PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Front Caliper Sticking

jefo
03-20-2015, 01:57 AM
Hey Guys,

For a while I have had the issue of the drivers front brake caliper sticking slightly. It has worn the drivers pads considerably more than the passengers. I replaced the caliper and rubber line with no success. 89 Plymouth Voyager Turbo

Out of curiosity, as I was changing out my drivers front tire, I pushed the piston back into the caliper. I went in the car (it was off), and the pedal would only go half way to the floor as I clycled it to squeeze the pads back together. The piston eventually clamped the pads to the disc, but due to the limited stroke it took quite a few cycles. When I was changing the passenger front tire, I did the same thing, but the pedal went to the floor as I cycled it, pushing the pads together and firming up the pedal within a few cycles.

Any idea what is going on here?

83scamp
03-20-2015, 12:10 PM
What shape are your caliper guide pins in? If they hang up, it could cause it not to seat correctly.

Also check the caliper mount, especially where the brake pads ride. Have the pads cut grooves in the mounting bracket? They could be hanging up there as well...

supercrackerbox
03-20-2015, 05:25 PM
'89 Voyager should have had the single-pin Kelsey Hayes calipers, which are notorious for the above problems. Which is why I'll never use those for an "upgrade" again.

ajakeski
03-20-2015, 09:11 PM
Your rubber brake hose is probably pinched at the point where the steel bracket holds it to the strut.

The bracket crimps around the hose and over time rust grows between the bracket an hose. The rust chokes off the hose.

Try prying open the bracket and see if the caliper frees up.

Then change both hoses.

ATaylorRacing
03-21-2015, 10:43 PM
Your rubber brake hose is probably pinched at the point where the steel bracket holds it to the strut.

The bracket crimps around the hose and over time rust grows between the bracket an hose. The rust chokes off the hose.

Try prying open the bracket and see if the caliper frees up.

Then change both hoses.

I had this problem with my 95 Neon while driving to Orlando about 6 years ago...ended up being collapsed brake lines.