PDA

View Full Version : newbie! getting started, LM

Murphy
10-01-2006, 05:29 PM
I am about to put my 87 shelby Z back together. It has a lot of mods including a MPG Mike top end, cutout, and procharger IC. I was thinking it would be best if i could tune the car myself, since the MPG Mike head is kinda expirimental and will need to be tuned differently than an normal ported head. What will I need to do to get started? would it be better to comvert my car to SMEC?

Thank You

mcsvt
10-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Mopar Chem is prob best for you if you stay with the LM. Your going to need something to burn the chip, a socketed LM...

Anonymous_User
10-05-2006, 02:25 AM
Geoff Allen over at MoparChem has a LOT of LM knowledge and experience. Head over there and learn all you want. Modifying your own cal, real time data logging, etc. etc.

http://www.moparchem.com/phpBB3/index.php

Murphy
10-06-2006, 01:15 PM
I started loooking arund and found this:
http://www.omniglht.com/cal.html
looks like a good guide to start with...

so basically, I pull a chip off the board, and replace it with this
http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3155
and that will allow me to install and remove the chip quickly and easily.

then i replace the chip with
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=SST27SF512-70-3C-PGEvirtualkey51530000virtualkey804-27SF5127CPGE
which can hold alot more memory then the origional chip

then i need
http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3082
to read and write information on the chip

is this it?I do that and then i can start reprograming my cal?

Murphy
10-06-2006, 01:26 PM
i just had a crazy idea......

could i like remotely mount the chip like where my ash tray is right now(i dont smoke) so i could like easily swap the chip? and have like 2 chips, 1 for MPG, one for like racing

MiniMopar
10-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Well, actually you can put two cals in one chip. You can't get the 27C128 chips anymore, but the 2xC256 chips are available. They have double the space. The extra address pin is tied high by the LM PCB, but if you have the expertise you can free that pin and connect it to a switch that allows you to switch cals.

Murphy
10-06-2006, 02:52 PM
cool, i'll hafta look around and see if i can figure out how to do that. also is tehre a way to tie in thinks like my EGT, so the cal can monitor it...it seems like that would be a pistons saver right there

Anonymous_User
10-06-2006, 05:51 PM
First, you can use an LM case from '86 and leave the plastic MAP cover off. Then you can access the chip without removing the LM. Or, you can use an EEPROM and serial interface and plug your laptop directly to the LM and flash it that way.

I don't think I've heard of anyone connecting an EGT to the ECU.

Murphy
10-06-2006, 07:06 PM
the laptop idea is cool, but i wouldnt want always have a laptop in my car...t-rops and im in the city

i was thinking about just cutting open case from an old LM i have sitting here

just to verify, those parts look right that i posted a few links back, right?

Anonymous_User
10-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Everything except the PROM looks good. I don't think you can use a 512 chip in an LM. You'll need a 256 and then you'll need to write the calibration twice. The LM originally used a 27C128 so a 27C256 is twice the size. You will also want something with at least a 200 ns speed or faster (lower number)

cordes
10-06-2006, 10:36 PM
the laptop idea is cool, but i wouldnt want always have a laptop in my car...t-rops and im in the city

i was thinking about just cutting open case from an old LM i have sitting here

just to verify, those parts look right that i posted a few links back, right?

That chip will work 100% with out a doubt. That is what I run in my omni. Just burn at the offset C000. You can actually burn 4 files onto that chip if I am not mistaken. I don't really know what it takes to switch between them though, as with the 86' Case that I am using, it only takes about 5 seconds to switch chips. And for the price, even a TMer can spring for a handfull of them.

Murphy
10-19-2006, 07:17 PM
I just got an 86 LM with the MAP on it, what need to be done to get this to run on a 87 t2 car?

cordes
10-22-2006, 09:59 AM
I just got an 86 LM with the MAP on it, what need to be done to get this to run on a 87 t2 car?

You will need the LM from a non-Lbody 87' turbo car, and a three bar map if you plan on running one (I would), then you just follow the FAQ on this site to complete the job.

Murphy
10-22-2006, 09:08 PM
hrmmm.....i have a late 86(like 12/86) TBI cal also, would i be able to combine them into a usable cal? or is the TBI cal wired up too diferently.....if nnot i guess i'll use the case for my stock cal

cordes
10-22-2006, 09:33 PM
hrmmm.....i have a late 86(like 12/86) TBI cal also, would i be able to combine them into a usable cal? or is the TBI cal wired up too diferently.....if nnot i guess i'll use the case for my stock cal

I am not postitive that the turbo LMs are the same as the TBI cars.

ETA: fixing abreviations.

Aries_Turbo
10-28-2006, 07:43 PM
tbi cars are missing some parts like the stuff that drives the other two injector drivers in the PM

Brian

Murphy
10-28-2006, 07:53 PM
oh ok so i wouldnt just be able to swap that missing chip over? guess i'll use my origional LM and use the 86 case