PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 junkyard run

wowzer
06-16-2015, 02:50 PM
found two 1999 2.4L caravan 3 speed autos at the pick-n-pull junkyard. i was going to make a run and grab the alt, a/c, and p/s MOUNTS. anything else i should grab off these engines while i'm there? i am planning on using my alt, a/c and p/s accesories off my current 2.5 van or 2.2 SC.

jonnymopar
06-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Grab the whole power steering system (minus the rack and lines). With minimal hand-forming, a stock Saginaw pressure line for our cars will attach right to the Caravan 2.4 steering pump. I've been using mine like that for 7 years now. Make sure you grab the reservoir and the hose that attaches it to the pump as well. If you put the reservoir on the passenger-side shock tower like it is in the Caravan, that hose will fit and look like it came stock.

If you can, grab the front engine mount! Most of them are 2-piece, so even if it's a bit too large for an L-body swap as-is, you can use half of it and just custom-make the other half.

Other than that, I found a nice little coil pack heat shield on a Caravan that I pulled parts from. It's on my Neon now.

wowzer
06-16-2015, 06:03 PM
thanks - i was debating on the power steering stuff. i'm sure both existing p/s pumps i have are saginaw. it would be nice to minimize the space taken up by the power steering unit by relocating the reservoir.

Aries_Turbo
06-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Just grab everything. It's only a matter of time before they are crushed.

2.4s are kinda easy to get now but not in a few years.

wowzer
06-17-2015, 09:34 PM
i'm wishing these 2 vehicles would have been available when i started by 2.4 swap. i would have used the 2.4 caravan edz vs the 2.4 stratus edz. oh well.....