "toss all the junk" - they meant the junk like the old empty parts bins, the restaurant equipment etc. Not the car parts!
They do not intend to toss out anymore gtp parts.
In fact they are very fond of the cars , and kind of include them in the rossion family of cars along with the noble and the mt900.
In fact the head body guy told me he wants to build himself a brand new gtp out of full exposed carbon fiber- that would be wild.

Anyway they also said people with specific parts needs can call Corey in parts and he will attempt to find parts and will ship them out. ( he is a bit limited by the fact that he doesn't know the in's n out's of the cars)

All in all a very positive trip. I am going to join them as a guest at there next track day at PBIR, once my car is up and running.

polopharm
10-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Will keep you posted about pbir , going back up tomorrow, need to find an engine wiring harness to extend mine. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/05/2a00af338c4167febeb4b1bacb6f84c5.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/05/279d5f8ed22ead569e2acd77bbcc0adb.jpg
If I don't find one this is what I am looking for. Going to tidy up wiring , and moved ecu to area behind the engine compartment, the weird useless rear trunk thing.

Will also check that stuff got shipped out.

Did anyone buy a NOS engine n tranny from these guys , if so how much was it ?

Thanks.

MPI_duster
10-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Mine was $700, with axles, subframe, lower control arms, spindles, and one brake rotor.

DaveSkrab
10-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Mine was the same quoted price. $700, same as MPI. Think mine had one brake rotor on it as well. Missing starter and fuel rail, but otherwise comeplete. I may have paid less since I negotiated a price for a large pile of stuff.

GTP#44
10-07-2015, 04:42 PM
[QThUOTE=polopharm;10

92978]Will

keep you posted about pbir , going back up tomorrow, need to find an engine wiring harness to extend mine. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/05/2a00af338c4167febeb4b1bacb6f84c5.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/05/279d5f8ed22ead569e2acd77bbcc0adb.jpg
If I don't find one this is what I am looking for. Going to tidy up wiring , and moved ecu to area behind the engine compartment, the weird useless rear trunk thing.

Will also check that stuff got shipped out.

Did anyone buy a NOS engine n tranny from these guys , if so how much was it ?

Thanks.[/QUOTE

That funny trunk thing is for golf clubs...the MT900 has it also.

polopharm
10-07-2015, 09:49 PM
Found a nos engine harness, will be back up there tomorrow to check on the parts they need to ship out.
Gonna look for some front subframes. Anyone need anything else let me know.

jacob mosler
10-08-2015, 11:38 AM
street legal production vehicles were required to have a trunk.

ill be racing the series2 hammerhead at the NASA event at daytona on october 31st and nov 1st. stop by and say hi!

www.moslerredux.com

wheming
10-08-2015, 01:52 PM

ill be racing the series2 hammerhead at the NASA event at daytona on october 31st and nov 1st. stop by and say hi!

www.moslerredux.com

That's awesome.
Thanks for sharing that link Jacob!
Looks like you have some cool stuff going on.
Any plans to fix up that srt4 engined Consulier? Would love to see that in action.

Reaper1
10-08-2015, 02:51 PM

www.moslerredux.com

Is this still a rule? Do you know? Just wondering as it's a pretty strange requirement! LOL

Oh, and thanks for the link! I wish I could make it...come on over to the west coast! ;)

player1up
10-09-2015, 11:27 AM

www.moslerredux.com (http://www.moslerredux.com)

I gotta see if my schedule will let that happen. I'd love to come out and see you run and chat a bit.
I'm loving the black on the Intruder by the way. Looks like a blackbird.

What rims are those on the #6 hammerhead ?

jacob mosler
10-09-2015, 12:17 PM
I gotta see if my schedule will let that happen. I'd love to come out and see you run and chat a bit.
I'm loving the black on the Intruder by the way. Looks like a blackbird.

What rims are those on the #6 hammerhead ?

it was still a rule when the mt900 was designed, but im not sure if it is now.

most of the race consuliers used Revolution 3 piece wheels, and are about 9.5 inch wide

The SRT4 consulier is on the list, but unfortunately its not near the top of it.

MPI_duster
10-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Daveskrab, has your sub-frame been delivered yet? On pins and needles waiting for some details.

DaveSkrab
10-22-2015, 06:36 PM
Well, I do not have it yet. It's still at Rossion. I got the quote for shipping, and now I am having a hard time getting ahold of the parts manager again. Will try again tomorrow.

MPI_duster
10-22-2015, 08:24 PM
I've tried reaching him for a number of things... Have yet to ever get a call back or any sort of response. Best of luck!

Ultimately, if you needed someone to go do and pick it up for you and have it shipped out, I'd be happy to help out.

polopharm
10-24-2015, 10:26 AM
I will run back up there on Monday or Tuesday to check on the subframe and windshields , anyone else waiting on parts ?

MPI_duster
10-24-2015, 05:05 PM
I hear there is a hammerhead front end? I've tried calling them for weeks. Can't seem to get a call back from the parts guy. Also, do they have any MT900 seats? (might be a nice upgrade)

polopharm
10-24-2015, 10:11 PM
the seats are gone, Randy got the last one,,,Rossion is getting around to building more MT900"s they have a great looking race car in process, I will look for front ends etc, I did see several front clips but think just standard ones, How would you use one? Were the fronts not part of the monocoque? and thus be too structural to swap out?

I believe that Jacob picked up a lot of series 2 stuff recently as per Corey the parts guy(is that right Jacob?) I will be back early in the week. They have been very busy appearing at Rossion, no I am not the newest employee...

- - - Updated - - -

the seats are gone, Randy got the last one,,,Rossion is getting around to building more MT900"s they have a great looking race car in process, I will look for front ends etc, I did see several front clips but think just standard ones, How would you use one? Were the fronts not part of the monocoque? and thus be too structural to swap out?

I believe that Jacob picked up a lot of series 2 stuff recently as per Corey the parts guy(is that right Jacob?) I will be back early in the week. They have been very busy appearing at Rossion, no I am not the newest employee...

MPI_duster
10-25-2015, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't think they're too structurally important. Especially if they have separated front clips, which implies they were made and then assembled. And if that's the case, I'll be able to graft it on to my crash test car to make it whole again.

DaveSkrab
10-25-2015, 10:00 AM
Interesting! I'd have to look at my notes, there was a front clip in one of the upper containers almost pushing against the doors. Think it was a hammerhead.

jacob mosler
10-26-2015, 12:54 PM

- - - Updated - - -

not sure what series 2 stuff you mean. i have taken a look at some of the old stuff but there isnt much i need and i hate going into those death mold containers!!!

there should be lots of unfinished mt900 seats.

i believe the hammerhead front end is grafted on. the only cars with front detachable clips were some of the race cars built in the later 90's (GT1 raptor, Raptor2k)

anyone bringing their consulier to http://nasa-se.com/2015Oct31.php ?

polopharm
10-26-2015, 12:57 PM
I saw a bunch of fiberglass seat shells. I was not sure what they came from. Didnt see any with the cool suede covers that say mt900

MPI_duster
10-26-2015, 01:50 PM
not sure what series 2 stuff you mean. i have taken a look at some of the old stuff but there isnt much i need and i hate going into those death mold containers!!!

there should be lots of unfinished mt900 seats.

i believe the hammerhead front end is grafted on. the only cars with front detachable clips were some of the race cars built in the later 90's (GT1 raptor, Raptor2k)

anyone bringing their consulier to http://nasa-se.com/2015Oct31.php ?

I was trying to make it, but it seems my new turbo and header don't fit between the block and frame rail. So I've got to figure something else out for now.

polopharm
10-26-2015, 02:08 PM
Sounds familiar, that was what happened to me. Had to re plumb a lot.

Johnny
10-26-2015, 02:16 PM
I modified my waste gate attaching bracket.

MPI_duster
10-26-2015, 06:13 PM
I modified my waste gate attaching bracket.

My issue is the Comp housing not anything with the WG. I've got a gt3271R.

polopharm
10-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Just leaving rossion. Corey had a series of family emergencies and has been out on leave.
Thats why no contact.

I found a hammerhead like front end but my camera died.
It had no place for the front trunk. Is that the hammerhead ?
Here is a picture before my phone died. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/27/00c7b6dc094e57e579804ec427a71711.jpg

polopharm
10-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Wait that was a different one.

polopharm
10-27-2015, 05:50 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/27/7e1bd031eb558b2e942fe61596724b9c.jpg
Shoot that's the one I wanted to show. Has only got head lights. No turn signals. Looks like it was held on via clips.

polopharm
11-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Went back to rossion today. The "hammerhead " is not a hammerhead. It is a front clip from a race car. Note it has no curves by the fenders nor area for the frunkhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/11/86bfc655cffb3e87da3a5bcc65fad8b8.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/11/bce22f75dc81dd17f5e2e8fdcfb1fddf.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/11/c3d5f5e9628c82abd134133e75cfbda9.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/11/261f9d5e908b352e35b8fa519b94a19c.jpg
There is also the mold right on top of it.

polopharm
11-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Hard to get good pictures while holding onto scaffolding!!!

polopharm
11-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Compare that flat front to Jacobs race car http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/11/cb404766fb82c47bd0aff36c77d9eeb3.jpg