PDA

View Full Version : same old at track today

89DaytonaTII
10-02-2006, 01:47 AM
Real long story if I actually typed it out so I'll try to dumb it down and keep it short of a book. I know I liek reading track stories, good or bad so here's mine. Starting sat. night getting the car ready to race for today (sunday) at the last race of the year for our track.

current setup: stock T2 cal, stock injectors, rock solid 14psi. Great for daily driving but too slow to bring to the track. (also: t3/t4, 3" ex., fmic, msd ignition, meth inj., 23" slicks, blah blah)

Sat. Night
-install diode, +40 injectors, and AFPR (Used all before but had removed them)
-turn FP down as much as possible to run +40's off stock 89 T2 cal.
-FP bottoms out at 38psi static, car idles sorta half-assed. Turn up to 43psi for good measure. :)
-fill up methanol resevoir and connect dedicated map sensor for controller.
-turn boost up to 25psi
-go out to highway and make a few single gears pulls. Oh yeah it pulls hard and isn't leaning out. Good enough.

Sunday
-drive to track, get there and it starts to rain, f'n great. 3hr delay and now only 1 practice run and then into elimination, great.

Practice run:
-Rip a decent 60ft, 1.95. ( I've had trouble previously getting the 3100lb boat off the line with our crappy track)
-gears 1&2 car pulls harder than ever before, into 3rd a slight bog but it cleans up and pulls just as hard.
-hit 4th and the car completley falls on it's face. Complete bog and there no recovering from it (Insane amount of fuel dumped on shift, remember: +40's on stock cal)
-ride 4th gear decellerating through the traps, swearing a blue streak along the way inside the car.
-timeslip: 14.2 @ 71mph. Well dammit what the hell would the car have run? it's PB is a 13.8 @98, along time ago on a different setup. :confused:

Eliminations:
-Not a clue what to dial in, not even in the slightest. I have not raced the car setup like this ever, let alone raced this year at all :confused:
-dial 13.5, why not hope for better than worse.
-turn FP back down a smidge, and boost up a couple psi. WTH it's the last race of the year :D
-New PB 60ft: 1.90, and gears 1&2 rip like never before. But this time the bog comes on the shift to 3rd. Awesome! It can't recover and coast down the track. That's it I'm done!

Moral of the story, why the hell do I always wait till the night before to put together a completley untested and unknown setup and shoot for the stars the next day. hahaha everytime. Never slowly build up to it, nope from a stockish 14psi setup to 27psi monster overnight and test it at the track. Stupid.

But I'm gonna try and put it on a dyno early this week and make apull just to get some numbers for it's current tune. There's no shifting needed on the dyno :lol:

I don't even know what kind of responses can go toward this thread, I just had to let it out.

The car: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/boostedshelby/Draggins_show009-web.jpg

edit: no 1/8th mile times from our crappy track, so I have no clue how the car was doing :(

banger68
10-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Nice looking car. I've been looking for a blue t-top 89 Shelby for awhile. All I've found is rusted out bondo buckets in Ontario.

89DaytonaTII
10-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks! Nice ones are definielty getting hard to come by up here. They all seem to be winter/owner abused. I don't subject mine to winter duty anymore :)

BadAssPerformance
10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Beautiful car :thumb:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/boostedshelby/Draggins_show009-web.jpg