PDA

View Full Version : looking at buying this TIG

ShadowFromHell
08-11-2015, 08:10 PM
I'm currently shopping for a used TIG. I found this one, it's exactly what I'm wanting. We have two of these at work and I've ran them a lot, but mostly stainless. Problem is the high frequency only works on continuous. I'm planning on using this for aluminium a lot. Main reason I'm buying one. But it's been a while since I've welded aluminum. Ours at work when I weld aluminium I leave the high freq on continuous, but I honestly don't know if that's correct.

Here is the add http://kpr.craigslist.org/tls/5161255998.html

Thanks

acannell
08-11-2015, 08:26 PM
By hf on continuous you mean HF start on DC only? So its lift start on AC? Thats weird..is that typical for older welders? Or is it only on continuous vs pulsed AC?

$700 will get you a brand new everlast TIG welder:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?78637-looking-at-buying-this-TIG&p=1089125#post1089125

Ive been using an everlast powerpro 256 on BMF intakes and I've done 20+ of them using it. Only had two minor problems, the same issue on both, and they've fixed that on new machines anyway. Much smaller and easier to deal with than that huge thing. HF start will work on any mode.

My craigslist-analyzer says that guys pictures are odd. I wouldnt buy that welder unless I could try it out fully. Too big and too expensive to just risk it.

wowzer
08-11-2015, 11:09 PM
i'm looking at getting a tig also and selling at least 1 of my 2 miller mig welders (maybe both). i'm focusing on the everlast asa mentioned as well as the 2015 ahp alphatig 200x. screwing up my srt oil pan on my 2.4 swap by trying to weld aluminum with my mig and spool gun was the push i needed to take the plunge.

acannell
08-11-2015, 11:33 PM
i'm looking at getting a tig also and selling at least 1 of my 2 miller mig welders (maybe both). i'm focusing on the everlast asa mentioned as well as the 2015 ahp alphatig 200x. screwing up my srt oil pan on my 2.4 swap by trying to weld aluminum with my mig and spool gun was the push i needed to take the plunge.

the exact powerpro 256? I think you'll be happy. It might even be worth buying a used one, then the savings start getting really ridiculous. If they are $1700 new, which is already silly cheap, then used Im guessing what $1000? Thats probably how much I'd ask for mine. Then you get 250A TIG/Stick, 60A plasma, with every kind of waveform control there is. Plus its already depreciated so if you liquidate it you lose nothing.

Something I'd definitely recommend is getting a smaller torch than the one that comes with it. It comes with a massive 300A water cooled 18 series which is fantastic for high current, and what I use for the BMF thick stuff. But for low current stuff like tubing or sheet metal its like using a dull butcher knife when you need an exacto knife. The small torch I bought is incredible and totally changed the quality of welds I was able to do on thin aluminum. You could also get a 180A water cooled torch that is much smaller than the 18 series and still could do almost everything you would want, but be much easier to use.

wowzer
08-12-2015, 12:32 AM
not the exact one, i don't want the plasma cutter and want to stay around 1000 all in. i'll probably buy a mistertig upgrade kit for either unit. the review on weld.com of the ahp was generally favorable.

ShadowFromHell
08-12-2015, 09:09 AM
I just can't get myself to buy a Chinese machine when I can buy a monster Miller for the same money. This machine will do 300 amps. I can build frames and rollcages if I want. Besides these things are so overbuilt, it should last forever. I talked to the guy last night and I don't think there is anything wrong with it, he just doesn't know how to run it. He is gonna set it up so I can test it before I buy.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the guy said on the phone 3 times he was open to offers. Going to try to buy it for 500 bucks.

wowzer
08-12-2015, 02:20 PM
i'ld prefer a miller also, but i've been looking for a few months for a used tig welder around here and found nothing for less than 1000.

ShadowFromHell
08-13-2015, 08:57 PM
I was actually looking for this specific machine. I couldn't find one within driving distance for under 1500, then found this 30 miles away! It has a watercooled torch to which if you have tiged a lot you will know how much of a bonus that is.