PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas and Mopars At The Strip March 27-29 2015 Anyone else in?

2.216VTurbo
02-25-2015, 06:41 PM
Always a good time with decent weather most years. Autocross that was free the first couple years now costs $75. but it's a better run event now too. So whos got something running they can have some fun going strait AND/OR Auto crossing? I took the Rampage RT last year so I think the 86S is up this year:eyebrows: Vegas Baby!:partywoot:

shelbysngolf
02-25-2015, 10:01 PM
Im in! The k-car is being brought back from the dead lol

bakes
02-25-2015, 10:24 PM
So far it look like Steven Pavach and I are in and we now looking for a trailer to put the General Lee on . And it look like i like we will have my 3500 ram as tow vehicle maybe someone can twist my arm to autocross it

bakes
02-26-2015, 01:34 AM
got us a trailer yeha

ForzaV12
02-26-2015, 07:54 PM
I'm in, no Cannery this year-what a dump! Staying at the Alliante. No idea what I'm bringing though-VP Challenger, 69 Cop Car, Hard Life Hemi Coronet, GLHS, 69 440 Magnum Monaco or Aeries wagon!

bakes
02-28-2015, 12:15 AM
looks like im for out now 2 of the guys going wih us had to pull out do to work so now it too much $ for us to make the 2 day drive there and back

HSKR
02-28-2015, 01:49 AM
I'll be in vegas the week leading up to it, but won't be there that weekend.

iTurbo
03-01-2015, 03:52 PM
Thinking about going but not very likely. I'd have to take the Caliber SRT, which is nice but I really want to take something more old-school but I have nothing ready at the moment. It looks like I won't be able to attend SDAC 25 either.

2.216VTurbo
03-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Thinking about going but not very likely. I'd have to take the Caliber SRT, which is nice but I really want to take something more old-school but I have nothing ready at the moment. It looks like I won't be able to attend SDAC 25 either.

Grab a flight and we'll just hang out. You can wrench on whatever I bring that breaks down... Be good for you to get away.

2.216VTurbo
03-07-2015, 10:43 PM
So since I've been doing some upgrades to Woody and it will have the posi/Lockup 413, why not take it to MATS?:nod: Should be fun around the autocross and if by some miracle it dips into the 14's, People will be impressed:thumb:

BadAssPerformance
03-08-2015, 10:44 AM
^^^ Bring it! True story, spectators do get impressed when a 14 second minivan beats a 14 second big block car! :)

I really, really, really, want to make it this year, but the week before and after are going to be too busy at work to get away :(

mock_glh
03-16-2015, 12:41 PM
At this point I have to say maybe. The Omni has some issues I'm trying to solve, don't want to take them to Vegas with me.

2.216VTurbo
03-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Getting the parts ready...

4 l-bodies
03-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Thought you were bringing the Omni, or is Woody the tow/support vehicle?
Todd

fleckster
03-21-2015, 11:06 AM
I wish I could make it but I was in Las Vegas last week! Missed it by two weeks! :banghead:

2.216VTurbo
03-21-2015, 06:18 PM
Thought you were bringing the Omni, or is Woody the tow/support vehicle?
Todd

Omni ran into a few snags, Ive been wanting to put a whole slew of upgrade parts on Woody that I've had for waaaay to long anyway. planets are aligned-I think:o

Fleck, I was in Las Vegas last week too, still going back:thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
03-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Few too many firing events on that intake :)

fleckster
03-21-2015, 08:59 PM
I wish I would have known you were there. I tagged along with my wife while she was there for a pediatric nurse practitioner conference so I had time to myself during the day. We could have met up!

Of course you can go back Alan. It's a much shorter trip for you! LOL

Turbo224
03-23-2015, 12:08 AM
I'll be there again this year, not planning on bringing anything though. The cuda stills needs exhaust and a windshield, and the R/T is going on its fourth year of hibernation. Sigh. Maybe next year...

2.216VTurbo
03-23-2015, 12:37 PM
I'll be there again this year, not planning on bringing anything though. The cuda stills needs exhaust and a windshield, and the R/T is going on its fourth year of hibernation. Sigh. Maybe next year...

Rent a Mustang to drive down in and race the Pony Car Wars class. If Woody isn't ready I'll be trying to get a 12.XX slip in my Explorer Sport in that class...

HSKR
03-23-2015, 12:42 PM
I'm here till Wednesday. Not going to be able to stay till this weekend.

mock_glh
03-26-2015, 10:47 AM
Not going to make it this year. Son got married this month and my budget was "compromised". Beside that, the car has only been running good for about a week and hasn't been locally track tested. I'll miss being there. :(

2.216VTurbo
03-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Not going to make it this year. Son got married this month and my budget was "compromised". Beside that, the car has only been running good for about a week and hasn't been locally track tested. I'll miss being there. :(

But youre an INSTITUTION at MATS! Not gonna be the same without you. Woody has only been running since 10 last night, still chasing cam and ignition timing (no TC nothch :mad:) but we're going anyway:D And Money, well is there ever *enough* of that:lol:

iTurbo
03-26-2015, 10:52 PM
I really wish I could make it but getting time off has been pretty difficult lately. Plus the white Spirit R/T and Shelby Lancer really need to get moving under their own power sometime this year. I told my boss I might just take my two weeks vacation and build *my* stuff in the shop.

fishcleaner
03-26-2015, 11:03 PM
Get some good photos for us East Coasters and have fun.

BadAssPerformance
03-27-2015, 12:07 AM
Good luck everyone going!

Maybe an article and pics for Up Front Alan? ;)

mock_glh
03-27-2015, 11:04 AM
But youre an INSTITUTION at MATS! Not gonna be the same without you. Woody has only been running since 10 last night, still chasing cam and ignition timing (no TC nothch :mad:) but we're going anyway:D And Money, well is there ever *enough* of that:lol:

I know, Alan, but that house payment has to happen even if nothing else does. Btw, I took the Omni to Irwindale last night and confirmed that I'm not ready.
Anyway, I'll let you carry the torch this year. Show us how it's done! :D

Rrider
03-27-2015, 02:09 PM
In for weekend update. Good luck all!

2.216VTurbo
03-28-2015, 09:53 AM
Smallish turnout in Sport Compact so far on TNT day, today will be bigger. Woody runs about like you'd expect a car that still had the motor/trans on the shop floor 36 hours ago;) New BB 20% cal runs waaaaay better than trying to play with fule pressure etc on stock cal, thanks to Rrider for making that happen. I'd be running something else or spectating if he hadn't delivered it to me 4 hours before loading onto the trailer. Thanks Man:clap:

So still sorting cam timing because adjustable gears never seem to be right without degreeing(no, didn't have time and didn't bring tools to do it here) and ignition timing, I have no idea where I'm at, not only did I get the I shaft a tooth off in my haste but there's no reference mark on the new torque convertor. I just kind of keep adding till it pinged (nice to have the flash CHECK ENGINE feature on the BB cal) then backed it off a little. Add to that that I spaced on ordering a wideband 02 until 10 days before the event and the ebay seller was not the fastest shipper so I don't have one and reading plugs is really old school but about all I have to go on for setting fuel pressure. I think were pretty close there, after 3-4 dismal passes everything came together yesterday afternoon with a 2.017 60' and a 15.15 ET @ 86MPH. 14's today or bust! Gotta get to track now...

Ondonti
03-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Going to add anymore boost or just try harder? I know the turbo vans I watched in Utah were all over the place on times based on how well brake boosting at the line went.

1BADVAN
03-28-2015, 04:30 PM
pretty good for the first time out with the motor Alan. My times were usually based on traction as Ondonti said the launch makes a huge difference, the best i ever got was a 2.0xx 60' so you are already getting there. What boost/ turbo you running? any other TMs running well?

BadAssPerformance
03-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Nice shakedown runs Alan! 14's here you come!

2.216VTurbo
03-28-2015, 10:47 PM
Well, no 14's this trip. chasing code 13 alllllll day. We checked everything, made sure no leaks in Vac line, then to be sure we did away with the factory Vac source that also runs to the FPR and ran a dedicated line to the intake manifold that ONLY went to the MAP sensor. So after being frustrated by an intermittent 13 for about 4 hours, we started calling trying to find an 89 turbo Trans Am/Firebird unit. No way we were gonna find one right? Way! The GM dealer 15 iles away has one on the shelf!! The drive seem to take forever and I'm certain they're calling my class and I'm missing passes:( $183. Glad to pay it if it fixes my problem but wait, the number on the 1995 Delco box is correct, but the MAP sensor inside has a different number. Uh Oh. Not a supersede either, counter guy insists that the part number on the sensor DOES NOT exist in the GM part system, hell, he doesn't know what it is:mad: If I take a chance on it, it's non returnable, uh OK, thanks Chevy. So even tho he insists that 'he could get fired' he sell it to me at employee price, $117. done. On my way back to the track, but wait, there's a Pep Boys... GUy in there is super helpful, no he doesn't have it but he can have it in the am for $260. Uhhh.... He starts calling around, other stores, CARQUEST, Autozone, NAPA-Bingo, NAPA has it for $120. Head over there, made in China, low quality piece but it comes up 1989 3.8 Firebird with Turbo. OK then... Back to track, install, start Woody, CEL is out now:clap2: for 30 seconds. GAH!:mad:

Anyway an hour of frustration later, an TM experienced guy says, "you know, that vacuum source looks iffy" We're like no, we've already changed it. He's like yeah, OK but it looks iffy. So with nothing left to try or to lose, we change the vac feed to MAP again. Fixed. No CEL. Even after 30 seconds or 5 minutes. I've missed 5 passes total in 2 different classes. One more pass to the day left, it's 5:30 Launch hard feels good but a little soft, is it the 5 gals of 110 VP leaded I had to put in? I took 2 PSI outta the fuel pressure,,, 14PSI boost ( a whole 'Nuther issue, couldn't get it to go any higher) the 87 CSX guy from Utah (Jeremy I think?) goes motoring right around me even tho I treed him AND 60'd him(and he's on 26X8.5 slicks and I'm on 23.5X7.5's;)) He ran 14.0 and I ran a 15.20. Oh well, nothing broke and I had fun. In me heart I know Wooody will run a 14.XX on 91 Octane at 16PSI:amen: Just not this trip. On to random pics:nod:

My old SRT6 was there DOMINATION the Auto X course, guy has spent some greenbacks on it, painted it some Ferrari Grigio color, pulley, tune, suspension. Hate the color, still like the car!

Ondonti
03-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Nice to see the cargo van there.

I have no idea what you use that GM map sensor for.
At least you listened to the guy when you thought you were right.

BadAssPerformance
03-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Bummer on the issues man, but glad it got sorted out! Yeah, 15.20 on 110 octane on only 14psi... I'm guessing it does have a 14 in it on 91/16psi!

Thanks for the pics!

ForzaV12
03-29-2015, 12:06 PM
Yup, Alan and Milspec were hard at all week end and 14s are a sneeze away-especially with those 60 ft times!
We took the easy way out this year and drove the new ATS out there. Allegedly, it would cruise easily at 125 and returned over 30mpg for the trip! We'll bring a Mopar next year.
Tried to post some pics, but I see the site is having issues again.

mock_glh
03-30-2015, 03:23 PM
Did anyone stick around to see some final rounds?

Sgt Craig
03-30-2015, 04:17 PM
Yes my brown van is still faster than Alan's!Woohoo!

ForzaV12
03-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Yes my brown van is still faster than Alan's!Woohoo!

Yeah, but his Explorer tow vehicle is faster than your van. ;)

k03hemi
04-01-2015, 11:40 AM
The final round was a Fiat 500 against a Dart turbo. The Fiat was dialed in at 18.60 and the Dart was 16.57. The Dart ended up leaving early and giving the race to the Fiat.

ForzaV12
04-01-2015, 02:14 PM
What a weak final-compared to the years we had The Ugly Old Omni battling SRT4's for the win.

johnl
04-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Alan, your efforts are appreciated, as are your reports.

BadAssPerformance
04-01-2015, 08:40 PM
The final round was a Fiat 500 against a Dart turbo. The Fiat was dialed in at 18.60 and the Dart was 16.57. The Dart ended up leaving early and giving the race to the Fiat.

Red lit on a 16.57 dial...

What a weak final-compared to the years we had The Ugly Old Omni battling SRT4's for the win.

No doubt! Maybe next year we can promote the event more, I've always wanted to make it out!

ShelGame
04-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Well, no 14's this trip. chasing code 13 alllllll day. We checked everything, made sure no leaks in Vac line, then to be sure we did away with the factory Vac source that also runs to the FPR and ran a dedicated line to the intake manifold that ONLY went to the MAP sensor. So after being frustrated by an intermittent 13 for about 4 hours, we started calling trying to find an 89 turbo Trans Am/Firebird unit. No way we were gonna find one right? Way! The GM dealer 15 iles away has one on the shelf!! The drive seem to take forever and I'm certain they're calling my class and I'm missing passes:( $183. Glad to pay it if it fixes my problem but wait, the number on the 1995 Delco box is correct, but the MAP sensor inside has a different number. Uh Oh. Not a supersede either, counter guy insists that the part number on the sensor DOES NOT exist in the GM part system, hell, he doesn't know what it is:mad: If I take a chance on it, it's non returnable, uh OK, thanks Chevy. So even tho he insists that 'he could get fired' he sell it to me at employee price, $117. done. On my way back to the track, but wait, there's a Pep Boys... GUy in there is super helpful, no he doesn't have it but he can have it in the am for $260. Uhhh.... He starts calling around, other stores, CARQUEST, Autozone, NAPA-Bingo, NAPA has it for $120. Head over there, made in China, low quality piece but it comes up 1989 3.8 Firebird with Turbo. OK then... Back to track, install, start Woody, CEL is out now:clap2: for 30 seconds. GAH!:mad:

Anyway an hour of frustration later, an TM experienced guy says, "you know, that vacuum source looks iffy" We're like no, we've already changed it. He's like yeah, OK but it looks iffy. So with nothing left to try or to lose, we change the vac feed to MAP again. Fixed. No CEL. Even after 30 seconds or 5 minutes. I've missed 5 passes total in 2 different classes. One more pass to the day left, it's 5:30 Launch hard feels good but a little soft, is it the 5 gals of 110 VP leaded I had to put in? I took 2 PSI outta the fuel pressure,,, 14PSI boost ( a whole 'Nuther issue, couldn't get it to go any higher) the 87 CSX guy from Utah (Jeremy I think?) goes motoring right around me even tho I treed him AND 60'd him(and he's on 26X8.5 slicks and I'm on 23.5X7.5's;)) He ran 14.0 and I ran a 15.20. Oh well, nothing broke and I had fun. In me heart I know Wooody will run a 14.XX on 91 Octane at 16PSI:amen: Just not this trip. On to random pics:nod:

My old SRT6 was there DOMINATION the Auto X course, guy has spent some greenbacks on it, painted it some Ferrari Grigio color, pulley, tune, suspension. Hate the color, still like the car!

Hey Alan - Can you elaborate on what was done to the Mitsu turbo you're running in the van? I'm putting a 2.2 + Mitsu (because I have a ton of Mitsu's and parts laying around) in my GLH project. It won't need to abide by any rules since it's just a street toy. If you got a little bit more out the Mitsu, I'd be interested to know what was done...

Ondonti
04-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Hey Alan - Can you elaborate on what was done to the Mitsu turbo you're running in the van? I'm putting a 2.2 + Mitsu (because I have a ton of Mitsu's and parts laying around) in my GLH project. It won't need to abide by any rules since it's just a street toy. If you got a little bit more out the Mitsu, I'd be interested to know what was done...
Pretty sure he posted pictures of his turbine and swingvalve porting somewhere?

2.216VTurbo
04-10-2015, 04:30 PM
Just about every turbo I've run in the last 20 years has between 2 and 10 hours of hand cutting/porting done inside the housings. I really feel like I can improve the flow thru the exhaust side and the spool up with careful material removal. The Mitsu I just put on the Mini was about a 4 hour job. Pics of that work is in this thread.

As far as the wheel dimensions, I wish I had better info for you, I'm not a numbers geek so basically I gave it to my guy that's been upgrading turbos for me for 15 plus years, he's in San Bernadino about an hours drive away so he's local. I tell him how much more flow I want and he puts the wheels in there he has avail. This mitsu just had a larger compressor wheel of modern design compared to the old school '10 blade' design and an 8 degree clip on the turbine side to reduce backpressure. For $175. more he could have ordered a much better turbine wheel but it would have been a 2 week wait so I opted out. With an unlimited class it would sure seem to make sense to jump to a Garrett tho right?

2.216VTurbo
05-02-2015, 05:42 PM
My brother just gave me his camera that he was carrying MATS weekend, he took a couple good shots:eyebrows:

BadAssPerformance
05-07-2015, 01:17 AM
Sweet!