PDA

View Full Version : L-body vs. G-body suspension

Anonymous_User
09-29-2006, 10:53 AM
OK, I know L-body axles are shorter - by how much?

What parts are different to compensate? Is the K-member narrower? Are the control arms shorter?

cordes
09-29-2006, 12:00 PM
The K frame is narrower, as are the axles. The A arms are the same though. I dno't know of any way that you can run the longer axles in the L bodys though.

Anonymous_User
09-29-2006, 12:34 PM
I dno't know of any way that you can run the longer axles in the L bodys though.

Not exactly what I am thinking :eyebrows:

So... the k-member is narrower. How can you put '89 CS suspension components on an L-body (dual pivot a-arms and big brakes)? Is there an L-body K-member that will accept this stuff?

turbovanmanČ
09-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Not exactly what I am thinking :eyebrows:

So... the k-member is narrower. How can you put '89 CS suspension components on an L-body (dual pivot a-arms and big brakes)? Is there an L-body K-member that will accept this stuff?

Yes, you can run the car/van control arms. People use the Mini CA's as there braced. You can use the brakes but you have to machine the knuckle that fits into the strut as the strut is different on an L body.

Anonymous_User
09-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Ok, I don't quite follow. In order to put the '89 A-arms on my '86 G-body, I had to use the '89 K-member due to the way the a-arms mount to the k-member.

How would you attach those a-arms to an L-body K-member?

Machining the knuckle - is the O.D. of an L-body strut (where it attaches to the knuckle) larger than that of the others?

turbovanmanČ
09-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Ok, I don't quite follow. In order to put the '89 A-arms on my '86 G-body, I had to use the '89 K-member due to the way the a-arms mount to the k-member.

How would you attach those a-arms to an L-body K-member?

Machining the knuckle - is the O.D. of an L-body strut (where it attaches to the knuckle) larger than that of the others?

You use any regular stamped control arm, NOT the dual hinge setup in 89.

NOTE-I could be slightly off on this part but I know some modification needs done- hopefully someone else can chime in. The knuckle slides into the the strut then two bolts tighten it up. On the L body strut, the gap is smaller so you need to machine the knuckle thinner at that point.

SwiftTech
09-29-2006, 03:40 PM
but he wants to use the dual pivot arms. A competent fabricator could probably narrow the g body k frame to fit the L body, but it would take a bit of work.

altered7151
09-29-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm pretty sure there was somebody on one of the boards that sectioned a piece out of the middle of a g-body k-frame to get it to work on an l-body. I also seem to remember them saying it really wasn't worth all the trouble, but hey if you have the time and the resources I say go for it. Actually, if you are going to go through all that trouble, why not custom fab a tubular k-frame with the mounts for the dual pivot a-arms. It would probably be stronger and lighter, plus look bitchin :thumb:

WVRampage
09-29-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm pretty sure there was somebody on one of the boards that sectioned a piece out of the middle of a g-body k-frame to get it to work on an l-body. I also seem to remember them saying it really wasn't worth all the trouble, but hey if you have the time and the resources I say go for it. Actually, if you are going to go through all that trouble, why not custom fab a tubular k-frame with the mounts for the dual pivot a-arms. It would probably be stronger and lighter, plus look bitchin :thumb:
Now that sounds like something that would be cool,I would take a bit of work and time,but wow would it be light weight.

cordes
09-29-2006, 11:18 PM

I know of one person who has done that. It did seem like it was a bit of work. I don't really know that it would make that big of a difference for the investment though.

Anonymous_User
09-30-2006, 01:41 AM
Next question, how much shorter are the L-body axles than the other car axles?

turbovanmanČ
09-30-2006, 01:43 AM
Next question, how much shorter are the L-body axles than the other car axles?

Around an inch for the cars, 2 inches for vans. Give a take 1/2 inch or so.