PDA

View Full Version : NiCopp or steel brake lines

marc
11-26-2014, 01:34 PM
I need to replace the brake lines on my Daytona. So I googled 3/16ths steel line and something called NiCopp came up. I did some searching on this and it seems to be DOT approved and most everybody likes them because of the ease of bending, flaring, and corrosion proof. But I'm not 100% sold on it when good ol' steel tubing has worked fine for years. Has anybody here used this stuff? I would like some real world answers. Thanks.

Pat
11-26-2014, 01:46 PM
I just used it for brake lines on my Dakota. Everything I read on it was overwhelmingly positive, so I gave it a try. Super easy to work with. So far, so good.

Dr. Johny Dodge
11-26-2014, 01:53 PM
turns green and fuzzy with age

also be cautious of tubeing wall thickness - some of the new (asian) stuff is to thin

turbovanmanČ
11-26-2014, 08:21 PM
Use it and love it. Put some on a customers car a year ago and they still look brand new. Super easy to work with and don't rust or corrode.

marc
11-26-2014, 08:38 PM
Thank you everyone. The only thing I'm concern about now is they may work harden over the years. I would love to hear from someone who has use them long term.

onerippinturbo2
11-26-2014, 09:25 PM
the stuff is DOT certified for use in braking systems. volvo has used it for years, no problems.

Gearhead24-7
11-26-2014, 09:39 PM
It's fantastic stuff. I've been using it for both brake and fuel line for years. It's well worth the extra money.

shadow88
11-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Thank you everyone. The only thing I'm concern about now is they may work harden over the years. I would love to hear from someone who has use them long term.

I only heard about it roughly a year ago from a fellow mechanic friend and he loves the stuff. As far as I can tell, it's reasonably new to the aftermarket of about 2 years so that's about as long term testing as you may find, aside from the Volvo comment earlier.

iTurbo
11-27-2014, 11:07 PM
I used it to redo the fuel lines (3/8") on a Spirit R/T and I really like it. I got the prefabricated lines from NAPA and bent them up/installed them myself.

marc
11-28-2014, 08:20 AM
Thanks everyone, just ordered a 25 foot coil of 3/16 NiCopp.

135sohc
11-28-2014, 05:33 PM
AGS isn't going to risk their reputation and/or severe backlash from selling substandard brake line (NiCopp). FedHill used to have an exclusive monopoly on the copper-nickel brake line market so its not surprising to hear them sling mud and trash talk someone else.

Shadow24
12-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Interestingly enough, Copper was used extensively in brake lines prior to WWII. During WWII, copper was needed and most auto manufacturers switched to steel. Additionally, if you look at NHTSA data from that time period, there was a severe spike in brake-failure related accidents starting about 3-4 years after phasing out the copper brake line until the manufacturers figured out coatings and/or sacrificial wraps on the steel brake lines.

With its corrosion resistance, ease of bending and higher burst pressure, Lucy 2.0 got all CuNiFer brake lines. Over 2 years sitting and a few months driving and they only look a little dull/greenish. I'll put this stuff on any time I have to do a brake line if I can.

marc
12-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Interestingly enough, Copper was used extensively in brake lines prior to WWII. During WWII, copper was needed and most auto manufacturers switched to steel. Additionally, if you look at NHTSA data from that time period, there was a severe spike in brake-failure related accidents starting about 3-4 years after phasing out the copper brake line until the manufacturers figured out coatings and/or sacrificial wraps on the steel brake lines.

With its corrosion resistance, ease of bending and higher burst pressure, Lucy 2.0 got all CuNiFer brake lines. Over 2 years sitting and a few months driving and they only look a little dull/greenish. I'll put this stuff on any time I have to do a brake line if I can.

Interesting, I love the history lesson!