PDA

View Full Version : 2003 pt turbo oil issue

stewdaddy23
12-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Looking at picking up a 03 pt turbo for a "good" price. Runs, drives, current inspection. Im told it is burning oil extremely fast and tail pipes sometimes smoke. It stops smoking when you put oil into it.-Any ideas on why it it doing this? Pvc sucking oil? Bad turbo??

shadow88
12-28-2014, 02:47 PM
With any engine regarding an oil consumption problem, the first thing to do it look for leaks, next step would be a leakdown test, the next items are what a leakdown test can't test. They're valve seals/guides and turbos and failed pcv systems.

Yes, pcv system failure as well as turbo oil drain hose restriction are possible as well. This one could be simple or very pricey.

A.J.
12-28-2014, 03:01 PM
These engine use very weak piston rings for economy. I've found on my SRT-4 van that if the valve cover vent hose isn't hooked up to the air filter/turbo inlet it will smoke at idle. I pulled the plugs and oil was on the pistons. With that hose hooked up I don't have any oil loss problems.

turbovanmanČ
12-28-2014, 04:34 PM
If its a good price, factor in a ring job and turbo rebuild, see if its worth it still.

stewdaddy23
12-28-2014, 04:41 PM
It's gonna be a beater then a parts car. Think they said it stops smoking after it warms up. Only looking to keep it running /driving for like 6 months for as cheap as I can

stewdaddy23
07-15-2015, 09:59 PM
update, pulled the turbo off and found the turbine wheel just sitting in the exhaust manni, and about 2 quarts of oil hanging out the intercooler pipe and intercooler, cleaned it all out and replace the turbo and oil feed line with parts from TU (THANKS ONCE AGAIN CHRIS), after replacing tans and oil cooler hoses, punching the CAT, once back together she fired right up and runs great. now just have to replace the LCA and she will pass VA inspection.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW that oil feed line is a PITA.

Keito
07-16-2015, 06:19 AM
Darrell Cox said from the get go these motors need vacuum to run correctly, and they will burn oil if a PCV system is not present.
This came after people were installing short ram intakes and sticking a little filter on the drivers side PCV port on the valve cover
and crying that the car was burning oil.