PDA

View Full Version : TIII Megasquirt on stock TIII sensors?

Force Fed Mopar
07-10-2015, 12:17 AM
Anybody got this to work properly yet? Trying to decide if I want to use the Megasquirt unit that came with my TIII, or get the SBEC socketed and use a flash module. It has a crank trigger setup on it I could use (was running on it before supposedly), but I think it would be cool to use the stock cam and crank sensors for a cleaner, more factory look. Seems that nobody has had particularly good luck with MS and Chrysler sensors, TIII or TII. And I have zero experience with MS, but lots using MP Tune and Turbonator cals.

Ondonti
07-10-2015, 10:25 AM
depends what kind of signal the tIII flywheel gives and the cam signal. The signal must be able to be interpretted by megasquirt. There are "general" signals that work, then some platforms need a unique bit of programming. These would include the 8 valve and also 6g72 DOHC motors. 36-1 or 12-1 are styles that are "general"

crusty shadow
07-11-2015, 05:54 AM
the stock TIII crank sensor reads the teeth on the flywheel, should be able to just set MS for the number of teeth on the flywheel and how many degrees per tooth. since its not a missing tooth crank wheel you will have to run the TIII cam sensor along with it so MS knows where the engine is and what cycle each cylinder is on.

if the MSIII you have was running a TIII before, hook it up and try it-- someone else may have figured out the hard part already.

Force Fed Mopar
07-11-2015, 03:56 PM
It was running the TIII but they were using a crank trigger wheel. If I can make it read the Chrysler sensors would be great. I have the crank trigger still so I can run it if it won't read them properly.

rx2mazda
07-11-2015, 08:58 PM
Stock TIII doesn't read the teeth on the flywheel, it reads off notches that are outside of the teeth (clutch side). If you have the crank trigger setup you should just use that and save the headache.

Aries_Turbo
07-11-2015, 11:17 PM
Unless it's a megasquirt3, the factory ecu has better knock detection and management.

Brian

Ondonti
07-12-2015, 01:39 AM
Unless it's a megasquirt3, the factory ecu has better knock detection and management.

Brian

Thats only cause you didn't become a knock hero

Force Fed Mopar
07-12-2015, 11:10 AM

Brian

That's kinda what I was thinking. I think I'm gonna sell the MS unit and just use the SBEC. I'm fairly well versed with MP Tune now anyway.

Any way to tell what version of Megasquirt it is? Will it be marked on the board inside? It does have an internal map sensor.

Aries_Turbo
07-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Thats only cause you didn't become a knock hero
I know. It sucks. I have the vision but none of the programming skills. In fact keith just posted the code for what we were working on for someone else to finish. I can't do it.

"I just pushed the code out to github"
http://github.com/keith-daigle/avr-tpic8101-420a

The arduino didnt have the power or the space for what we were trying to do. We had the 2.0 and the 2.2 stuff done and partially tested when keith got super busy. We didn't get a chance to create the system for the 3.0. He was going to port it over to a maple. Way more power than an arduino.

- - - Updated - - -

That's kinda what I was thinking. I think I'm gonna sell the MS unit and just use the SBEC. I'm fairly well versed with MP Tune now anyway.

Any way to tell what version of Megasquirt it is? Will it be marked on the board inside? It does have an internal map sensor.

Post a pic. Ms1 has a processor chip. Ms2 has a processor card with other stuff on the board. MS3 has a large processor card with a sd card slot in it.