PDA

View Full Version : Lots of new consuliers

GTP#44
11-23-2014, 04:25 PM
I found this cool pic of lots of Consuliers under construction.
Johnny,I know you will want a better copy so I will email it to you.

Reaper1
11-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Is that a Ferrari in the back left corner?

DaveSkrab
11-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Sweet! Love seeing vintage pictures.

168glhs1986
11-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Nice picture! Where on earth did you find it?

GTP#44
11-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Nice picture! Where on earth did you find it?
I found about six pictures while helping my honey clean up her garage.
Also found a super nice brand new in the box MT 900 slot car signed by Warren and all the board members on the box/plastic cover.
The MT900 slot car has won many world championships.
The red covers on the cars in the picture are to protect the paint during construction.

Johnny
11-23-2014, 08:30 PM
What a great shot!

BadAssPerformance
11-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Sweet find!

Is that a Ferrari in the back left corner?

Sure looks like it

Rrider
11-24-2014, 08:30 PM
New desktop background, thank you for posting this!

Here is an interesting kinja comment from user TimKern that relates to the days depicted in this photo-

Warren Mosler was a student of mine in race driving school, and he was always coming up with ideas to make a faster car. Weight, he knew, rather than raw horsepower, was the key. He got a lot of the original composite technology from boat-building. The Consulier's wheelbase and track came from my own 914-6, which, he reasoned, would give enough room to put the (Shelby) 2.2 turbo in front of the rear axle, using the Chrysler components and good aftermarket shocks. The rear-spoiler radiator was my idea: it was to pass air at any speed, but become more and more opaque to the airflow (thus increasing downforce) as the car's speed rose. It worked for cooling, and may have helped high speeds, but we never got enough time to optimize the design.
Bob McKee designed the chassis, and Fred Fiala and I tested the sled at Milwaukee, where we discovered that the Dodge Omni steering rack was too slow.
I drove a Consulier (and sometimes two — I picked up Tom Sneva's car after he had done some evaluation driving on it) for three years or so, and bettered by over a second the ITA lap record at Woody Creek (near Aspen, CO, where the altitude made the turbo a favorite!) on a track day, while my girlfriend screamed and giggled in the right seat. The guy with the 427 Cobra wanted to talk with me...
Helped Bobby Rahal with chassis setting at his Charlotte driving school. Never got involved with subsequent cars, though.
Warren Mosler is a brilliant man. He's extremely thoughtful, and doesn't let a topic rest until he's thoroughly understood it, and is finished with it. That's how he was able to build and sell cars, when others couldn't. "A gentleman and a scholar," and a good friend.