PDA

View Full Version : Everything you ever wanted to know about 84 Daytona 4 spoke steering wheels.

TopDollar69
01-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Since I had a hard time finding any information on the four spoke sport steering wheel found in 84 Daytona, I decided to buy some examples and post what I found. The main thing to understand id these wheels came in many models of Dodge and Chrysler vehicles besides the Daytona. I have seen them in Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Cordobas, and Daytonas. I have heard of others, but those are ones I can say for sure. The big difference between the truck and car models is the finish on the wheels. The truck wheels are not leather wrapped, but they do have a shiny version of the foam which usually develops lots of small cracks over time. They are also always black in color. The ones from passenger cars are color coded to the interior of the car they came out of. I have seen black, gray, dark brown, light tan , and red so far. They are also always leather wrapped. Under the leather the finish is more grainy than the truck wheels and it’s not nearly as shiny. One thing some people do seem to be aware of is the fact that the Daytona wheels have a flat spot in the splines for the steering column, both of the truck wheels that I have do not have a flat. So you can use a truck wheel in a car, but not a car wheel in a truck. About the only other thing I’ve noticed is the truck wheels have an extra spacer on the back to cover the gap between the wheel and steering column. The spacer snaps in place and can be used on car or truck wheels as they all have the extra holes for the spacer to snap into. I do have one tip for people searching for one of these wheels, make sure the wire is still attached to the bottom trim bezel if you want your horn to work, is crimped to the lower part and is supposed to detach from the horn spring on the front with a spade connector. I have included pictures of all the differences that I have found so far. Enjoy!

TopDollar69
01-07-2006, 03:56 PM
More pics

TopDollar69
01-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Also you can see in the picture of the wheel mounted in my Laser how the truck wheel finish cracks over time. Im going to use one of the wheels in the texture picture once I decide which one I like better.

banger68
01-07-2006, 05:44 PM
I have a grey one in my Doba. You have to look in 82 or 83 as the earlier cars got the "Tuff" wheel.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2132000-2132999/2132213_5_full.jpg

TopDollar69
01-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the extra info! I guess we can safely presume that the four spoke sport wheel was used from 82-84 then. I really like the way the silver spokes look.

banger68
01-07-2006, 08:35 PM
I guess we can safely presume that the four spoke sport wheel was used from 82-84 then.

I know I've seen the "Tuff" wheels in the older Ramchargers, so that seems logical that they all changed the same year.

GLHNSLHT2
01-08-2006, 12:30 AM
hehe my buddy's and i call the 4 spoker's "tuff" wheels too.

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 02:20 AM
Sharp lookin' wheel.:thumb:
I may have to track one of those down for the Sundance instead of going aftermarket.

banger68
01-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Sharp lookin' wheel.:thumb:
I may have to track one of those down for the Sundance instead of going aftermarket.

They are NOT easy to find. Found a few in burgundy but not in grey before. But most of the older cars are gone out of the wreckers up here.

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Shouldn't have too much trouble here. People around here drive cars until they completely fall apart then park them in the back yard.:p
Finding one in decent condition on the other hand...

Dodgeman921
01-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Here is the wheel I installed in my Shelby Z & the one that came on my 82 Mirada.

Jon

TopDollar69
01-23-2006, 01:59 PM
They really look different with the solid spokes.

BadAssPerformance
01-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Good pics and info... if only i could remember what i did with the one i had!

TopDollar69
01-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Especially considering what they bring on ebay, nice ones seem to consistently bring $130 to $150.

cordes
01-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Especially considering what they bring on ebay, nice ones seem to consistently bring $130 to $150.

Holy moly! (runs to JY)

Tony Hanna
01-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah, No joke!
I'll grab all of them I find if that's the case.

Turbo Joe
02-11-2006, 10:18 PM
diddo here i still have one and have thrown out some already, i do know where there is more so i'm a gonna get'em!!

GLHNSLHT2
02-11-2006, 10:53 PM
$130!?!? Jeezus I sold one last spring for $20 and I thought I made out like a bandit.

TopDollar69
02-12-2006, 12:00 AM
It seems the RAM truck guys are a little more willing to spend money.

fleckster
02-24-2006, 10:26 PM
I have a black one from an '84 Daytona and I also have a red one. I used the black one from the Daytona in my old '79 D100 and it worked fine, no problems whatsoever! I kept it when I sold the truck and plan on using it in my '78 Dodge Magnum XE.

Ondonti
02-24-2006, 11:35 PM
I would love to put one of those in my 92 drag duster.

How much less do they weigh then the big old airbag wheels.

B82Colwell
03-01-2006, 10:07 AM
are the horn buttons able to come apart? I have 2, one black and one silver and the silver still has the tabs on the back, but the front is really beat up, and the black looks almost new in the front, but the tabs in the back are almost all broke off.
Also, How does the "horn spring top" attach to the wheel? I scored mine on ebay about 2 years ago, and just got around to thinking of putting it on my car

TopDollar69
03-01-2006, 08:23 PM
The horn spring is held down by the nut that holds the wheel on the column. I havent had any luck getting the horn buttons apart, I did try on one, but I gave up, because it looked like I wouldnt be able to put it back together.

DC Turismo
03-08-2006, 02:19 AM
Here is the wheel I installed in my Shelby Z & the one that came on my 82 Mirada.

Jon

I had one just like that, but unfortunately sold it at Carlisle this past summer. I found it in a scrapyard and let it sit there for a year or so, then one day managed to get up there and pull it out. I had hoped to put it in the Turismo, but opted to install my CSX/SL 4-spoke wheel instead. :eyebrows:

Definitely neat wheels though, and I do hope to come across another one someday, even if it's that hideous red color! :yuck: :p

Lee'sdaytona
04-23-2006, 10:52 AM
One thing some people do seem to be aware of is the fact that the Daytona wheels have a flat spot in the splines for the steering column, both of the truck wheels that I have do not have a flat. So you can use a truck wheel in a car, but not a car wheel in a truck

Good info you provided accept this line. I picked up a 4-spoke wheel out of a Ramcharger with no flat spot and it DID NOT fit in my daytona because the actual splines are larger for the truck modles. Truck and car wheels are not interchangable whatsoever.

For all of you guys who don't like the red leather 4-spoke wheels (I assume you mean the burgendy color) than I will definately trade you a red leather one for my black leather one, as I have a burgendy interrior with a black wheel....I think the red ones are pretty rare
-Lee

banger68
04-24-2006, 01:15 PM
I have one that is burgandy in the center with a black rim. I wonder how many variations there are?

CletusJones
04-25-2006, 12:22 PM
So if I were to procure a wheel like that, how much modification would I need to do to use it in my 87 'Tona? I hate the wheel i have now, those are much nicer and very close to what I'd wanted to use anyway, especially that grey one.

Lee'sdaytona
04-25-2006, 07:48 PM
So if I were to procure a wheel like that, how much modification would I need to do to use it in my 87 'Tona? I hate the wheel i have now, those are much nicer and very close to what I'd wanted to use anyway, especially that grey one.
Well first of all, good luck finding a grey one, as they are very rare. They don't even show up on ebay too often. Maybe someone on here has one to sell though. OK there is NO modification you will need to do for your 87 daytona. Either its the wheel that fits, or its the wheel that doesn't fit. If the splines don't have a flat spot in it, then the wheel will NOT fit. So, If you pull a 4-spoke wheel out of a dodge truck, you can bet it won't fit. If you go for one on ebay, ask the seller to check for that flat spot.
good luck,
Lee

TopDollar69
04-26-2006, 08:14 AM
There might be two different spline paterns for the trucks, I have one out of a ramcharger on my laser right now. It does not have a flat spot, and it fit without any problems. I will have to count the amount of splines, I guess that will be the only way to know for sure.

CletusJones
04-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Well first of all, good luck finding a grey one, as they are very rare. They don't even show up on ebay too often. Maybe someone on here has one to sell though. OK there is NO modification you will need to do for your 87 daytona. Either its the wheel that fits, or its the wheel that doesn't fit. If the splines don't have a flat spot in it, then the wheel will NOT fit. So, If you pull a 4-spoke wheel out of a dodge truck, you can bet it won't fit. If you go for one on ebay, ask the seller to check for that flat spot.
good luck,
Lee
Color is unimportant. Hell, even if it's all dinged up and shitty looking I don't care. I'd planned on recovering the thing anyway. I'll keep an eye out for ones that have the flat spot, thanks.

CletusJones
04-26-2006, 08:31 AM
There might be two different spline paterns for the trucks, I have one out of a ramcharger on my laser right now. It does not have a flat spot, and it fit without any problems. I will have to count the amount of splines, I guess that will be the only way to know for sure.
I'm going to have the wheel off of my car this weekend to change the column lock, if you like I can count the splines and post the number here.

Lee'sdaytona
04-26-2006, 12:34 PM
There must be, because the one I have from a Ramcharger is not only missing the flat spot, but the splines are visually larger than the one on my daytona
PS:
I have a 4-spoke that will fit a daytona with the foam like cover. Can come with a black, tan, blue or red button.

I'll take $30 plus shipping for black with black button, or any other color button add $5 since they are harder to find.
-Lee

CletusJones
04-27-2006, 09:02 AM
There must be, because the one I have from a Ramcharger is not only missing the flat spot, but the splines are visually larger than the one on my daytona
PS:
I have a 4-spoke that will fit a daytona with the foam like cover. Can come with a black, tan, blue or red button.

I'll take $30 plus shipping for black with black button, or any other color button add $5 since they are harder to find.
-Lee
Send me a pic?

cletusjones@omg-stfu.com

Thanks