PDA

View Full Version : Convertible top won't go up (switch just clicks) on 85 600ES

Subliminal
10-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Man. I finally decided to put my GTS in the garage and get it going, and this requires removing my convertible. I can't get the stinking top to go up.

The switch just makes a click come from under the top. I can't seem to manually lift it either. Heck, i even tried giving power directly to the wires going to the motor, but no go.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd even take a wire pin-out of the system, if anyone has one.

Thanks!

looneytuner
10-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Motor brushes if the click is from the motor. If you just want it up for now, disconnect the lines at the motor and pull with patience. I have pulled 3 sets for garden tractor hydraulics from jy and all were good. $45 at the local pick n pull

JDAWG
10-01-2006, 09:08 PM
yea you prolly have a bad motor, and they are expensive. Unhook all the manual stuff from the top and just do it manually for now. Try to find a used motor.

Subliminal
10-02-2006, 08:27 AM
I don't think the motor is shot. I say that, because the top went up and down fine, then i parked it in my nice climate controlled garage for a few years, replaced darn near all the wires from the front seats forward, and now it doesn't go up.

I also have no idea how one would disconnect the lines/linkages with the top down...but I didn't look too hard.

Thanks for the reply, nonetheless!

JDAWG
10-02-2006, 08:51 AM
well if you jumped power from the battery directly to the motor and it still doesnt work that tells me its a bad motor, or maybe you have a rusty ground or something

Subliminal
10-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Well, here's the thing about jumping the motor. I can't really get to the motor...i have no keys for the trunk (don't ask) and the top is down. But I could get to the 3 wires leaving the top switch as they go under the back seat.

I was guessing that maybe there is a different power feed and these just work a solenoid, which is why I asked for diagrams, but I'm not sure. You could be right about the motor, but it's kind of weird that it would die with no use, ya know?

JDAWG
10-02-2006, 09:13 AM
I *think* you can get to the motor and stuff by taking out the back seat.

Subliminal
10-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I may try that soon.

For the moment, I used a tarp that was about 10x too big to cover the open cab. I folded it over about 4 times, then put straps on the front of the windshield, so water couldn't get in that way, and then I jacked up each side of the back and tucked the back corners of the tarp under the wheels and let it back down. It's surprisingly water tight @ the moment.

Anyway, I don't plan on leaving it outside all winter...but hopefully long enough to get the GTS running.

Thanks for the help, at any rate!