PDA

View Full Version : recommended pivot lubricant for windshield wiper arm pivot

chromguy
06-07-2015, 03:36 PM
I am looking for what you recommend for the windshield wiper arm pivot. No information in the FSM.
It is the 1/4" rod the arm attaches to wiper arm on one side and the linkages on the other. The casting that it goes through contains a bronze bushing. It appears to be a wax like lube is in the grease well on the inside of the bushing, the product looks similar to the old door lube in a stick.
I do have the old Door Lube brand stick but also have all types of synthetics as well
My first thought is to use both door lube and viper lube

chromguy
06-07-2015, 09:37 PM
I decided to use only the Viper Lube. I hope it will be fine for the next 30 years.

Wastelands Warrior
06-07-2015, 09:44 PM
What is Viper lube?

chromguy
06-07-2015, 11:03 PM
Viper Lube is a Loctite "High Performance Synthetic grease" Pricey stuff so it must be good, LOL. I been using it for years on things I don't want to take apart again.

ATaylorRacing
06-08-2015, 07:26 PM
I wonder if that is what the Matchbox needs. The original nylon bushing died and I was shocked that the dealership still had them since they were used on more than our 30 year old cars....popped in the new one then popped on the drivers side arm. Whenever I turn it on high it pops out again...not a problem on low speed...so I'm thinking it might just need some sort of lube. Am I correct?

chromguy
06-08-2015, 11:47 PM
If it pops out on high, I would not lube it as the lube will reduce the friction and it will pop out even easier. I am unsure the construction on the bushings on the end of your arm as I did not disassemble mine. Sounds like perhaps the ball on the end of the arm is not full engaged into the socket. But that is only a guess.

86Shelby
06-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Mopar used the same bushings for years. Heck, my dealership had a large box of them right by the counter and simply asked how many I wanted. IIRC I had to coerce the new bushings on with a pair of pliers so they wouldn't keep popping off.