PDA

View Full Version : Almost done

turbo2point2
09-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Well after a few months of rest, the car is almost back together. I started with the rear axle. I wanted a coil over setup and also wanted to add some wheelbase to the car. After some designing I came up with a much lighter configuration than the stocker, with coil overs and 3 inches added to the wheelbase :D I then resumed taking weight out elsewhere in the car, lexan windshield, lightweight column, etc.

I also wanted to tie the front of the car in with the cage so I added some tubing through the firewall as well. I fabbed up a strut tower bar, threw in some camber plates and lowered the thing 2 inches in the front. All in all it went pretty well, I just need to tie up a few loose ends, but I may be racing as soon as this weekend :thumb:

I am putting a few pics up here, see what think. Thanks for looking!!

mcsvt
09-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Looking great :thumb:

Coming out to e-town maybe? :)
I would love to see that car :nod:

BadAssPerformance
09-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Looks good! Looks light, didja weight it yet?

turboking
09-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Looking "good" Brian

GLHS592
09-27-2006, 10:55 PM
I was thinking about building an altered wheelbase car, but not like that. :)

Clay
09-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Sweet!! yeah, how much does it weigh, and what size are the slicks?

turbo2point2
09-28-2006, 05:42 AM
"Coming out to e-town maybe? "

I am having the alignment done on Sat. so there is a possibility that it may be at Englishtown on Sunday.

I weighed the car earlier this year but not since. It was 2380 with driver. The slicks are 26x10.5x15 MT.

BadAssPerformance
09-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Damn thats light and it is lighter now !? :eek:

DodgeZ
09-28-2006, 08:46 AM
here you go

Pat
09-28-2006, 01:05 PM
That's looking good Brian. Great work!

MiniMopar
09-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Nice. Sure looks mean from the front. Where have I seen those rims on a red Shadow before....

Rattlesnake
09-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Superb piece of work:thumb:

Captain Chaos
09-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Rear suspensions pics needed.

Turbodave
09-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Looks awesome, I love the altered wheelbase idea.

turbo2point2
09-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I do need to get a few shots of the rear axle. I will get a few and load them up.

shadow88
09-28-2006, 08:11 PM
That's looking great. What do you expect for short times with the longer wheelbase?

BadAssPerformance
09-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Nice. Sure looks mean from the front. Where have I seen those rims on a red Shadow before....

LOL...

turbo2point2
09-29-2006, 06:18 AM
"What do you expect for short times with the longer wheelbase?"

With all of the changes I would LIKE to see the 60's drop another .15, of course this is with my fingers crossed. I do have a few other things to try after my next trip to the track, such as a gear ratio change. I am trying to get the most out of the chassis now, before I upgrade...

Captain Chaos
09-29-2006, 08:30 AM
JT, are those centerline auto drags on the rear of the Shadow? If so did you have to get the hubs and drums redrilled?

Sorry for the hijack. But I saw a Shadow vert in National Dragster with Convo Pros on it and now I'm curious.

BadAssPerformance
09-29-2006, 01:46 PM
JT, are those centerline auto drags on the rear of the Shadow? If so did you have to get the hubs and drums redrilled?

Sorry for the hijack. But I saw a Shadow vert in National Dragster with Convo Pros on it and now I'm curious.

Autodrag 5 on 4" circle... backspacing is too shallow tho they sliced up the tires on the shadow not on the z tho.

BadFastGTC
10-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Brian,

The work and engineering you performed on the axle looks tremendous, as do the rest of the changes. Now that everything is "pointing in the right direction", I'll be looking forward to seeing the BSX make a few passes once again.

Steve M.

Pat
10-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Did you get to make any passes at E-town? How'd it go?

WVRampage
10-04-2006, 03:03 PM
That looks great,I cant wait to hear some numbers on how much beter it runs.

turbo2point2
10-05-2006, 06:17 AM
"Did you get to make any passes at E-town? How'd it go?"

E-town was going to be very hard to make a pass. When I read that Sat. qualifying was delayed, I knew there wasn't much hope in getting any kind of runs in. So, I did go on Sunday but only to watch.

At least one of the Slowe's went fast... My cousin Mike went 7.37 @ 202 on a bike he has been on before.

BTW, rear axle pics loading today.

turbo2point2
10-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Ok, here is a few shots of the axle. They aren't the best quality, but you can see pretty much how it looks. Here ya go...

Directconnection
10-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Was it a bit nerve-racking when you 1st started cutting off the old frame on your pride and joy?

Tell me about your brother's bike. I take it must be a turboed in-line 4? Hyabussa?

8valves
10-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Wow, that's pretty crafty. Does the car retain the stock wheel bearing/hub assembly out there? I like that a lot, and I'm sure it dropped a lot of weight out of the rear!

AM

turbo2point2
10-06-2006, 06:21 AM
"Was it a bit nerve-racking when you 1st started cutting off the old frame on your pride and joy?"

Not at all, I had almost all angles covered once I started to remove the old one. Of course nothing goes perfect 100% of the time, I did learn a bunch while building it.

"Tell me about your brother's bike. I take it must be a turboed in-line 4? Hyabussa?"

Actually it is my cousin, and yes it is a turboed 4 Busa. Although it was not his bike, he was just racing it for a guy to get it tuned in. It was not setup to run the class he raced in (62"wb in a 64" class) he did whoop some butt with it, 1st pass of the trailer he ripped off a 200 mph pass, and set low e.t. and mph for the day. He is currently racing for a company in Florida called Velocity Racing.

turbo2point2
10-06-2006, 06:27 AM
"Wow, that's pretty crafty. Does the car retain the stock wheel bearing/hub assembly out there? I like that a lot, and I'm sure it dropped a lot of weight out of the rear!"

Thanks, it does retain the stock bearing/hub assy. One of the main reasons for making it was weight reduction, the stock axle without brakes, hubs, lines, etc. weighed in at 46lbs. The new axle weighed 17lbs before putting the brakes back on. Nice weight reduction and longer to boot :thumb:

Frank
10-06-2006, 09:35 AM
What coil over setup is that? I was going to do something similar in the rear of my shadow but on the inside of the frame rail since I have more of a road race setup and need wide tires all around.

Frank

turbo2point2
10-07-2006, 03:05 PM
"What coil over setup is that? "

They are QA1 coil single adjustable coil overs with eibach 400# springs. The double adjustable units would have been nice but they were a little too out of the budget I put on it. Maybe in the future I will switch I do think there would be a nice benefit from a double adj. unit.

Directconnection
10-07-2006, 03:15 PM
When will it be making some runs again?

turbo2point2
10-08-2006, 10:23 AM
"When will it be making some runs again?"

If the weather is good, I will be at E-town on the 14th for the mopar/mitsu day. I was trying to get it out this weekend but the rain kept me from going. So I have my finger crossed for good weather.

GLHSKEN
10-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Nice job Brian.

Will be interesting to see how the wheelbase affects the 60's

Reeves
10-08-2006, 03:59 PM
WOW!!! I love it! All the work looks GREAT!

What material did you use on the rear axle?

turbo2point2
10-08-2006, 08:30 PM
"WOW!!! I love it! All the work looks GREAT!

What material did you use on the rear axle?"

Thanks! I used 1-5/8"x.095 chrome moly tubing for the axle and 1-1/4"x.095 for the lateral bars with heim joints to connect to the stock axle brackets.

"Will be interesting to see how the wheelbase affects the 60's"

I am very interested as well. A member here has tried this in the past with good results, I took it a bit further with the extension to try and get all I can. Any improvement will be gladly accepted, as it is a bunch of small gains to equal one larger goal.

ohiorob
10-08-2006, 08:32 PM
can't wait to see it in person :thumb:

cj011
10-10-2006, 04:46 PM
what type of welder did you use for rear axle? Brian, what did you use as a guide for the cage and tying in the front end?

Brian, I'm Chris the guy from hawaii that bought your motor :)

turbo2point2
10-11-2006, 06:06 PM
"what type of welder did you use for rear axle? Brian, what did you use as a guide for the cage and tying in the front end?"

All joints on the axle were tig welded. As far as a guide, nothing more than the usual tools, levels, squares and the good ole eye job. Can't wait for Saturday!!

cj011
10-11-2006, 11:28 PM
how about the cage? was that mig? You better pull a high 9.

Xtrempickup
10-12-2006, 12:20 PM
i hope to see the car at E-town and meet you too Brian. i should be there with my Red Iroc R/T, i doubt there will be many irocs, maybe some spirits

turbo2point2
10-13-2006, 06:12 AM
"i hope to see the car at E-town and meet you too Brian. i should be there with my Red Iroc R/T, i doubt there will be many irocs, maybe some spirits"

I will be there, come over and say hi. Should be fun!

guyd_15
10-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Wow over 1,000 views!!!

You deserve it, Brian.

Guy

Reaper1
01-07-2007, 04:20 PM
I was looking at the pictures of the rear axle a bit closer and noticed a few things I have quesitons about.

#1 I noticed that the brake lines toward the front of the axle look like they go to the stock bracket on both sides. The brackets seem to be tied together by a bar going across the car. Now I realize that this car is meant for straight line only, but it would seem to me that this would cause the rear end to be too stiff torsionally and could cause some erratic behavior from the rear end.

#2 I niticed there aren't any spacers between the heim joints and the brackets on the lower mounts of the shocks. Is there a worry that the shocks could moved around on the bolt and bind up? Or am I just over thinking this?

#3 Lastly, I'd like to see some more pictures of the finished engine bay.

Directconnection
01-07-2007, 05:36 PM
I was looking at the pictures of the rear axle a bit closer and noticed a few things I have quesitons about.

#1 I noticed that the brake lines toward the front of the axle look like they go to the stock bracket on both sides. The brackets seem to be tied together by a bar going across the car. Now I realize that this car is meant for straight line only, but it would seem to me that this would cause the rear end to be too stiff torsionally and could cause some erratic behavior from the rear end.

#2 I niticed there aren't any spacers between the heim joints and the brackets on the lower mounts of the shocks. Is there a worry that the shocks could moved around on the bolt and bind up? Or am I just over thinking this?

#3 Lastly, I'd like to see some more pictures of the finished engine bay.

No need to worry as it already ran 9.8s at what I seem to recall was 139mph w/out hearing any complaints.:)

Reaper1
01-08-2007, 01:55 AM
I understand it's fast, I'm just interested in the design and how/why it works. Beleive me, I'm not questioning the talent or the engineering. I'm just curious! :)

turbo2point2
01-08-2007, 07:28 AM
The lines do attach to the stock bracket on the parallel bars but there is no connection between the two at the front. It may look that way because I have a bar that runs from one side to the other and attaches to the cage. It probably just appears to be connected in the picture.

I what picture did you see no spacers? There may have been a shot during fabrication where there was no spacer, but as of right now, all things are golden:thumb:

I don't have any finished pictures of the engine bay with everything back together. And since it is torn back apart for more upgrades, I cant currently get anymore. I can see what I have and will post it up.

Reaper1
01-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Post #25. In the close up shotof the LR shock there are no spacers, that's where ym question was stemmed from.

That front lateral bar is confusing, at least just by that angle. Oh well...

Can't wait to see what you some up with next! That car is a work of art! :thumb:

Dave
02-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Any plans for nitrous?? Maybe some low 9's then? ;);)

t3rse
02-18-2007, 02:25 PM
when you're that good you don't need to cheat :thumb:

Dez
03-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Nice work!!

I like it alot, pictures of the engine bay would be cool :)

snoman
01-01-2009, 02:23 AM
master. learn us in the ways of going fast AND looking good doing it.

Thats just sweet. I have been wanting a one peice for years but the cost was preventative.
Hope you don't mind if I bite your style with me z. (or at least try)

any other pics you can post are hugely motivational!

turbo2point2
01-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Thats just sweet. I have been wanting a one peice for years but the cost was preventative.
Hope you don't mind if I bite your style with me z. (or at least try)

any other pics you can post are hugely motivational!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23007

Thanks for the compliment, page 2 has some of the front end pics. Feel free to copy anything from my car. I will throw a few more pics on that thread, what pics would you want to see? Wow this is an old thread:thumb: