PDA

View Full Version : Two piece intake manifold will not separate

87blueshelbyz
03-29-2015, 11:01 AM
I have all 8 of the bolts removed and I am trying to separate the top and bottom pieces to replace the original gasket. The manifold is removed from the head. I have tried hitting it as hard as i can with a rubber hammer and I am unable to separate the two pieces. What else can I do to try to get this apart with out damaging it?

BadAssPerformance
03-29-2015, 11:05 AM
They usually stick very well... try a razor blade knife around the gasket perimeter, be very careful to not cut aluminum or yourself

tryingbe
03-29-2015, 11:08 AM
Brass hammer.

cordes
03-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Brass hammer.

I've used a non-maring dead blow hammer with great success in the past. Some of them take a bit more persuasion than others.

BadAssPerformance
03-29-2015, 11:31 AM
Is there a leak? Most I've seen stuck that well didn't need a gasket

buuuut its probably good to check anyways and how bad the core shift is in the runners LOL

87blueshelbyz
03-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Thank you for all of your help. After posting this I got it apart with my rubber hammer.

87blueshelbyz
03-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Is there a leak? Most I've seen stuck that well didn't need a gasket

buuuut its probably good to check anyways and how bad the core shift is in the runners LOL

There was no leaks that I was aware of. Cylinder cylinder mumber four had a dropped valve guide and beat up my cam. I thought that it would be a good thing to replace the plenum gasket while it was apart. I am sending the turbo out to have it rebuilt and I am probably going to drop the oil pan to look at the rod bearings and the pistons.

4 l-bodies
04-01-2015, 10:25 PM
Okay now that you have it apart, be very aware that the white gasket that glued it together so well has be made with asbestos. Nasty stuff for your lungs. I wouldn't sand it off as that's when fibre becomes airborne and potentially dangerous. Scrape it off CAREFULLY with a very sharp knife, wood chisel, putty knife, razor blade, etc.. I usually manage to cut myself in the process, but my lungs thank me.
As JT said check the core shift on the two halves. # 4 is never good, and is always the worst of them all.
Todd

87blueshelbyz
04-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Okay now that you have it apart, be very aware that the white gasket that glued it together so well has be made with asbestos. Nasty stuff for your lungs. I wouldn't sand it off as that's when fibre becomes airborne and potentially dangerous. Scrape it off CAREFULLY with a very sharp knife, wood chisel, putty knife, razor blade, etc.. I usually manage to cut myself in the process, but my lungs thank me.
As JT said check the core shift on the two halves. # 4 is never good, and is always the worst of them all.
Todd

I did not know that the gasket was made with asbestos. The gasket was so hard and brittle that I had to remove it with a razor blade. I was lucky that I did not cut myself.

How can i go about to correct the core shift problems in the manifold? Would gasket matching or port matching the intake ports take care of the problem?