PDA

View Full Version : how to adjust front konis

spoolinhard
01-25-2015, 12:53 PM
I've had the konis rebuilt on my 87 glhs. It sits really high in front and the ride is terrible. I put the koni adjuster knob on them and it doesn't want to turn either way. I don't want to force it and break the knob. Any suggestions?

cordes
01-25-2015, 12:55 PM
I would spray with some kroil up there and let sit for a while. Jon Trotter broke one of his adjusters off a couple of years ago. He wasn't cranking on it either. Of course it broke flush with the top of the shaft so good luck making it turn again.

going4speed
01-25-2015, 01:16 PM
could be the sway bar is installed upside down too in regard the ride height.

4 l-bodies
01-25-2015, 01:24 PM
could be the sway bar is installed upside down too in regard the ride height.
+1. First thing I thought of when I heard it sits too high. Wouldn't be the first time that is for sure...
Todd

thedon809
01-25-2015, 02:21 PM
I've done that. I tightened the sway bar down with the car in the air. It was 4x4 mode and rode hard as a rock.

Reaper1
01-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Yeah, there's the issue. You don't tighten the sway bar down without the car's suspension compressed to ride height, otherwise it binds.

I would loosen it up, then drive the car up onto some ramps, then re-tighten it.

See if the ride gets any better. The adjustment on the Koni's is mainly for rebound control. Jounce is slightly affected, but not much. So, if this car has the stock suspension under it and you can push down on the front of the car and compress the suspension, then chances are the struts are locked up and need to be rebuilt.

johnl
01-28-2015, 08:41 PM
This might be useful.