PDA

View Full Version : SMEC Filler material

ShelGame
01-07-2015, 09:44 PM
I've been looking for a while for a source for an epoxy similar to the one used in the SMEC and SBEC so that I don't have to use hot glue any more. I think I may have found the actual source.

http://www.epicresins.com/ApplicationPhotoGallery/SoftPolyurethanePotting

Seems oddly familiar...

acannell
01-07-2015, 10:05 PM
I've been looking for a while for a source for an epoxy similar to the one used in the SMEC and SBEC so that I don't have to use hot glue any more. I think I may have found the actual source.

http://www.epicresins.com/ApplicationPhotoGallery/SoftPolyurethanePotting

Seems oddly familiar...

lol thats amazing! Im only familiar with the sbec..is that actually a TM ecu in the pic?

ShelGame
01-07-2015, 10:09 PM
lol thats amazing! Im only familiar with the sbec..is that actually a TM ecu in the pic?

It is. I think its a later model SBECII for a truck.

135sohc
01-07-2015, 10:11 PM
2015 is off to a good start so far. Now just find some new 60 way connector shells and the whole package is complete.

shackwrrr
01-07-2015, 10:42 PM
What's next a whole new board with a MC9S12XEP100 processor, on the fly tuning, map tracing, onboard wideband, CAN bus for displays/ect

ajakeski
01-08-2015, 06:04 AM
The potting material contains isocyanates, use a mask and good ventalation.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/isocyanates/

ShelGame
01-08-2015, 10:16 AM
What's next a whole new board with a MC9S12XEP100 processor, on the fly tuning, map tracing, onboard wideband, CAN bus for displays/ect

Funny you mention that.

It seems to be getting harder and harder to find good core computers. So, I was just looking at the MicroSquirt Module. This is a credit card sized processor board used in the PnP computers that DIY AutoTune makes. I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to make a PnP board ourselves that uses that module and a salvaged 60-way board connector (they're surprisingly easy to salvage from a SMEC or SBEC).

But, then we have the issue of all of our tuning knowledge being thrown away. I'll have to inquire with Bowling & Grippo if it's allowable to modify their firmware to use the Chrysler logic and table format. It would be really sweet (IMO) to use a modern, MegaSquirt-based ECU and still be able to use the basic calibration data we already have.

Don't hold your breath, that's really a pipe dream at this point...

shackwrrr
01-08-2015, 10:48 AM
Funny you mention that.

It seems to be getting harder and harder to find good core computers. So, I was just looking at the MicroSquirt Module. This is a credit card sized processor board used in the PnP computers that DIY AutoTune makes. I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to make a PnP board ourselves that uses that module and a salvaged 60-way board connector (they're surprisingly easy to salvage from a SMEC or SBEC).

But, then we have the issue of all of our tuning knowledge being thrown away. I'll have to inquire with Bowling & Grippo if it's allowable to modify their firmware to use the Chrysler logic and table format. It would be really sweet (IMO) to use a modern, MegaSquirt-based ECU and still be able to use the basic calibration data we already have.

Don't hold your breath, that's really a pipe dream at this point...

I think just moving to the new format would be fine. For those that are too die hard to switch over, there would be plenty of cores to still support them. One of the reasons I still use the smec is the OEM quality and integration. If I were able to use megasquirt code but still keep cruise and other ecm controlled things the same with a plug in module I would jump on it. This doesn't help you out though as you would then have 2 setups to deal with.

wowzer
01-08-2015, 10:52 AM

this would be an incredible step forward. i doubt it would take long before the tuning side of things would catch up again.

ShelGame
01-08-2015, 11:23 AM
this would be an incredible step forward. i doubt it would take long before the tuning side of things would catch up again.

To me, some of the advantages of tuning the factory code is, you get to keep the factory driveability, emissions performance, and on-board diagnostics. Going to full-on MS, you lose some of that. And, we start over from square one tuning-wise. Then there's the knock sensor calibration. That's probably the big one.

2nd, the 2.2/2.5 distributor decoder for MS has been broken for a long time. We would need to fix that at least to make the PnP work.

Going slightly away from true PnP; add a few wires and that setup would make it easy to run waste spark - even with the HEP. We'd just need someone like Asa to make a billet HEP cover to replace the cap/rotor. ;)