PDA

View Full Version : Big Trans Problem! Please Help Me

TurboOmni08
10-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Ok, the background info.

The car is a 1990 Dodge Caravan Turbo 1 3-speed. I purchased it with a clacking noise on start up. I drove it for a few days and a torque converter bolt came out. Once I removed the trans I fould that the flexplate was also broken, I assume causing the knocking. I replaced it with a new Advance Auto Parts flex plate and Mopar TC bolts. The TC looked really new (bright blue paint on it) so I reused it. I also did a trans service.

It is now 2 weeks later and I let it sit over the weekend. It clacked on startup. I assumed that it was piston slap and was in a hurry so I drove it the 45mins to home (STUPID!). It make a clicking noise when the engine was holding back, but went away under accelleration. Once I got there it had quite a clicking and hammers like it used to on startup. What really worrys me is the trans fluid, which was new, is now somewhat darker and smells really wierd. It smells...like burned rubber or something.

What in the heck is wrong with this thing? I really don't want to pull the trans again. When I did the flexplate I put it back on the way to old one came out. Is there any chance it was in there backwards in the first place? Would that cause the TC not to sit in the tranny all the way and thus cause the burning problem? That is what is going though my head at this point but I really have no idea.

If I pull the shield on the bottom and the TC bolts are loose, why would that have caused the burning smell?

I know I shouldn't have driven it, but myself and some friends (we are college students) went on a weekend trip and we were in a hurry to get back to school to get ready for Monday. Seems like I may have made things worse for myself :confused:

TurboOmni08
10-02-2006, 11:04 AM
There is irony in the fact that MidOhioMoparSource has a A413 from an 89 Caravan for sale, yet the only vehicle I have that can go get that part is the broken van itself!:( Anyway, I really need to get this figured out so I can get a tranny if I need it. I know it is a lot of reading guys, but please give me some opinions on what might be wrong.

If nothing else answer me this question-
"Would a loose/broken flexplate or torque converter cause the fluid in the trans to burn? Would there be something broekn in the transmission that would cause the burning and vibration enough to brake the flexplate or loosen the torque convertor?"

mcsvt
10-02-2006, 11:20 AM
The loose/broken flexplate and TC shouldn't cause burnt fluid. The clutchs inside the trans would have to be worn and slipping to cause that.

Not sure what is causing the knocking..

bump for more advise :)

Frank
10-02-2006, 11:27 AM
The knocking is the loose torque convertor bolts. That part has happened to me before. Scared the piss out of me when it happened at Ken's house.

Frank

TurboOmni08
10-02-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm gonna see if they are loose when I get home in an hour or so. What causes the burning smell? Does that smell mean the tranny is 100% screwed?

Here is an important question-
Which way does the flex plate bolt to the engine? Which way to the welds/dish go? By dish I mean the center where it bolts to the crank is on a different plain from where the TC bolts to it, I had trouble getting it to bolt to the TC so that is what makes me worry about this.

TurboOmni08
10-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Seems like the bolts are pretty damn tight, but I don't have the proper offset wrench so I need to go buy one so I can make sure they are really tight. As far as the trans fluid being burned, it does not smell or look weird in the light now, whats up with that? Once it is burned isn't it dark and stinky? I'm kinda thinking it has the wrong torque converter in it. It seemed to take like half throttle to make the thing back up. Could the wrong TC cause the fluid to burn? Also, is the A413 in the Van the same as all the other turbo cars? How do you tell it from an NA 3-speed?

midohiomoparsource
10-03-2006, 11:40 AM
The only difference from what I know is that the van's had an extra band/clutch.

I would love to sell you the one I have for sure, but thought this might be of interest to you instead. Not sure how far from you, but probably closer then me lol.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124399

Matt

TurboOmni08
10-03-2006, 02:33 PM
I called Dad and asked him to have our parts guys track down all the applications that match for a 90 2.5L turbo van. Its rather handy having a dealer in the family. He called me back and said J/G/S/and all the other non-L FWD turbo cars are the same a413 tranny. The differences come when you start talking about NA and v6. Then things change and the applications get different. The final drive ratios change.

Anyone disagree? Any other info? Dad didn't give me any model/part numbers to help me tell. I'm sure the "turbo" sticker on the endplate does not last long setting out at a junkyard.

inmyshadow
10-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Did you use locite on the flex plate bolts?

later

turbovanmanČ
10-03-2006, 04:17 PM
OH oh, I bet you didn't seat the TC properly and you've munched the pump gears, hence the noise and burn't fluid and now, lack of power. The flex plate goes with the weld away from the engine, and the lip facing the block.

Yes, all A413's from 87 and up will fit but the turbo's and V6's got extra clutches and a few minor mods. Gear ratio's are different so you will have to be careful. Turbo's got a higher stall converter also.

TurboOmni08
10-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Big update. The fluid in the tranny is NOT burned. I don't know what we were smelling, maybe just hot fluid, but the fluid is nice and red though out. So at this point I am considering saving my current transmission.

The Question-
What caused my new flexplate to break?! Thats two in less then a month. When I got it there was a new looking TC in it, could that be wrong or broken? My uncle tells me he thinks the transmission might be crooked on the engine somehow, or not flush, causing stress on the flexplate. He asked me about the dow pins on the block up top, I cannot remember if they are there or not. Any ideas!?

jre97
10-14-2006, 02:19 AM
Make sure all of your bolts are properly torqued, flexplate to crank, tc bolts, and bellhousing, make sure the tranny is mated tightly to the block (DO NOT try to pull it in with bolts something will break) and use loctite. Also make sure both of your dowel pins are still in the block before reinstalling tranny. In my experience missing dowel pins have caused alot of busted flexplates. As for the tranny fluid "smelling" I wouldn't worry about it unless tranny is slipping. It will tend to take on the smell from the fluid that was in the tranny unless you drained the torque converter or flushed it really thoroughly. It is almost impossible to get all the old fluid out without a complete disassembley of the tranny and installing a new dry torque converter.