PDA

View Full Version : bouncy steering wheel in turns

going4speed
03-25-2015, 05:13 PM
lancer has a strange issue. The steering wheel seems to bounce in long sweeping turns. Like something is loose.
The car has new tie rods, sway bar bushings, a-arm bushings, new wheels, new tires, fresh alignment.

It did the exact same thing before all the changes.

Ondonti
03-25-2015, 09:41 PM
Sounds like a Early 90's Ford :(

Vigo
03-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Do you have to be going over bumps or uneven pavement or does it do it on perfectly flat pavement?

going4speed
03-25-2015, 11:19 PM
smooth pavement. I know it's not bump steer but feels like.

Force Fed Mopar
03-26-2015, 11:03 AM
Bad rack probably. Or loose rack mounting bolts.

Reaper1
03-26-2015, 02:34 PM
I would look at the rack and the pump. Are the bolts to the K-frame tight? I'd get a torque wrench or breaker bar on them and just make sure.

going4speed
03-26-2015, 04:47 PM
bolts on the k frame are tight. torque wrench verified. the only thing left is the inner tie rods. The motor is coming out during the summer and the rack and pump are going to a local rebuilder at that time regardless being the access is so easy.

by bolts to the k frame do you mean to the car or to the rack?

Reaper1
03-27-2015, 11:59 AM
I meant the car as the rack was already suggested.

I was thinking about this last night and have you checked the drivetrain alignment? Inner CV's? Those can also cause wobbles at different steering angles, but not straight.

going4speed
03-27-2015, 04:20 PM
It's inconsistent which makes me think it is not the cv's as I would expect those to be more of a consistent vibration/bounce.

I'll need to dig in the manual to see about drivetrain alignment..that has not been checked.

Reaper1
03-27-2015, 05:32 PM
While you are in your steady state turn, will the wobble come and go with throttle or is it totally independent of all other inputs?

going4speed
03-27-2015, 07:30 PM
completely independent of all inputs...coasting, throttle, different gears...etc

Reaper1
03-27-2015, 07:35 PM
Here's a trivial one...lug nuts tight all the way around the car?

We also keep focusing on the front, but vibrations are strange and can originate someplace else. What about the rear suspension stuff? Wheel bearings, etc.?

BIGBRUDDA
03-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Wheel bearings/hubs

OmniLuvr
03-30-2015, 02:02 AM
Sounds like a Early 90's Ford

i think your onto something, the problem is the torsion rod inside the rack that controls hydraulic assist. when the rod gets weaker with age, the rod will twist easier with torsional input giving to much assist at first, then less, then more. this will give a very inconsistent feel in the steering wheel through long sweeping turns, but at a slightly consistent pulse. feel kind of like assist, less assist, assist, less assist, at like 1 second intervals. you wont notice it much on small quick turns because you usually dont have the steering wheel in the same position for long.

thats my guess

shadow88
03-30-2015, 06:53 AM
Possible power steering belt slipping, or chunk missing out of it that doesn't drive the pump properly as it goes by?

going4speed
03-30-2015, 10:31 AM
No kidding. Learn something new everyday! I plan on getting this rack rebuilt but it wont be till the fall.

I'm hoping this issue and the inner tie rods fixes this.

i think your onto something, the problem is the torsion rod inside the rack that controls hydraulic assist. when the rod gets weaker with age, the rod will twist easier with torsional input giving to much assist at first, then less, then more. this will give a very inconsistent feel in the steering wheel through long sweeping turns, but at a slightly consistent pulse. feel kind of like assist, less assist, assist, less assist, at like 1 second intervals. you wont notice it much on small quick turns because you usually dont have the steering wheel in the same position for long.

thats my guess