PDA

View Full Version : door wiring harness on manual car?

mark
09-26-2006, 02:16 PM
My 91 r/t has no power anything, but when having the door panel off to look at window up/down issues I saw that it seems to have all the wiring in there for power windows and locks. Is this normal? It would make more sense for production. Also, production numbers for no power windows/locks are low aren't they? My pals mock me when I have to lean over to roll up/down the windows, but The way I see it, It's a few less things that can electrically fail.

MiniMopar
09-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Well , they usually have two type of harness: a power nothing harness and a power everything harness. So if you get one or two power accessories, you get it all. My 2nd Shadow had power mirrors, but manual everything else. It had all the wiring for the windows and doorlocks.

Maybe they ran out of bare-bones harnesses that week.

ShelbyMotorsports
09-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Typically the assembly line will have 2 or 3 different wiring harnesses for use on a particular car.

What normally dictates which harness they use is the cars model designation. For example an RT or LE model car would be considered a high-line car and would get a harness that includes all the option connectors.

A base model car or a SE model would get a low-line harness which wouldn't have connectors for power windows, power door locks, etc.

So even though you have manual windows on your RT it is still considered a high-line car and received the better harness.

Steve

ShelbyMotorsports
09-26-2006, 06:56 PM
but The way I see it, It's a few less things that can electrically fail.

Less options equal a lighter car and a lighter car equals a faster car :D

mark
09-26-2006, 08:58 PM
hehehe, good points