PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a window that will not roll up

Johnny
08-23-2015, 12:24 AM
Here are the photos labeled 1 through 17.
1. remove the door panel...just two screws in the handle and 4 screws in the speaker. The rest on mine was velcro and snaps.
2. inside the speaker hole you will see the mechanics of everything that needs to be removed. 4 nuts need to come off.
One shown by the red arrow. One below that and two others on the other black brace to the left you can't see or photograph.
3. 4. Then it all slides out to the left. Its a tight fit. Remember to unplug the electric first.
5. Here it is. Now see the red dots? Those are where two bolts need removed to pull off the "trans" from the bracket.
6. 7. 8. Remove from bracket and turn it over.
9. That red arrow points to a screw that needs to be removed. Then take off the black cover.
10. 11. A=the black cover. B= the gear part that needs pulled out of the housing.
12. The important part. This is the under side of the white gear. The triangle tips are where
there should be round plastic roller bearings. How this even worked I have no idea.
All that is there now is grease and crush gravel made of plastic.
13. Part number shown. Showing the start of taking the "gravel/grease" out.
14. Showing the pieces. Now it is time to really clean this up. CLEAN well.
15. add the new plastic roller bearings and lots of grease.
16. Now install A into B, it takes some adjusting to get it to slip into place. Then add the black C cover and that little screw to hold in on.
17. Install the motor/trans back onto the bracket with the two very small bolts. Slide it back into the door. That photos shows the roller that needs to go back into the window track.
18. Install the bracket and bolt it back up. Plug electric connector and try it out.
19. Install door panel.

GLHNSLHT2
08-23-2015, 12:33 AM
ugh, hate those cheap K-car window motors. The DAytona and Lancer style with the tape is much easier to fix when the tape breaks.

HSKR
08-23-2015, 01:00 AM
Last time I replaced just the gear plugs. It lasted about a month an a half before it stopped working again. A tooth broke off the center piece. This kit replaces everything inside the motor and now the window rolls up and down nice and smooth.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031GR4GS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Johnny
08-24-2015, 11:57 AM
I was asked to write instructions, so add some.

- - - Updated - - -

Dorman 747-411 Window Lift Motor Gear
Thanks HSKR for the tip!

player1up
08-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Nice write up Johnny! Kudos

I did both sets on my car a while back but only replaced the entire gear on the passenger side.... should have done both full gears as HSKR suggested as the drivers side is acting funny again.

MPI_duster
08-25-2015, 10:39 AM
I did it on both sides, but did the gear and all. Figured I was in there anyways, might as well put all new. Haven't had an issue since.

- - - Updated - - -

Side note for anyone having window issues. My mount bracket for the motor on the driver's side was rusted out, almost completely. So, I had to build a new bracket also.

Johnny
08-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Replacing it all makes since....great idea.
Mine quit, needed it fixed "now" as I was leaving the next morning at 4 am to head to Portland.
Got it finished at 8:30 pm....ready for the trip the next morning.
Gloves and coat on and windows rolled up when I took off at 4 am and then 4 hours later I was in Portland and had the coat off.
Couple hours later it was 92 degrees out. Nice trip home though.