PDA

View Full Version : Engine: Round tooth crank gear.

thedon809
03-31-2015, 12:38 PM
Looking for a common block round tooth crank gear. Mine cracked when I tried removing it.

Vigo
03-31-2015, 05:17 PM
Iirc there are 557 and 690 gears and they have the keyway/teeth relationship 4 degrees off from each other, so make sure you get the same one you already had unless you want to experiment.

thedon809
03-31-2015, 06:16 PM
I was not aware of that. Mine was off a 90 2.5l TBI. I will have to take a look at it. All I know is it felt like it was welded onto the crank.

shackwrrr
03-31-2015, 08:03 PM
Iirc there are 557 and 690 gears and they have the keyway/teeth relationship 4 degrees off from each other, so make sure you get the same one you already had unless you want to experiment.

That is the cam gears I thought, the crank gears should all be the same.

Vigo
03-31-2015, 08:39 PM
Whoops, right you are. I was wondering how anyone managed to crack a cam gear. I should have stopped right there! :p

thedon809
03-31-2015, 08:48 PM
Lol. I was all looking at my crank gear and couldn't find any numbers haha.

GLHS60
03-31-2015, 11:59 PM
You had me scratching my head too!!!

Thanks
Randy

Whoops, right you are. I was wondering how anyone managed to crack a cam gear. I should have stopped right there! :p

4 l-bodies
04-01-2015, 01:31 AM
Looking for a common block round tooth crank gear. Mine cracked when I tried removing it.
Don the only time I ever seen a crank gear break while removing it is if you were using the puller wrong. Like @ SDAC last year at Jackson's all night garage. I don't even think alcohol was involved (lol). Not trying to be a wise a$$, just sort of tough to break something this stout. Just make sure no one sells you a 88 TD crank sprocket. It's a rare bird, but that one isn't gonna work for you. The left one in picture below is probably what you are looking for. LMK if you can't find one, I could pull one off at salvage yard in the next day or two.
Todd

thedon809
04-01-2015, 10:06 AM
I know for a fact I had the wrong puller. It was just a basic steering wheel puller but it seems the holes on the gear are not exactly across from each other.

Vigo
04-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Well the common blocks are all 5-bolt and a steering wheel puller doesn't work on them (or at least most of them dont) because it doesn't really line up. The only 'easy' way to take them off is with a tool made just for it. There's probably a way to take them off with a slide hammer but i dont own one yet.

One way to make a tool is to cut an extra gear in half (you want the half that is not threaded for the crank pulley bolts) and then weld a big nut to the center. I have one that Strax22 made. It's been used by at least 3 people here in my area.

I broke a gear once, but i broke it putting it on because i didn't realize that the crank key had slid back and formed a ramp, so when i drove the gear on it split it in half. I think i was 16-17, havent broken one since. But i sure can misread a forum post!

4 l-bodies
04-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Don,
Here is a picture of one I made. Took less than an hour to make. It isn't pretty but it works great. The center bolt is from OTC puller for another application. Five bolts are from a Toyota V-6 intake manifold. The steering wheel puller isn't going to work well on the 5 bolt pulleys. I guess you have found that out.
Todd

turbovanmanČ
04-07-2015, 06:16 PM
I have one ready to go if your still looking, PM me and I can get it out tomorrow or Thursday.