PDA

View Full Version : 5.9 Cummins with an Allison 1k/2k tranny?

Vader85
12-01-2014, 01:09 AM
Anyone done this mod b4?

DOHCRT
12-02-2014, 04:38 PM
Check TDR1.com. I'm pretty sure this has been done already, I know I would love to do it to my truck.

bakes
12-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Asian Warner 6spd is the swap i want to do

Spiritman
12-04-2014, 12:38 AM
Did u read over on cummins forum? They ripped both asin trannies apart and said there not that great. I say nv5600 swap. Plus it's probably in the realm of affordable.

thedon809
12-04-2014, 08:27 AM
I think I've seen 1 failed aisen in my 4 years at a dodge dealer.

Ondonti
12-06-2014, 07:32 AM
how much of an advantage is there when you can just put your transmission back together with improved parts? More gears?

thedon809
12-06-2014, 08:46 AM
The 68rfe is a 6 speed just like the aisen. The aisen has a PTO attachment, different gearing and its a little bit stronger. The only way you can get a new Cummins with 850 ftlbs is with the aisen.

shackwrrr
12-06-2014, 09:40 AM
The 68rfe isn't exactly a 6 speed. Normal driving is only 5 with a kickdown gear. 3rd gear(2nd prime) gets used in autostick(ers) and kickdown.

We have seen many aisin transmissions come In broken in stock 5500 rams, broken inputs, trashed clutches, ect. I would love to see a medium duty synchronized manual trans fitted that can handle the 850 ft lbs. The 650ft lb g56 trucks are pretty weak now that the auto trucks are pushing 900ft lbs.

bakes
12-06-2014, 10:13 AM
I think I've seen 1 failed aisen in my 4 years at a dodge dealer.
i seen and rebuilt more Allison's (9 total) to the none Asian Warner 6spd in a dealership

thedon809
12-06-2014, 12:28 PM
The 68rfe isn't exactly a 6 speed. Normal driving is only 5 with a kickdown gear. 3rd gear(2nd prime) gets used in autostick(ers) and kickdown.

We have seen many aisin transmissions come In broken in stock 5500 rams, broken inputs, trashed clutches, ect. I would love to see a medium duty synchronized manual trans fitted that can handle the 850 ft lbs. The 650ft lb g56 trucks are pretty weak now that the auto trucks are pushing 900ft lbs.A gear is a gear whether it utilizes it all the time or not. The 62te technically has 8 possible forward gears iirc but they don't use all of them. Its more or less a 42te with a compounder unit.

Spiritman
12-08-2014, 03:09 AM
I wasn't meaning that I think it's shitty or anything. Just saying from what I read it sounds like it's not going to live for very long in a high hp (modified) truck. Not that any trans will live to long unless it's beefed a bit to help with its harsh living environment.

Ondonti
12-08-2014, 07:20 AM
I wasn't meaning that I think it's shitty or anything. Just saying from what I read it sounds like it's not going to live for very long in a high hp (modified) truck. Not that any trans will live to long unless it's beefed a bit to help with its harsh living environment.

Which is why I don't understanding wanting to go to a completely different transmission when the parts are available for fixing your OEM transmission and those parts will cost less than the top OEM transmissions in stock form.

94GTC
12-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Which is why I don't understanding wanting to go to a completely different transmission when the parts are available for fixing your OEM transmission and those parts will cost less than the top OEM transmissions in stock form.
The Allison is a perfect match with gear ratios and really wakes up a 6BT. I have only driven non-modified trucks with the 6BT/Allison 1000, so I can't talk about holding up to power. Most of the Allison problems were kind of like the 604, related to electronics.

bakes
12-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Allisons have week 3 gear drop some higher than stock loads on it and they weld clutch packs without Mods

thedon809
12-16-2014, 07:55 PM
The Allison is a perfect match with gear ratios and really wakes up a 6BT. I have only driven non-modified trucks with the 6BT/Allison 1000, so I can't talk about holding up to power. Most of the Allison problems were kind of like the 604, related to electronics.The early 604's had way more problems than just electronics.

94GTC
12-17-2014, 02:49 PM
The early 604's had way more problems than just electronics.
I won't argue that, but alot of the early problems were caused by electronics. I would have rather had an automatic than my 6-speed in my 03, but I could not justify$4K on top of the price of a new truck, just to get one to hold up to planned power output. I would also argue that people are pulling far more weight than a pickup should EVER be pulling. I realize what they are rated at, but being safe to control, stop?????

thedon809
12-17-2014, 03:35 PM
I agree. If you are pulling 6500lbs and the truck is rated at 7,000lbs, it might be wise to get a bigger truck.

Ondonti
12-18-2014, 07:27 AM
I won't argue that, but alot of the early problems were caused by electronics. I would have rather had an automatic than my 6-speed in my 03, but I could not justify$4K on top of the price of a new truck, just to get one to hold up to planned power output. I would also argue that people are pulling far more weight than a pickup should EVER be pulling. I realize what they are rated at, but being safe to control, stop?????

Is your power goal reasonable or necessary? Simple converter and a few parts for 1000 or built to the hilt so you don't have to ever slow down up a grade...seems like a poor spending decision but one that the manly side of humanity always makes :D

I am kinda tempted to buy a 6bt and not try to make much power over stock but light build the transmission so it will survive pulling fairly heavy loads long term, even if that means slowing down. There is one nasty hill right before Pacific Raceways and its a motor killer.

94GTC
12-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Is your power goal reasonable or necessary? Simple converter and a few parts for 1000 or built to the hilt so you don't have to ever slow down up a grade...seems like a poor spending decision but one that the manly side of humanity always makes :D

I am kinda tempted to buy a 6bt and not try to make much power over stock but light build the transmission so it will survive pulling fairly heavy loads long term, even if that means slowing down. There is one nasty hill right before Pacific Raceways and its a motor killer.
When I bought my 03 new, I was told that 50h.p. upgrade is about all the trans could handle, for a while. A friend of my put a converter, and a valve body in his 07 and pulls a 36' 5th wheel car hauler and has had no issues. He has BD upgraded power adders, and I would guess, it's not close to my Smarty in power. I don't need thee power, heck I don't even tow with it any more, but barking the tires in 4th, after a grampa shift, is fun. I don't know if $2500 would get you any more than a few bolt ons, and no billet parts.